Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
      Yep. Since my pocket pc kinda blew up while doing the firmware
      upgrade today though, I was unable to test the latest code, that
      performs the changes automatically for you.

      What I'll do is I'll post the preliminary compiled program for
      testing, but you'll have to create a spells subdirectory in PCGScry
      and it'll look for the characters in the root of the PCGScry
      directory.

      The compiled file will be accessible as 1.3.1a since I haven't made
      all of the changes necessary for me to be "happy" enough with the
      change to post the code back up to the site yet. But, I'll be more
      than happy to hear back from any Beta testers to find out if they
      liked the change or not.

      When my Ipaq comes back in about 3-5 days, I should be able to work
      on the final 1.3.2 for everyone, but in the meantime this should fix
      the immediate problems and allow for people to load their character
      sheets.

      Take care... gotta post the file.

      Murray H. Smith

      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett" <gregorybassett@h...>
      wrote:
      > sounds great, was that pocketPC 2003 that you tested that on?
      >

      > >From: "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...>
      > >To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [PCGScry] Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)
      > >Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:01:49 -0000
      > >
      > >I haven't forgotten about you guys...
      > >
      > >I've made some changes in the PCGScry code. The program now has a
      > >combo box of all of the xml character sheet files on the main
      > >screen. All you have to do now is select the appropriate character
      > >(that will be in the character folder/directory) and press the open
      > >button. I've tested this on my pocket pc and everything seems to
      > >work fairly well. I'll be posting it soon for beta testing.
      > >
      > >I've also worked on changing around the structure of the directory
      > >that PCGScry is installed in. I'll be adding 2 new directories
      into
      > >it. The first will be for character xml files, and the second will
      > >be for the Spells xml files. I'm a little bit of a neatness freak
      > >when it comes to installations, and I prefer to have everything in
      > >their proper place when it comes to files. Don't worry about
      moving
      > >files around though, I'll be modifying the code to handle it so
      that
      > >it will make the appropriate changes for the upgrade(but I haven't
      > >developed that part yet...maybe tomorrow).
      > >
      > >Once, I've completed coding the routines for the new directories
      then
      > >I'll release the beta onto the site and you can let me know how
      > >things work or don't work.
      > >
      > >Til then... Thanks for your patience! : )
      > >
      > >Murray H. Smith

      more.
      > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=hotmail/es2&ST=1
    • Greg Bassett
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
        I feel your pain, my ipaq had a gravity issue, but man, they got that sucker
        back to me in 3 days, it was amazing.

        If you haven't send it in yet, remove the battery and stylus... when I got
        mine back I got a free battery they forgot to remove.

        I will test the file and post a reply here if I encountered any weirdness.

        Greg

        P.S. Thanks for the work.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
          I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick sample
          character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but it seems
          to be working for me.

          Thanks

          Find high-speed �net deals � comparison-shop your local providers here.
          https://broadband.msn.com
        • Tom Simpson
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
            I got it to load on my 3835 with PPC 2003. It seems to work for now. However
            I have an issue with two of the three characters I use. The one that works
            is a Dwarf fighter. The two that don't work are my Ranger (have to have) and
            a magic user I use occasionally. I did notice the file sizes are different.
            The dwarf is 19.7K, the ranger is 34.2K and the MU is 26.8K. Didn't know IF
            this had anything to do with it. I got the same results using the latest
            template from the group files and tried 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 versions of Pcgen.
            Both of them show the character names and no stats, etc.

            I also get an error when I try to save the current state of the character.

            Thanks,
            Tom Simpson
            tsimpson@...

            "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
            same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

            I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick sample
            character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but it seems
            to be working for me.

            Thanks

            Find high-speed 'net deals - comparison-shop your local providers here.
            https://broadband.msn.com

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/7tRolB/TM

            believed to be clean.

            believed to be clean.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
              That's interesting Tom.

              I tested it with my Ranger/Rogue and my Sorceror characters with no
              problem. Maybe if you could ship me a copy of the xml character
              sheets, I could try and find what the problem is. It could be due to
              the size of the character files... mine are only about 18K and 16K.
              I'd be interested to try it out on mine just to see (when I get mine
              back).

              As for the problem with the saving of the characters, I might have
              missed something in that code, I have to admit that I really didn't
              look at it or modify it in anyway, so it is probably another glitch
              to fix. I'll be looking into it when I get the chance.

              Let me know if you want to send me the one character that you want
              the most and I'll look into it.

              Murray H. Smith

              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
              > I got it to load on my 3835 with PPC 2003. It seems to work for
              now. However
              > I have an issue with two of the three characters I use. The one
              that works
              > is a Dwarf fighter. The two that don't work are my Ranger (have to
              have) and
              > a magic user I use occasionally. I did notice the file sizes are
              different.
              > The dwarf is 19.7K, the ranger is 34.2K and the MU is 26.8K. Didn't
              know IF
              > this had anything to do with it. I got the same results using the
              latest
              > template from the group files and tried 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 versions of
              Pcgen.
              > Both of them show the character names and no stats, etc.
              >
              > I also get an error when I try to save the current state of the
              character.

              > Thanks,
              > Tom Simpson
              > tsimpson@t...
              >
              > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
              the
              > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

              Printer

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
                Thanks Greg! I'm looking forward to getting it back soon. I'll make
                sure to keep those components just in case they go missing.

                Take care and I hope that everything goes well with the new beta
                version.

                wrote:
                > I feel your pain, my ipaq had a gravity issue, but man, they got
                that sucker
                > back to me in 3 days, it was amazing.
                >
                > If you haven't send it in yet, remove the battery and stylus...
                when I got
                > mine back I got a free battery they forgot to remove.
                >
                > I will test the file and post a reply here if I encountered any
                weirdness.

                > Greg
                >
                > P.S. Thanks for the work.
                >

                > >From: "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...>
                > >To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [PCGScry] Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)
                > >Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:09:02 -0000
                > >
                > >Yep. Since my pocket pc kinda blew up while doing the firmware
                > >upgrade today though, I was unable to test the latest code, that
                > >performs the changes automatically for you.
                > >
                > >What I'll do is I'll post the preliminary compiled program for
                > >testing, but you'll have to create a spells subdirectory in PCGScry
                > >and it'll look for the characters in the root of the PCGScry
                > >directory.
                > >
                > >The compiled file will be accessible as 1.3.1a since I haven't made
                > >all of the changes necessary for me to be "happy" enough with the
                > >change to post the code back up to the site yet. But, I'll be more
                > >than happy to hear back from any Beta testers to find out if they
                > >liked the change or not.
                > >
                > >When my Ipaq comes back in about 3-5 days, I should be able to work
                > >on the final 1.3.2 for everyone, but in the meantime this should
                fix
                > >the immediate problems and allow for people to load their character
                > >sheets.
                > >
                > >Take care... gotta post the file.
                > >
                > >Murray H. Smith
                > >
                > >--- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett"
                <gregorybassett@h...>
                > >wrote:
                > > > sounds great, was that pocketPC 2003 that you tested that on?

                > >into
                > >moving
                > >that

                > >then

                Learn

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 20, 2004
                  Cool. I heard from Tom that there is some issues around saving the
                  character, which I'll look into and he's having problems with large
                  xml file sizes.

                  I'll be investigating these at my next convenience. Ross did a lot
                  of good work. I've been noticing though that there are quite a few
                  eVB items/commands that really don't work in Pocket PC 2003.

                  Take care Greg and I'll talk to ya later... This isn't the last
                  version by far.

                  wrote:

                  > I went ahead and loaded it all up and I was able to load a quick
                  sample
                  > character. I have not really screwed around with it too much, but
                  it seems
                  > to be working for me.
                  >
                  > Thanks

                  > Find high-speed `net deals — comparison-shop your local providers
                  here.
                  > https://broadband.msn.com
                • Tom Simpson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
                    Ok,
                    I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to recreate the
                    character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it again.
                    The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the updated vb
                    file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another character that
                    is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so I was
                    wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off is, might
                    help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load IF they
                    are over a certain size.

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    > --
                    > believed to be clean.
                    >

                    > --
                    > believed to be clean.

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                    believed to be clean.

                    believed to be clean.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                      That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character. If
                      possible could you post your problematic character sheet. The bigger
                      the better (so that even includes your old ranger). I've just
                      reconnected my computer today (since I was out computer gaming this
                      weekend with friends) and I've just received my Pocket PC back
                      although I still want to try and upgrade the firmware on it, before I
                      get back to coding. This PocketPC is even running with an older
                      version of the Pocket PC O/S.

                      I just don't have any BIG character sheets to test on. Once I get
                      that I can tell you exactly how many characters the cutoff is... and
                      maybe even up it in some fashion (no guarantees though) either by
                      changing the export sheet (since it is currently exporting 100 feats
                      whether you have them or not) or changing the executable.

                      There are some tweaks that I can look into as well.

                      Let me know Tom! : )

                    • Tom Simpson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                        Murray,

                        Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet actually. What
                        made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file was also a
                        lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had created that
                        character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it from
                        version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                        blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7 it was
                        small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried several test
                        characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                        there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                        removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between version
                        updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                        release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I have
                        ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that having to
                        redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                        Thanks,
                        Tom Simpson
                        tsimpson@...

                        "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                        same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                        That's a lot of work Tom to try and recreate your character.  If possible
                        could you post your problematic character sheet.  The bigger the better (so
                        that even includes your old ranger).   I've just reconnected my computer
                        today (since I was out computer gaming this weekend with friends) and I've
                        just received my Pocket PC back although I still want to try and upgrade the
                        firmware on it, before I get back to coding.  This PocketPC is even running
                        with an older version of the Pocket PC O/S. I just don't have any BIG
                        character sheets to test on.  Once I get that I can tell you exactly how
                        many characters the cutoff is... and maybe even up it in some fashion (no
                        guarantees though) either by changing the export sheet (since it is
                        currently exporting 100 feats whether you have them or not) or changing the
                        executable. There are some tweaks that I can look into as well. Let me know
                        Tom! : ) Murray H. Smith
                        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                        > Ok,
                        > I got my ranger character to load finally! I ended up having to
                        recreate the
                        > character in PCGEN, to get the file size down and then exported it
                        again.
                        > The new one is 21.5K and loads without any problems with the
                        updated vb
                        > file. I can finally use my PPC for gaming now! I have another
                        character that
                        > is 26.8K in size after export to the PPC and won't load either, so
                        I was
                        > wondering if anyone might have an idea of what the actual cut off
                        is, might
                        > help to prevent some traffic if everyone knew that they won't load
                        IF they
                        > are over a certain size.
                        >

                        > Thanks,
                        > Tom Simpson
                        > tsimpson@t...
                        >
                        > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                        the
                        > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                        Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                          No problem Tom. I just thought that if you still have a character
                          sheet that is too big, I could do some testing with it to ensure what
                          the maximum size is... and maybe either fix it or throw in a message
                          stating that the file is too large or something. That way it is
                          obvious to the user, instead of it not displaying anything.

                          Let me know what you think.

                          Talk to ya again soon! : )

                          Murray H. Smith

                          P.S. I've just learned why I should NEVER EVER perform a firmware
                          upgrade on a Pocket PC. The piece of junk blew up my Pocket PC after
                          I performed a hard reset. I'm kind of missing the Palm days now...
                          :(

                        • jml@cyberkeep.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                            > Murray,
                            >
                            > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                            actually. What
                            > made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file
                            was also a
                            > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                            created that
                            > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                            from
                            > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
                            > blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                            it was
                            > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                            several test
                            > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
                            > there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
                            > removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between
                            version
                            > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
                            > release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I
                            have
                            > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                            having to
                            > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

                            All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still
                            end up as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level
                            and 12th level with a lot of equipment.
                          • Tom Simpson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                              The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                              weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I think) that
                              was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for the
                              character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues, so I now
                              load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get them
                              down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were problems were
                              about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                              originally. I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on the pc
                              between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.

                              Thanks,
                              Tom Simpson
                              tsimpson@...

                              "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                              same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                              > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
                              actually. What
                              > made me think about redoing it was that the  pcgen character file
                              was also a
                              > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
                              created that
                              > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
                              from
                              > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly
                              > to blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
                              it was
                              > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
                              several test
                              > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I
                              > think there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't
                              > getting removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp
                              > between
                              version
                              > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime
                              > they release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first
                              > time I
                              have
                              > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
                              having to
                              > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.
                              All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still end up
                              as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level and 12th level
                              with a lot of equipment. Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web,
                              go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry/

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                There might be an upper limit to the size of the file that it can
                                load but I might be able to work around it, however I'd like to be
                                able to test it with an existing 'problem' character sheet. It'll
                                save me the time of trying to reproduce the results that you guys are
                                already getting.

                                It'll also save me time so that I can focus on the list of
                                enhancements that need to be performed for the next version.

                                Let me know...

                                Murray.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                  Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?

                                  Just curious...

                                  Murray.

                                • Tom Simpson
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                    The newer version of PCGen seem to have more memory errors, than the earlier
                                    versions, that I have seen. I get a lot of out of memory errors. I think it
                                    was 5.5.5 or 5.5.4 that would run about 5 minutes and wouldn't work due to
                                    the errors. I just try to keep from staying in it longer than I have to.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Tom Simpson
                                    tsimpson@...

                                    "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                                    same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                                    Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?
                                    Just curious...
                                    Murray.
                                    --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
                                    > The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
                                    > weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I
                                    think) that
                                    > was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for
                                    the
                                    > character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues,
                                    so I now
                                    > load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get
                                    them
                                    > down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were
                                    problems were
                                    > about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
                                    > originally.  I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on
                                    the pc
                                    > between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.
                                    >

                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Tom Simpson
                                    > tsimpson@t...
                                    >
                                    > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
                                    the
                                    > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12csr0tvn/M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupw
                                    eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1076469154/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
                                    ult?mqso=60178397&partid=4521717
                                    http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ne/netflix/yhoo0104_b_300250a.gif
                                    http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupweb/
                                    S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=453847648

                                  • peliason@mindspring.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                                      Will these new versions of PCGScry still be compatible with my old HP Jornada 540 series with the SH3 processor?
                                      I was able to run older versions in the past. (prior to the dark days of OGL)

                                      ~Patrick~