RE: [PCGScry] Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)

  • Tom Simpson
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
      I got it to load on my 3835 with PPC 2003. It seems to work for now. However
      I have an issue with two of the three characters I use. The one that works
      is a Dwarf fighter. The two that don't work are my Ranger (have to have) and
      a magic user I use occasionally. I did notice the file sizes are different.
      The dwarf is 19.7K, the ranger is 34.2K and the MU is 26.8K. Didn't know IF
      this had anything to do with it. I got the same results using the latest
      template from the group files and tried 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 versions of Pcgen.
      Both of them show the character names and no stats, etc.

      I also get an error when I try to save the current state of the character.

      Thanks,
      Tom Simpson
      tsimpson@...

      "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
      same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
        That's interesting Tom.

        I tested it with my Ranger/Rogue and my Sorceror characters with no
        problem. Maybe if you could ship me a copy of the xml character
        sheets, I could try and find what the problem is. It could be due to
        the size of the character files... mine are only about 18K and 16K.
        I'd be interested to try it out on mine just to see (when I get mine
        back).

        As for the problem with the saving of the characters, I might have
        missed something in that code, I have to admit that I really didn't
        look at it or modify it in anyway, so it is probably another glitch
        to fix. I'll be looking into it when I get the chance.

        Let me know if you want to send me the one character that you want
        the most and I'll look into it.

        Murray H. Smith

        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
        > I got it to load on my 3835 with PPC 2003. It seems to work for
        now. However
        > I have an issue with two of the three characters I use. The one
        that works
        > is a Dwarf fighter. The two that don't work are my Ranger (have to
        have) and
        > a magic user I use occasionally. I did notice the file sizes are
        different.
        > The dwarf is 19.7K, the ranger is 34.2K and the MU is 26.8K. Didn't
        know IF
        > this had anything to do with it. I got the same results using the
        latest
        > template from the group files and tried 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 versions of
        Pcgen.
        > Both of them show the character names and no stats, etc.
        >
        > I also get an error when I try to save the current state of the
        character.

        > Thanks,
        > Tom Simpson
        > tsimpson@t...
        >
        > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
        the
        > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

        Printer

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
          Thanks Greg! I'm looking forward to getting it back soon. I'll make
          sure to keep those components just in case they go missing.

          Take care and I hope that everything goes well with the new beta
          version.

          Murray H. Smith

          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett" <gregorybassett@h...>
          wrote:
          > I feel your pain, my ipaq had a gravity issue, but man, they got
          that sucker
          > back to me in 3 days, it was amazing.
          >
          > If you haven't send it in yet, remove the battery and stylus...
          when I got
          > mine back I got a free battery they forgot to remove.
          >
          > I will test the file and post a reply here if I encountered any
          weirdness.

          > Greg
          >
          > P.S. Thanks for the work.
          >

          > >From: "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...>
          > >To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [PCGScry] Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)
          > >Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:09:02 -0000
          > >
          > >Yep. Since my pocket pc kinda blew up while doing the firmware
          > >upgrade today though, I was unable to test the latest code, that
          > >performs the changes automatically for you.
          > >
          > >What I'll do is I'll post the preliminary compiled program for
          > >testing, but you'll have to create a spells subdirectory in PCGScry
          > >and it'll look for the characters in the root of the PCGScry
          > >directory.
          > >
          > >The compiled file will be accessible as 1.3.1a since I haven't made
          > >all of the changes necessary for me to be "happy" enough with the
          > >change to post the code back up to the site yet. But, I'll be more
          > >than happy to hear back from any Beta testers to find out if they
          > >liked the change or not.
          > >
          > >When my Ipaq comes back in about 3-5 days, I should be able to work
          > >on the final 1.3.2 for everyone, but in the meantime this should
          fix
          > >the immediate problems and allow for people to load their character
          > >sheets.
          > >
          > >Take care... gotta post the file.
          > >
          > >Murray H. Smith
          > >
          > >--- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett"
          <gregorybassett@h...>
          > >wrote:
          > > > sounds great, was that pocketPC 2003 that you tested that on?

          > >into
          > >moving
          > >that

          > >then

          Learn

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
            Cool. I heard from Tom that there is some issues around saving the
            character, which I'll look into and he's having problems with large
            xml file sizes.

            I'll be investigating these at my next convenience. Ross did a lot
            of good work. I've been noticing though that there are quite a few
            eVB items/commands that really don't work in Pocket PC 2003.

            Take care Greg and I'll talk to ya later... This isn't the last
            version by far.

            wrote:

            > I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick
            sample
            > character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but
            it seems
            > to be working for me.
            >
            > Thanks

            > Find high-speed `net deals — comparison-shop your local providers
            here.
            > https://broadband.msn.com
          • Tom Simpson
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
              Ok,
              I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to recreate the
              character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it again.
              The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the updated vb
              file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another character that
              is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so I was
              wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off is, might
              help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load IF they
              are over a certain size.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > --
              > believed to be clean.
              >

              > --
              > believed to be clean.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

              believed to be clean.

              believed to be clean.
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character. If
                possible could you post your problematic character sheet. The bigger
                the better (so that even includes your old ranger). I've just
                reconnected my computer today (since I was out computer gaming this
                weekend with friends) and I've just received my Pocket PC back
                although I still want to try and upgrade the firmware on it, before I
                get back to coding. This PocketPC is even running with an older
                version of the Pocket PC O/S.

                I just don't have any BIG character sheets to test on. Once I get
                that I can tell you exactly how many characters the cutoff is... and
                maybe even up it in some fashion (no guarantees though) either by
                changing the export sheet (since it is currently exporting 100 feats
                whether you have them or not) or changing the executable.

                There are some tweaks that I can look into as well.

                Let me know Tom! : )

              • Tom Simpson
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                  Murray,

                  Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet actually. What
                  made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file was also a
                  lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had created that
                  character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it from
                  version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                  blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7 it was
                  small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried several test
                  characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                  there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                  removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between version
                  updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                  release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I have
                  ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that having to
                  redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                  Thanks,
                  Tom Simpson
                  tsimpson@...

                  "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                  same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                  That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character.  If possible
                  could you post your problematic character sheet.  The bigger the better (so
                  that even includes your old ranger).   I've just reconnected my computer
                  today (since I was out computer gaming this weekend with friends) and I've
                  just received my Pocket PC back although I still want to try and upgrade the
                  firmware on it, before I get back to coding.  This PocketPC is even running
                  with an older version of the Pocket PC O/S. I just don't have any BIG
                  character sheets to test on.  Once I get that I can tell you exactly how
                  many characters the cutoff is... and maybe even up it in some fashion (no
                  guarantees though) either by changing the export sheet (since it is
                  currently exporting 100 feats whether you have them or not) or changing the
                  executable. There are some tweaks that I can look into as well. Let me know
                  Tom! : ) Murray H. Smith
                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                  > Ok,
                  > I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to
                  recreate the
                  > character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it
                  again.
                  > The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the
                  updated vb
                  > file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another
                  character that
                  > is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so
                  I was
                  > wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off
                  is, might
                  > help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load
                  IF they
                  > are over a certain size.
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  > Tom Simpson
                  > tsimpson@t...
                  >
                  > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                  the
                  > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                  Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                    No problem Tom. I just thought that if you still have a character
                    sheet that is too big, I could do some testing with it to ensure what
                    the maximum size is... and maybe either fix it or throw in a message
                    stating that the file is too large or something. That way it is
                    obvious to the user, instead of it not displaying anything.

                    Let me know what you think.

                    Talk to ya again soon! : )

                    Murray H. Smith

                    P.S. I've just learned why I should NEVER EVER perform a firmware
                    upgrade on a Pocket PC. The piece of junk blew up my Pocket PC after
                    I performed a hard reset. I'm kind of missing the Palm days now...
                    :(

                  • jml@cyberkeep.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                      > Murray,
                      >
                      > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                      actually. What
                      > made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file
                      was also a
                      > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                      created that
                      > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                      from
                      > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                      > blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                      it was
                      > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                      several test
                      > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                      > there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                      > removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between
                      version
                      > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                      > release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I
                      have
                      > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                      having to
                      > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                      All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still
                      end up as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level
                      and 12th level with a lot of equipment.
                    • Tom Simpson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                        The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                        weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I think) that
                        was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for the
                        character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues, so I now
                        load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get them
                        down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were problems were
                        about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                        originally. I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on the pc
                        between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.

                        Thanks,
                        Tom Simpson
                        tsimpson@...

                        "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                        same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                        > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                        actually. What
                        > made me think about redoing it was that the  pcgen character file
                        was also a
                        > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                        created that
                        > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                        from
                        > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly
                        > to blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                        it was
                        > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                        several test
                        > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I
                        > think there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't
                        > getting removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp
                        > between
                        version
                        > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime
                        > they release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first
                        > time I
                        have
                        > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                        having to
                        > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.
                        All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still end up
                        as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level and 12th level
                        with a lot of equipment. Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web,
                        go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry/

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                          There might be an upper limit to the size of the file that it can
                          load but I might be able to work around it, however I'd like to be
                          able to test it with an existing 'problem' character sheet. It'll
                          save me the time of trying to reproduce the results that you guys are
                          already getting.

                          It'll also save me time so that I can focus on the list of
                          enhancements that need to be performed for the next version.

                          Let me know...

                          Murray.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                            Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?

                            Just curious...

                            Murray.

                          • Tom Simpson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                              The newer version of PCGen seem to have more memory errors, than the earlier
                              versions, that I have seen. I get a lot of out of memory errors. I think it
                              was 5.5.5 or 5.5.4 that would run about 5 minutes and wouldn't work due to
                              the errors. I just try to keep from staying in it longer than I have to.

                              Thanks,
                              Tom Simpson
                              tsimpson@...

                              "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                              same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                              Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?
                              Just curious...
                              Murray.
                              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                              > The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                              > weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I
                              think) that
                              > was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for
                              the
                              > character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues,
                              so I now
                              > load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get
                              them
                              > down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were
                              problems were
                              > about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                              > originally.  I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on
                              the pc
                              > between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.
                              >

                              > Thanks,
                              > Tom Simpson
                              > tsimpson@t...
                              >
                              > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                              the
                              > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12csr0tvn/M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupw
                              eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1076469154/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
                              ult?mqso=60178397&partid=4521717
                              http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ne/netflix/yhoo0104_b_300250a.gif
                              http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupweb/
                              S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=453847648

                            • peliason@mindspring.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                Will these new versions of PCGScry still be compatible with my old HP Jornada 540 series with the SH3 processor?
                                I was able to run older versions in the past. (prior to the dark days of OGL)

                                ~Patrick~