RE: [PCGScry] Re: PCGEN Output sheets

  • Mariano Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
      Hi Tom,
      The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt display the
      character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be that the style
      sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format of the
      PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet for PCGScry
      is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the tags with the
      new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time consuming.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
        Well, I would agree that this would be the problem, BUT for the fact
        that I have been trying to use this app since the first template
        came out (version 3 I think). I have even downloaded the older
        versions of PCGen, to make sure that it was all compatible with the
        templates and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
        running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
        with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a cold
        start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a new
        unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me select
        the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
        information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix it
        along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
        problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that I
        could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate with
        it.

        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
          Hey Tom,

          You aren't out to lunch on this one... Even after fixing the 5.00
          template for myself I've still been having problems.

          I've just recently grabbed the code and looked around at the app.
          I've added a bunch of debugging statements in it and ran it on my
          pocketpc (with the 2003 o/s), it also has the same problems.

          From what I can tell the problem is in the SelectChar() routine of
          the code. Once the cdlgMain.ShowOpen command gets fired off it
          doesn't return itself back to the SelectChar() so that it can parse
          the xml file. This is why the character sheet always looks blank.
          Due to this glitch in the way that the 2003 PocketPC O/S seems to
          work it doesn't look like you'll ever be able to open a character
          sheet (my opinion & experiences) until that glitch is bypassed/fixed.

          I'm not sure, if I'll be able to fix it though... or whether I have
          the sanctioning of Ross to do so. I've got a fair VB background, but
          I'm a little new to the Ipaq/PocketPC world.

          I'll keep you posted if I find out anything else.

          Take care Tom!

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
            Well,

            IMHO he has put the code out for download in the group. And has told me in
            an email that he doesn't support it any more for updates, etc. I wouldn’t
            think it is an issue to fix something and rerelease it. I was going to play
            with the source myself, but don't have time, due to work now (US military
            contractor), and don't have the tools currently to do anything about it.

            Let me know. I will be a willing ALPHA and/or BETA tester for any updates to
            the software!

            Thanks,
            Tom Simpson
            tsimpson@...

            "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
            same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

> [...]
            > it.
            >

            > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"
            > <el_che_guevara@h...> wrote:
            > > Hi Tom,
            > > The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt
            display
            > the
            > > character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be
            that
            > the style
            > > sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format
            > of the
            > > PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet
            > for PCGScry
            > > is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the
            tags
            > with the
            > > new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

            believed to be clean.

            believed to be clean.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
              Hi Guys ... please feel free to consider the program open source. Go ahead
              and make changes and distribute the results. Just make sure anyone that
              wants to can check out your code changes. It would also be a good idea to
              assign version numbers and document exactly what changes are made as you
              go. That will make it much easier for others to do additional work based
              on your work.

              -Ross

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                No problem Tom. I've just gotten the go ahead from Ross. I'll see
                what I can do in the next couple of days and get back to you.

                I'm in a couple of campaigns and I'm REALLY desperate to get it
                working, since it'll save on my paper trail.

                I'll keep you posted.

                Murray Smith

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                  Thanks Ross for the go ahead. I'll see if I can take a crack at it.

                  The versioning is always a good idea and I'll put a suffix of a
                  letter on anything that I ship up to the yahoo group. I'll document
                  anything that I put into place, when and why in the forms when I make
                  changes to the program. They are all good suggestions, I just wasn't
                  expecting that I've have to go in and make changes.

                  So far, I've published the version 500a of the output sheet for
                  everyone in the group to grab. It won't fix all of the problems, but
                  it'll at least allow them to output their sheets for PCGEN 5 properly.

                  Thanks again Ross!

                  Murray H. Smith

                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Carlson" <yahoogroups@m...>

                • Tom Simpson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                    Murray,

                    I just downloaded the template, it seems to work with the new BETA 5.5.6
                    version, IF anyone is interested. I still get the same issues with my ppc,
                    so I am assuming that it works.

                    wrote:
> [...]
                    the
                    > >> templat
                    > > es and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
                    > >> running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
                    > >> with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a
                    cold
                    > >> start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a
                    new
                    > >> unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me
                    > > select
                    > >> the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
                    > >> information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix
                    > > it
                    > >> along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
                    > >> problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that
                    > >> could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cq2bd5i/M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupw
                    eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1074046762/A=1944183/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/j
                    ump/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;ord=1073960362324627?
                    http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;
                    ord=1073960362324627?
                    http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupmail
                    /S=:HM/A=1944183/rand=813647491

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                      Thanks for the update Tom! : )

                      I'm still investigating the problems in the load process using
                      PPC2003. There seems to be quite a bit more to this than meets the
                      eye. I've tried to hardcode as much as I can just for testing
                      purposes, I've even managed to get a please wait screen while the
                      information started to load my character sheet.

                      The unfortunate part is that when I put in display messages into the
                      code to show me the name and level of my character, these fields were
                      blank, so from what I can tell so far there will need to be an entire
                      overhaul of the loading routines... I'm not entirely sure if I will
                      be up to the task, but I'll give it a go this weekend and let you all
                      know...

                      'Til then.

                      Murray Smith

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 20, 2004
                        The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                        is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                        tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.

                        Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.

                        Murray H. Smith.

                        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "bounty_hunter_42101" <briancoy@a...>
                        wrote:
                        > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN 5.4
                        > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one. I'd
                        be
                        > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
                      • bounty_hunter_42101
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 21, 2004
                          Thnaks , I'll try it out and see how it goes.

                          Brian

                          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...> wrote:
                          > The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                          > is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                          > tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.
                          >
                          > Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.
                          >
                          > Murray H. Smith.

                        • Tom Simpson