It's been a long time...

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3 7:56 PM
      Well guys, after receiving my PPC back from HP yesterday, I've now
      had about 20 mins to start coding changes to the existing app
      (building upon 1.3.1a).

      1.3.1b will have improved functionality. I've already implemented
      code to display what is going on during the load process and display
      how big the file actually is in Kb. This should help track down the
      problems that we are having. Since no one has posted one of their
      big sheets for me to try out, I'll just wait and see what is reported
      with the new functionality.

      I've also started to reorganize the Main page.

      I've modified the Hit Point area, since I found the previous version,
      although well coded a bit clunky. I've added a text box to type in
      your hit points(defaulted to 1) and a + and - button. The Reset
      button (R) will still be present.

      There is quite a bit of information on the main page, but not all of
      it needs to be displayed at all times. I'm thinking about reducing
      the saves, and the melee and ranged attacks down to 3 columns. The
      Name (of course), the Total, and the Temp fields. This will not stop
      you from viewing this information, since it is important, all it
      means is that you will have to click on the Total field to get the
      full scoop on what is going on (similar to the AC button). This will
      add considerable space to the sheet and hopefully allow me to perform
      the other enhancements that I will be detailing below.

      I will be adding code to automatically create the Spells directory
      and the Characters directories under PCGScry and move the appropriate
      files to them upon detection, that the directories don't already
      exist.

      I want to add the 'Class Abilities' section for classes. I know that
      Ross wanted to add it, I'll be investigating the possibility of
      adding it. If I don't get a chance to code it by the next version,
      it will at least have a place holder section on the main page.

      I would like to add a rest/sleep button that would add your level in
      hit points and restore your spells, and any other abilities that you
      get on a day to day basis. Not a difficult coding job, but one that
      I think that would improve the character upkeep.

      I would also like to add a money textbox, to be able to keep track of
      gold, and such in a decimal format.

      On the Bio page, I want to add functionality that will allow for you
      to update the experience of the character.

      LIST OF ITEMS TO BE FIXED.
      ==========================
      1) [MAJOR]I have to investigate the logic surrounding the state
      saving and discover why it doesn't work in PPC2003.
      2) [MINOR]I have to fix a problem with the AC button. It will not
      update when values are added into the Temp Dex score.
      3) [MAJOR]Fix the problems with large files... (but I need some feed
      back to get this done).

      That's about all that I have for now, depending on how much time I
      have the new Beta of the vb file should be posted at some point this
      weekend and I'll let you know what goodies I've been able to through
      in.

      I would like to know if what everyone thinks of these changes and
      enhancements... You might even have others and I'd like to hear about
      them.

      Have a great week everyone. Talk to ya all this week-end!

      Murray H. Smith
    • Greg Bassett
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4 2:49 AM
        I look forward to all these changes. Thanks for your time and effort.

        I am so glad that I can go "paperless" now at sessions.

      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4 4:26 AM
          > I would like to know if what everyone thinks of these changes and
          > enhancements... You might even have others and I'd like to hear about
          > them.

          I've been subscribed to this list for some time, but have only recently
          gotten a PocketPC device. Is there an installation program, or do I just
          copy stuff? Is this a .NET application, or embedded VB? If the latter, how
          big is the runtime, and can I run it off of an expansion card?
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4 2:44 PM
            These are all really good questions. The code itself is an embedded
            VB application that Ross designed, which is really cool since the
            environment is downloadable from Microsoft for free. It does however
            have it's quirks with the PPC O/S that I'm still working through.

            The initial install is a cab file that can be downloaded from:
            <a
            href="http://www.metacraft.com/PCGScry/#download">http://www.metacraft
            .com/PCGScry/#download</a>
            All you need to do is copy the cab file to a directory on the Pocket
            PC, and double click on it (from the Pocket PC). That's the initial
            install. I haven't created another cab file for it yet, since I'm
            still trying to enhance certain sections of the code and fix some
            problems that I've encountered on my PPC. Once I've corrected these
            and any others that I can fit in, I'll post the code back up to the
            site, since others may want to have a crack at coding it with the
            updated code.

            You will need the runtime which is about 2.853 Kb for the ARM
            runtimes which can be found at:
            <a
            href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/devel
            oper/evb.mspx">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downlo
            ads/developer/evb.mspx</a>

            As for whether the app can be run off of an expansion card... I have
            to admit that I haven't tried it although someone might be able to
            give more input on this.

            I'm still fairly new at the Pocket PC thing myself since I've only
            had mine since the end of Dec, and even then it's been at HP more
            often then not. *SIGH* I've learned never to install their firmware
            upgrades or perform a hard reset. One of these doesn't work properly
            on my model, and after 2 tries without my PPC I don't want to go for
            a third.

            I hope that this helps...

            Murray H. Smith

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4 2:50 PM
              No problem Greg. I intend on using it as much as you guys do. I was
              a previous user of PCGenView on the Palm for over a year, so I'm now
              familiar with both sides of the these types of software. I think
              that PCGScry has quite a bit of potential, and I have to admit that I
              code for a living and I was impressed with Ross's coding style. He
              did a really good job, so I'm trying to keep this true to his coding
              standards, and look and feel of the application.

              I still keep a paper copy for the time being of my sheets, but mostly
              just for 2 weapon fighting, missile weapon upkeep and the like.

              I just hope that you enjoy 1.3.1b when it comes out this weekend. I
              haven't spent much time on it all in all, but it should still have
              several changes to it.

              Thanks Greg and I'll talk to you later.

              Murray H. Smith

              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett" <gregorybassett@h...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4 2:55 PM
                Sorry about the 2 links, here they are again:
                http://www.metacraft.com/PCGScry/#download

                http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/developer/e
                vb.mspx

                Murray.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4 3:02 PM
                  I beleive that if you load the main file from metacraft and then run it on a
                  PPC 2003 device, it will automatically try and connect and get the embedded
                  VB files you will need.

                  Greg

> [...]
                  > > upgrades or perform a hard reset. One of these doesn't work
                  >properly
                  > > on my model, and after 2 tries without my PPC I don't want to go
                  >for
                  > > a third.
                  > >
                  > > I hope that this helps...
                  > >
                  > > Murray H. Smith
                  > >
                  > > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...>
                  >and
                  > > about
                  > > >
                  > > > I've been subscribed to this list for some time, but have only
                  > > recently
                  > > > gotten a PocketPC device. Is there an installation program, or
                  >do
                  > > I just
                  > > > copy stuff? Is this a .NET application, or embedded VB? If the
                  > > latter, how
                  > > > big is the runtime, and can I run it off of an expansion card?

                  Find high-speed �net deals � comparison-shop your local providers here.
                  https://broadband.msn.com