Re: [PCGScry] PCGEN Output sheets

  • Kent Behrends
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 21, 2003
      On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:

      > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN 5.4
      > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one. I'd be
      > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...

      Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was all
      it required last time :)

      Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
      using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you expected
      text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.

      ---
      Kent Behrends
    • Tom Simpson
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
        I was looking at this same error with 5.5.5. It seems that when the
        export hits the featall% variable it gives an error for each feat,
        FEAT0 through FEAT99 ( I think) If I comment this section out, the
        error goes away, however, I have never gotten the characters to be
        viewable on my IPAQ anyways, so I was just hoping that this would
        fix my problem, don't know what commenting this section out in the
        output sheet will do for others.

        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, Kent Behrends <kent.maillist@b...>
        wrote:

        > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
        >
        > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
        5.4
        > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
        I'd be
        > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
        >
        > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
        all
        > it required last time :)
        >
        > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
        > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
        expected
        > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
        >
        > ---
        > Kent Behrends
      • Tom Simpson
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003

          wrote:

          > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
          >
          > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
          5.4
          > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
          I'd be
          > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
          >
          > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
          all
          > it required last time :)
          >
          > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
          > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
          expected
          > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
          >
          > ---
          > Kent Behrends
        • Mariano Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
            Hi Tom,
            The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt display the
            character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be that the style
            sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format of the
            PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet for PCGScry
            is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the tags with the
            new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time consuming.

            wrote:

            > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
            >
            > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
            5.4
            > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
            I'd be
            > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
            >
            > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
            all
            > it required last time :)
            >
            > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
            > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
            expected
            > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
            >
            > ---
            > Kent Behrends

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Tom Simpson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
              Well, I would agree that this would be the problem, BUT for the fact
              that I have been trying to use this app since the first template
              came out (version 3 I think). I have even downloaded the older
              versions of PCGen, to make sure that it was all compatible with the
              templates and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
              running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
              with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a cold
              start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a new
              unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me select
              the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
              information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix it
              along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
              problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that I
              could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate with
              it.

              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                Hey Tom,

                You aren't out to lunch on this one... Even after fixing the 5.00
                template for myself I've still been having problems.

                I've just recently grabbed the code and looked around at the app.
                I've added a bunch of debugging statements in it and ran it on my
                pocketpc (with the 2003 o/s), it also has the same problems.

                From what I can tell the problem is in the SelectChar() routine of
                the code. Once the cdlgMain.ShowOpen command gets fired off it
                doesn't return itself back to the SelectChar() so that it can parse
                the xml file. This is why the character sheet always looks blank.
                Due to this glitch in the way that the 2003 PocketPC O/S seems to
                work it doesn't look like you'll ever be able to open a character
                sheet (my opinion & experiences) until that glitch is bypassed/fixed.

                I'm not sure, if I'll be able to fix it though... or whether I have
                the sanctioning of Ross to do so. I've got a fair VB background, but
                I'm a little new to the Ipaq/PocketPC world.

                I'll keep you posted if I find out anything else.

                Take care Tom!

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                  Well,

                  IMHO he has put the code out for download in the group. And has told me in
                  an email that he doesn't support it any more for updates, etc. I wouldn’t
                  think it is an issue to fix something and rerelease it. I was going to play
                  with the source myself, but don't have time, due to work now (US military
                  contractor), and don't have the tools currently to do anything about it.

                  Let me know. I will be a willing ALPHA and/or BETA tester for any updates to
                  the software!

                  Thanks,
                  Tom Simpson
                  tsimpson@...

                  "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                  same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

> [...]
                  > it.
                  >

                  > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"
                  > <el_che_guevara@h...> wrote:
                  > > Hi Tom,
                  > > The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt
                  display
                  > the
                  > > character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be
                  that
                  > the style
                  > > sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format
                  > of the
                  > > PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet
                  > for PCGScry
                  > > is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the
                  tags
                  > with the
                  > > new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                  believed to be clean.

                  believed to be clean.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                    Hi Guys ... please feel free to consider the program open source. Go ahead
                    and make changes and distribute the results. Just make sure anyone that
                    wants to can check out your code changes. It would also be a good idea to
                    assign version numbers and document exactly what changes are made as you
                    go. That will make it much easier for others to do additional work based
                    on your work.

                    -Ross

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                      No problem Tom. I've just gotten the go ahead from Ross. I'll see
                      what I can do in the next couple of days and get back to you.

                      I'm in a couple of campaigns and I'm REALLY desperate to get it
                      working, since it'll save on my paper trail.

                      I'll keep you posted.

                      Murray Smith

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                        Thanks Ross for the go ahead. I'll see if I can take a crack at it.

                        The versioning is always a good idea and I'll put a suffix of a
                        letter on anything that I ship up to the yahoo group. I'll document
                        anything that I put into place, when and why in the forms when I make
                        changes to the program. They are all good suggestions, I just wasn't
                        expecting that I've have to go in and make changes.

                        So far, I've published the version 500a of the output sheet for
                        everyone in the group to grab. It won't fix all of the problems, but
                        it'll at least allow them to output their sheets for PCGEN 5 properly.

                        Thanks again Ross!

                        Murray H. Smith

                        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Carlson" <yahoogroups@m...>

                      • Tom Simpson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                          Murray,

                          I just downloaded the template, it seems to work with the new BETA 5.5.6
                          version, IF anyone is interested. I still get the same issues with my ppc,
                          so I am assuming that it works.

                          wrote:
> [...]
                          the
                          > >> templat
                          > > es and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
                          > >> running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
                          > >> with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a
                          cold
                          > >> start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a
                          new
                          > >> unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me
                          > > select
                          > >> the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
                          > >> information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix
                          > > it
                          > >> along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
                          > >> problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that
                          > >> could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cq2bd5i/M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupw
                          eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1074046762/A=1944183/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/j
                          ump/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;ord=1073960362324627?
                          http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;
                          ord=1073960362324627?
                          http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupmail
                          /S=:HM/A=1944183/rand=813647491

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                            Thanks for the update Tom! : )

                            I'm still investigating the problems in the load process using
                            PPC2003. There seems to be quite a bit more to this than meets the
                            eye. I've tried to hardcode as much as I can just for testing
                            purposes, I've even managed to get a please wait screen while the
                            information started to load my character sheet.

                            The unfortunate part is that when I put in display messages into the
                            code to show me the name and level of my character, these fields were
                            blank, so from what I can tell so far there will need to be an entire
                            overhaul of the loading routines... I'm not entirely sure if I will
                            be up to the task, but I'll give it a go this weekend and let you all
                            know...

                            'Til then.

                            Murray Smith

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 20, 2004
                              The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                              is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                              tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.

                              Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.

                              Murray H. Smith.

                              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "bounty_hunter_42101" <briancoy@a...>
                              wrote:
                              > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN 5.4
                              > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one. I'd
                              be
                              > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
                            • bounty_hunter_42101
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 21, 2004
                                Thnaks , I'll try it out and see how it goes.

                                Brian

                                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...> wrote:
                                > The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                                > is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                                > tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.
                                >
                                > Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.
                                >
                                > Murray H. Smith.

                              • Tom Simpson