Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
      That's interesting Tom.

      I tested it with my Ranger/Rogue and my Sorceror characters with no
      problem. Maybe if you could ship me a copy of the xml character
      sheets, I could try and find what the problem is. It could be due to
      the size of the character files... mine are only about 18K and 16K.
      I'd be interested to try it out on mine just to see (when I get mine
      back).

      As for the problem with the saving of the characters, I might have
      missed something in that code, I have to admit that I really didn't
      look at it or modify it in anyway, so it is probably another glitch
      to fix. I'll be looking into it when I get the chance.

      Let me know if you want to send me the one character that you want
      the most and I'll look into it.

      Murray H. Smith

      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
      > I got it to load on my 3835 with PPC 2003. It seems to work for
      now. However
      > I have an issue with two of the three characters I use. The one
      that works
      > is a Dwarf fighter. The two that don't work are my Ranger (have to
      have) and
      > a magic user I use occasionally. I did notice the file sizes are
      different.
      > The dwarf is 19.7K, the ranger is 34.2K and the MU is 26.8K. Didn't
      know IF
      > this had anything to do with it. I got the same results using the
      latest
      > template from the group files and tried 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 versions of
      Pcgen.
      > Both of them show the character names and no stats, etc.
      >
      > I also get an error when I try to save the current state of the
      character.

      > Thanks,
      > Tom Simpson
      > tsimpson@t...
      >
      > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
      the
      > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

      Printer

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
        Thanks Greg! I'm looking forward to getting it back soon. I'll make
        sure to keep those components just in case they go missing.

        Take care and I hope that everything goes well with the new beta
        version.

        Murray H. Smith

        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett" <gregorybassett@h...>
        wrote:
        > I feel your pain, my ipaq had a gravity issue, but man, they got
        that sucker
        > back to me in 3 days, it was amazing.
        >
        > If you haven't send it in yet, remove the battery and stylus...
        when I got
        > mine back I got a free battery they forgot to remove.
        >
        > I will test the file and post a reply here if I encountered any
        weirdness.

        > Greg
        >
        > P.S. Thanks for the work.
        >

        > >From: "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...>
        > >To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [PCGScry] Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)
        > >Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:09:02 -0000
        > >
        > >Yep. Since my pocket pc kinda blew up while doing the firmware
        > >upgrade today though, I was unable to test the latest code, that
        > >performs the changes automatically for you.
        > >
        > >What I'll do is I'll post the preliminary compiled program for
        > >testing, but you'll have to create a spells subdirectory in PCGScry
        > >and it'll look for the characters in the root of the PCGScry
        > >directory.
        > >
        > >The compiled file will be accessible as 1.3.1a since I haven't made
        > >all of the changes necessary for me to be "happy" enough with the
        > >change to post the code back up to the site yet. But, I'll be more
        > >than happy to hear back from any Beta testers to find out if they
        > >liked the change or not.
        > >
        > >When my Ipaq comes back in about 3-5 days, I should be able to work
        > >on the final 1.3.2 for everyone, but in the meantime this should
        fix
        > >the immediate problems and allow for people to load their character
        > >sheets.
        > >
        > >Take care... gotta post the file.
        > >
        > >Murray H. Smith
        > >
        > >--- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett"
        <gregorybassett@h...>
        > >wrote:
        > > > sounds great, was that pocketPC 2003 that you tested that on?

        > >into
        > >moving
        > >that

        > >then

        Learn

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
          Cool. I heard from Tom that there is some issues around saving the
          character, which I'll look into and he's having problems with large
          xml file sizes.

          I'll be investigating these at my next convenience. Ross did a lot
          of good work. I've been noticing though that there are quite a few
          eVB items/commands that really don't work in Pocket PC 2003.

          Take care Greg and I'll talk to ya later... This isn't the last
          version by far.

          wrote:

          > I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick
          sample
          > character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but
          it seems
          > to be working for me.
          >
          > Thanks

          > Find high-speed `net deals — comparison-shop your local providers
          here.
          > https://broadband.msn.com
        • Tom Simpson
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
            Ok,
            I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to recreate the
            character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it again.
            The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the updated vb
            file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another character that
            is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so I was
            wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off is, might
            help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load IF they
            are over a certain size.

            Thanks,
            Tom Simpson
            tsimpson@...

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > --
            > believed to be clean.
            >

            > --
            > believed to be clean.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

            believed to be clean.

            believed to be clean.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
              That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character. If
              possible could you post your problematic character sheet. The bigger
              the better (so that even includes your old ranger). I've just
              reconnected my computer today (since I was out computer gaming this
              weekend with friends) and I've just received my Pocket PC back
              although I still want to try and upgrade the firmware on it, before I
              get back to coding. This PocketPC is even running with an older
              version of the Pocket PC O/S.

              I just don't have any BIG character sheets to test on. Once I get
              that I can tell you exactly how many characters the cutoff is... and
              maybe even up it in some fashion (no guarantees though) either by
              changing the export sheet (since it is currently exporting 100 feats
              whether you have them or not) or changing the executable.

              There are some tweaks that I can look into as well.

              Let me know Tom! : )

            • Tom Simpson
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                Murray,

                Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet actually. What
                made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file was also a
                lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had created that
                character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it from
                version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7 it was
                small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried several test
                characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between version
                updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I have
                ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that having to
                redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                Thanks,
                Tom Simpson
                tsimpson@...

                "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character.  If possible
                could you post your problematic character sheet.  The bigger the better (so
                that even includes your old ranger).   I've just reconnected my computer
                today (since I was out computer gaming this weekend with friends) and I've
                just received my Pocket PC back although I still want to try and upgrade the
                firmware on it, before I get back to coding.  This PocketPC is even running
                with an older version of the Pocket PC O/S. I just don't have any BIG
                character sheets to test on.  Once I get that I can tell you exactly how
                many characters the cutoff is... and maybe even up it in some fashion (no
                guarantees though) either by changing the export sheet (since it is
                currently exporting 100 feats whether you have them or not) or changing the
                executable. There are some tweaks that I can look into as well. Let me know
                Tom! : ) Murray H. Smith
                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                > Ok,
                > I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to
                recreate the
                > character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it
                again.
                > The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the
                updated vb
                > file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another
                character that
                > is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so
                I was
                > wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off
                is, might
                > help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load
                IF they
                > are over a certain size.
                >

                > Thanks,
                > Tom Simpson
                > tsimpson@t...
                >
                > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                the
                > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                  No problem Tom. I just thought that if you still have a character
                  sheet that is too big, I could do some testing with it to ensure what
                  the maximum size is... and maybe either fix it or throw in a message
                  stating that the file is too large or something. That way it is
                  obvious to the user, instead of it not displaying anything.

                  Let me know what you think.

                  Talk to ya again soon! : )

                  Murray H. Smith

                  P.S. I've just learned why I should NEVER EVER perform a firmware
                  upgrade on a Pocket PC. The piece of junk blew up my Pocket PC after
                  I performed a hard reset. I'm kind of missing the Palm days now...
                  :(

                • jml@cyberkeep.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                    --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                    > Murray,
                    >
                    > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                    actually. What
                    > made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file
                    was also a
                    > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                    created that
                    > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                    from
                    > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                    > blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                    it was
                    > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                    several test
                    > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                    > there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                    > removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between
                    version
                    > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                    > release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I
                    have
                    > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                    having to
                    > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                    All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still
                    end up as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level
                    and 12th level with a lot of equipment.
                  • Tom Simpson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                      The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                      weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I think) that
                      was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for the
                      character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues, so I now
                      load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get them
                      down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were problems were
                      about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                      originally. I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on the pc
                      between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.

                      Thanks,
                      Tom Simpson
                      tsimpson@...

                      "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                      same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                      > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                      actually. What
                      > made me think about redoing it was that the  pcgen character file
                      was also a
                      > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                      created that
                      > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                      from
                      > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly
                      > to blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                      it was
                      > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                      several test
                      > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I
                      > think there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't
                      > getting removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp
                      > between
                      version
                      > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime
                      > they release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first
                      > time I
                      have
                      > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                      having to
                      > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.
                      All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still end up
                      as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level and 12th level
                      with a lot of equipment. Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web,
                      go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry/

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                        There might be an upper limit to the size of the file that it can
                        load but I might be able to work around it, however I'd like to be
                        able to test it with an existing 'problem' character sheet. It'll
                        save me the time of trying to reproduce the results that you guys are
                        already getting.

                        It'll also save me time so that I can focus on the list of
                        enhancements that need to be performed for the next version.

                        Let me know...

                        Murray.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                          Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?

                          Just curious...

                          Murray.

                        • Tom Simpson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                            The newer version of PCGen seem to have more memory errors, than the earlier
                            versions, that I have seen. I get a lot of out of memory errors. I think it
                            was 5.5.5 or 5.5.4 that would run about 5 minutes and wouldn't work due to
                            the errors. I just try to keep from staying in it longer than I have to.

                            Thanks,
                            Tom Simpson
                            tsimpson@...

                            "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                            same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                            Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?
                            Just curious...
                            Murray.
                            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                            > The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                            > weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I
                            think) that
                            > was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for
                            the
                            > character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues,
                            so I now
                            > load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get
                            them
                            > down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were
                            problems were
                            > about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                            > originally.  I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on
                            the pc
                            > between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.
                            >

                            > Thanks,
                            > Tom Simpson
                            > tsimpson@t...
                            >
                            > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                            the
                            > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12csr0tvn/M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupw
                            eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1076469154/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
                            ult?mqso=60178397&partid=4521717
                            http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ne/netflix/yhoo0104_b_300250a.gif
                            http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupweb/
                            S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=453847648

                          • peliason@mindspring.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                              Will these new versions of PCGScry still be compatible with my old HP Jornada 540 series with the SH3 processor?
                              I was able to run older versions in the past. (prior to the dark days of OGL)

                              ~Patrick~