RE: [PCGScry] Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)

  • Greg Bassett
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
      I feel your pain, my ipaq had a gravity issue, but man, they got that sucker
      back to me in 3 days, it was amazing.

      If you haven't send it in yet, remove the battery and stylus... when I got
      mine back I got a free battery they forgot to remove.

      I will test the file and post a reply here if I encountered any weirdness.

      Greg

      P.S. Thanks for the work.

    • Greg Bassett
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
        I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick sample
        character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but it seems
        to be working for me.

        Thanks

        Find high-speed �net deals � comparison-shop your local providers here.
        https://broadband.msn.com
      • Tom Simpson
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
          I got it to load on my 3835 with PPC 2003. It seems to work for now. However
          I have an issue with two of the three characters I use. The one that works
          is a Dwarf fighter. The two that don't work are my Ranger (have to have) and
          a magic user I use occasionally. I did notice the file sizes are different.
          The dwarf is 19.7K, the ranger is 34.2K and the MU is 26.8K. Didn't know IF
          this had anything to do with it. I got the same results using the latest
          template from the group files and tried 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 versions of Pcgen.
          Both of them show the character names and no stats, etc.

          I also get an error when I try to save the current state of the character.

          Thanks,
          Tom Simpson
          tsimpson@...

          "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
          same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

          I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick sample
          character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but it seems
          to be working for me.

          Thanks

          Find high-speed 'net deals - comparison-shop your local providers here.
          https://broadband.msn.com

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/7tRolB/TM

          believed to be clean.

          believed to be clean.
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
            That's interesting Tom.

            I tested it with my Ranger/Rogue and my Sorceror characters with no
            problem. Maybe if you could ship me a copy of the xml character
            sheets, I could try and find what the problem is. It could be due to
            the size of the character files... mine are only about 18K and 16K.
            I'd be interested to try it out on mine just to see (when I get mine
            back).

            As for the problem with the saving of the characters, I might have
            missed something in that code, I have to admit that I really didn't
            look at it or modify it in anyway, so it is probably another glitch
            to fix. I'll be looking into it when I get the chance.

            Let me know if you want to send me the one character that you want
            the most and I'll look into it.

            Murray H. Smith

            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
            > I got it to load on my 3835 with PPC 2003. It seems to work for
            now. However
            > I have an issue with two of the three characters I use. The one
            that works
            > is a Dwarf fighter. The two that don't work are my Ranger (have to
            have) and
            > a magic user I use occasionally. I did notice the file sizes are
            different.
            > The dwarf is 19.7K, the ranger is 34.2K and the MU is 26.8K. Didn't
            know IF
            > this had anything to do with it. I got the same results using the
            latest
            > template from the group files and tried 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 versions of
            Pcgen.
            > Both of them show the character names and no stats, etc.
            >
            > I also get an error when I try to save the current state of the
            character.

            > Thanks,
            > Tom Simpson
            > tsimpson@t...
            >
            > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
            the
            > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

            Printer

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
              Thanks Greg! I'm looking forward to getting it back soon. I'll make
              sure to keep those components just in case they go missing.

              Take care and I hope that everything goes well with the new beta
              version.

              wrote:
              > I feel your pain, my ipaq had a gravity issue, but man, they got
              that sucker
              > back to me in 3 days, it was amazing.
              >
              > If you haven't send it in yet, remove the battery and stylus...
              when I got
              > mine back I got a free battery they forgot to remove.
              >
              > I will test the file and post a reply here if I encountered any
              weirdness.

              > Greg
              >
              > P.S. Thanks for the work.
              >

              > >From: "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...>
              > >To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [PCGScry] Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)
              > >Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:09:02 -0000
              > >
              > >Yep. Since my pocket pc kinda blew up while doing the firmware
              > >upgrade today though, I was unable to test the latest code, that
              > >performs the changes automatically for you.
              > >
              > >What I'll do is I'll post the preliminary compiled program for
              > >testing, but you'll have to create a spells subdirectory in PCGScry
              > >and it'll look for the characters in the root of the PCGScry
              > >directory.
              > >
              > >The compiled file will be accessible as 1.3.1a since I haven't made
              > >all of the changes necessary for me to be "happy" enough with the
              > >change to post the code back up to the site yet. But, I'll be more
              > >than happy to hear back from any Beta testers to find out if they
              > >liked the change or not.
              > >
              > >When my Ipaq comes back in about 3-5 days, I should be able to work
              > >on the final 1.3.2 for everyone, but in the meantime this should
              fix
              > >the immediate problems and allow for people to load their character
              > >sheets.
              > >
              > >Take care... gotta post the file.
              > >
              > >Murray H. Smith
              > >
              > >--- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett"
              <gregorybassett@h...>
              > >wrote:
              > > > sounds great, was that pocketPC 2003 that you tested that on?

              > >into
              > >moving
              > >that

              > >then

              Learn

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
                Cool. I heard from Tom that there is some issues around saving the
                character, which I'll look into and he's having problems with large
                xml file sizes.

                I'll be investigating these at my next convenience. Ross did a lot
                of good work. I've been noticing though that there are quite a few
                eVB items/commands that really don't work in Pocket PC 2003.

                Take care Greg and I'll talk to ya later... This isn't the last
                version by far.

                wrote:

                > I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick
                sample
                > character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but
                it seems
                > to be working for me.
                >
                > Thanks

                > Find high-speed `net deals — comparison-shop your local providers
                here.
                > https://broadband.msn.com
              • Tom Simpson
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
                  Ok,
                  I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to recreate the
                  character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it again.
                  The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the updated vb
                  file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another character that
                  is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so I was
                  wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off is, might
                  help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load IF they
                  are over a certain size.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > --
                  > believed to be clean.
                  >

                  > --
                  > believed to be clean.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                  believed to be clean.

                  believed to be clean.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                    That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character. If
                    possible could you post your problematic character sheet. The bigger
                    the better (so that even includes your old ranger). I've just
                    reconnected my computer today (since I was out computer gaming this
                    weekend with friends) and I've just received my Pocket PC back
                    although I still want to try and upgrade the firmware on it, before I
                    get back to coding. This PocketPC is even running with an older
                    version of the Pocket PC O/S.

                    I just don't have any BIG character sheets to test on. Once I get
                    that I can tell you exactly how many characters the cutoff is... and
                    maybe even up it in some fashion (no guarantees though) either by
                    changing the export sheet (since it is currently exporting 100 feats
                    whether you have them or not) or changing the executable.

                    There are some tweaks that I can look into as well.

                    Let me know Tom! : )

                  • Tom Simpson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                      Murray,

                      Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet actually. What
                      made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file was also a
                      lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had created that
                      character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it from
                      version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                      blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7 it was
                      small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried several test
                      characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                      there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                      removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between version
                      updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                      release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I have
                      ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that having to
                      redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                      Thanks,
                      Tom Simpson
                      tsimpson@...

                      "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                      same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                      That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character.  If possible
                      could you post your problematic character sheet.  The bigger the better (so
                      that even includes your old ranger).   I've just reconnected my computer
                      today (since I was out computer gaming this weekend with friends) and I've
                      just received my Pocket PC back although I still want to try and upgrade the
                      firmware on it, before I get back to coding.  This PocketPC is even running
                      with an older version of the Pocket PC O/S. I just don't have any BIG
                      character sheets to test on.  Once I get that I can tell you exactly how
                      many characters the cutoff is... and maybe even up it in some fashion (no
                      guarantees though) either by changing the export sheet (since it is
                      currently exporting 100 feats whether you have them or not) or changing the
                      executable. There are some tweaks that I can look into as well. Let me know
                      Tom! : ) Murray H. Smith
                      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                      > Ok,
                      > I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to
                      recreate the
                      > character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it
                      again.
                      > The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the
                      updated vb
                      > file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another
                      character that
                      > is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so
                      I was
                      > wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off
                      is, might
                      > help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load
                      IF they
                      > are over a certain size.
                      >

                      > Thanks,
                      > Tom Simpson
                      > tsimpson@t...
                      >
                      > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                      the
                      > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                      Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                        No problem Tom. I just thought that if you still have a character
                        sheet that is too big, I could do some testing with it to ensure what
                        the maximum size is... and maybe either fix it or throw in a message
                        stating that the file is too large or something. That way it is
                        obvious to the user, instead of it not displaying anything.

                        Let me know what you think.

                        Talk to ya again soon! : )

                        Murray H. Smith

                        P.S. I've just learned why I should NEVER EVER perform a firmware
                        upgrade on a Pocket PC. The piece of junk blew up my Pocket PC after
                        I performed a hard reset. I'm kind of missing the Palm days now...
                        :(

                      • jml@cyberkeep.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                          > Murray,
                          >
                          > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                          actually. What
                          > made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file
                          was also a
                          > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                          created that
                          > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                          from
                          > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                          > blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                          it was
                          > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                          several test
                          > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                          > there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                          > removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between
                          version
                          > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                          > release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I
                          have
                          > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                          having to
                          > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                          All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still
                          end up as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level
                          and 12th level with a lot of equipment.
                        • Tom Simpson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                            The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                            weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I think) that
                            was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for the
                            character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues, so I now
                            load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get them
                            down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were problems were
                            about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                            originally. I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on the pc
                            between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.

                            Thanks,
                            Tom Simpson
                            tsimpson@...

                            "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                            same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                            > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                            actually. What
                            > made me think about redoing it was that the  pcgen character file
                            was also a
                            > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                            created that
                            > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                            from
                            > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly
                            > to blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                            it was
                            > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                            several test
                            > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I
                            > think there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't
                            > getting removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp
                            > between
                            version
                            > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime
                            > they release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first
                            > time I
                            have
                            > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                            having to
                            > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.
                            All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still end up
                            as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level and 12th level
                            with a lot of equipment. Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web,
                            go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry/

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                              There might be an upper limit to the size of the file that it can
                              load but I might be able to work around it, however I'd like to be
                              able to test it with an existing 'problem' character sheet. It'll
                              save me the time of trying to reproduce the results that you guys are
                              already getting.

                              It'll also save me time so that I can focus on the list of
                              enhancements that need to be performed for the next version.

                              Let me know...

                              Murray.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?

                                Just curious...

                                Murray.

                              • Tom Simpson
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                  The newer version of PCGen seem to have more memory errors, than the earlier
                                  versions, that I have seen. I get a lot of out of memory errors. I think it
                                  was 5.5.5 or 5.5.4 that would run about 5 minutes and wouldn't work due to
                                  the errors. I just try to keep from staying in it longer than I have to.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Tom Simpson
                                  tsimpson@...

                                  "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                                  same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                                  Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?
                                  Just curious...
                                  Murray.
                                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                                  > The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                                  > weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I
                                  think) that
                                  > was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for
                                  the
                                  > character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues,
                                  so I now
                                  > load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get
                                  them
                                  > down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were
                                  problems were
                                  > about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                                  > originally.  I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on
                                  the pc
                                  > between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.
                                  >

                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Tom Simpson
                                  > tsimpson@t...
                                  >
                                  > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                                  the
                                  > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12csr0tvn/M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupw
                                  eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1076469154/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
                                  ult?mqso=60178397&partid=4521717
                                  http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ne/netflix/yhoo0104_b_300250a.gif
                                  http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupweb/
                                  S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=453847648

                                • peliason@mindspring.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                    Will these new versions of PCGScry still be compatible with my old HP Jornada 540 series with the SH3 processor?
                                    I was able to run older versions in the past. (prior to the dark days of OGL)

                                    ~Patrick~