Re: PCGEN Output sheets

  • Tom Simpson
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
      I was looking at this same error with 5.5.5. It seems that when the
      export hits the featall% variable it gives an error for each feat,
      FEAT0 through FEAT99 ( I think) If I comment this section out, the
      error goes away, however, I have never gotten the characters to be
      viewable on my IPAQ anyways, so I was just hoping that this would
      fix my problem, don't know what commenting this section out in the
      output sheet will do for others.

      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, Kent Behrends <kent.maillist@b...>
      wrote:

      > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
      >
      > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
      5.4
      > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
      I'd be
      > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
      >
      > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
      all
      > it required last time :)
      >
      > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
      > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
      expected
      > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
      >
      > ---
      > Kent Behrends
    • Tom Simpson
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003

        wrote:

        > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
        >
        > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
        5.4
        > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
        I'd be
        > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
        >
        > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
        all
        > it required last time :)
        >
        > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
        > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
        expected
        > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
        >
        > ---
        > Kent Behrends
      • Mariano Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
          Hi Tom,
          The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt display the
          character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be that the style
          sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format of the
          PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet for PCGScry
          is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the tags with the
          new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time consuming.

          wrote:

          > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
          >
          > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
          5.4
          > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
          I'd be
          > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
          >
          > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
          all
          > it required last time :)
          >
          > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
          > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
          expected
          > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
          >
          > ---
          > Kent Behrends

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Tom Simpson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
            Well, I would agree that this would be the problem, BUT for the fact
            that I have been trying to use this app since the first template
            came out (version 3 I think). I have even downloaded the older
            versions of PCGen, to make sure that it was all compatible with the
            templates and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
            running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
            with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a cold
            start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a new
            unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me select
            the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
            information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix it
            along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
            problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that I
            could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate with
            it.

            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
              Hey Tom,

              You aren't out to lunch on this one... Even after fixing the 5.00
              template for myself I've still been having problems.

              I've just recently grabbed the code and looked around at the app.
              I've added a bunch of debugging statements in it and ran it on my
              pocketpc (with the 2003 o/s), it also has the same problems.

              From what I can tell the problem is in the SelectChar() routine of
              the code. Once the cdlgMain.ShowOpen command gets fired off it
              doesn't return itself back to the SelectChar() so that it can parse
              the xml file. This is why the character sheet always looks blank.
              Due to this glitch in the way that the 2003 PocketPC O/S seems to
              work it doesn't look like you'll ever be able to open a character
              sheet (my opinion & experiences) until that glitch is bypassed/fixed.

              I'm not sure, if I'll be able to fix it though... or whether I have
              the sanctioning of Ross to do so. I've got a fair VB background, but
              I'm a little new to the Ipaq/PocketPC world.

              I'll keep you posted if I find out anything else.

              Take care Tom!

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                Well,

                IMHO he has put the code out for download in the group. And has told me in
                an email that he doesn't support it any more for updates, etc. I wouldn’t
                think it is an issue to fix something and rerelease it. I was going to play
                with the source myself, but don't have time, due to work now (US military
                contractor), and don't have the tools currently to do anything about it.

                Let me know. I will be a willing ALPHA and/or BETA tester for any updates to
                the software!

                Thanks,
                Tom Simpson
                tsimpson@...

                "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

> [...]
                > it.
                >

                > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"
                > <el_che_guevara@h...> wrote:
                > > Hi Tom,
                > > The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt
                display
                > the
                > > character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be
                that
                > the style
                > > sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format
                > of the
                > > PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet
                > for PCGScry
                > > is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the
                tags
                > with the
                > > new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                believed to be clean.

                believed to be clean.
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                  Hi Guys ... please feel free to consider the program open source. Go ahead
                  and make changes and distribute the results. Just make sure anyone that
                  wants to can check out your code changes. It would also be a good idea to
                  assign version numbers and document exactly what changes are made as you
                  go. That will make it much easier for others to do additional work based
                  on your work.

                  -Ross

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                    No problem Tom. I've just gotten the go ahead from Ross. I'll see
                    what I can do in the next couple of days and get back to you.

                    I'm in a couple of campaigns and I'm REALLY desperate to get it
                    working, since it'll save on my paper trail.

                    I'll keep you posted.

                    Murray Smith

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                      Thanks Ross for the go ahead. I'll see if I can take a crack at it.

                      The versioning is always a good idea and I'll put a suffix of a
                      letter on anything that I ship up to the yahoo group. I'll document
                      anything that I put into place, when and why in the forms when I make
                      changes to the program. They are all good suggestions, I just wasn't
                      expecting that I've have to go in and make changes.

                      So far, I've published the version 500a of the output sheet for
                      everyone in the group to grab. It won't fix all of the problems, but
                      it'll at least allow them to output their sheets for PCGEN 5 properly.

                      Thanks again Ross!

                      Murray H. Smith

                      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Carlson" <yahoogroups@m...>

                    • Tom Simpson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                        Murray,

                        I just downloaded the template, it seems to work with the new BETA 5.5.6
                        version, IF anyone is interested. I still get the same issues with my ppc,
                        so I am assuming that it works.

                        wrote:
> [...]
                        the
                        > >> templat
                        > > es and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
                        > >> running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
                        > >> with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a
                        cold
                        > >> start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a
                        new
                        > >> unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me
                        > > select
                        > >> the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
                        > >> information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix
                        > > it
                        > >> along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
                        > >> problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that
                        > >> could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cq2bd5i/M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupw
                        eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1074046762/A=1944183/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/j
                        ump/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;ord=1073960362324627?
                        http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;
                        ord=1073960362324627?
                        http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupmail
                        /S=:HM/A=1944183/rand=813647491

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                          Thanks for the update Tom! : )

                          I'm still investigating the problems in the load process using
                          PPC2003. There seems to be quite a bit more to this than meets the
                          eye. I've tried to hardcode as much as I can just for testing
                          purposes, I've even managed to get a please wait screen while the
                          information started to load my character sheet.

                          The unfortunate part is that when I put in display messages into the
                          code to show me the name and level of my character, these fields were
                          blank, so from what I can tell so far there will need to be an entire
                          overhaul of the loading routines... I'm not entirely sure if I will
                          be up to the task, but I'll give it a go this weekend and let you all
                          know...

                          'Til then.

                          Murray Smith

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 20, 2004
                            The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                            is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                            tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.

                            Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.

                            Murray H. Smith.

                            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "bounty_hunter_42101" <briancoy@a...>
                            wrote:
                            > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN 5.4
                            > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one. I'd
                            be
                            > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
                          • bounty_hunter_42101
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 21, 2004
                              Thnaks , I'll try it out and see how it goes.

                              Brian

                              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...> wrote:
                              > The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                              > is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                              > tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.
                              >
                              > Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.
                              >
                              > Murray H. Smith.

                            • Tom Simpson