PCGEN Output sheets

  • bounty_hunter_42101
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 19, 2003
      Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN 5.4
      yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one. I'd be
      willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
    • Kent Behrends
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 21, 2003
        On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:

        > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN 5.4
        > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one. I'd be
        > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...

        Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was all
        it required last time :)

        Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
        using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you expected
        text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.

        ---
        Kent Behrends
      • Tom Simpson
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
          I was looking at this same error with 5.5.5. It seems that when the
          export hits the featall% variable it gives an error for each feat,
          FEAT0 through FEAT99 ( I think) If I comment this section out, the
          error goes away, however, I have never gotten the characters to be
          viewable on my IPAQ anyways, so I was just hoping that this would
          fix my problem, don't know what commenting this section out in the
          output sheet will do for others.

          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, Kent Behrends <kent.maillist@b...>
          wrote:

          > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
          >
          > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
          5.4
          > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
          I'd be
          > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
          >
          > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
          all
          > it required last time :)
          >
          > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
          > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
          expected
          > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
          >
          > ---
          > Kent Behrends
        • Tom Simpson
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003

            wrote:

            > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
            >
            > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
            5.4
            > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
            I'd be
            > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
            >
            > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
            all
            > it required last time :)
            >
            > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
            > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
            expected
            > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
            >
            > ---
            > Kent Behrends
          • Mariano Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
              Hi Tom,
              The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt display the
              character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be that the style
              sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format of the
              PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet for PCGScry
              is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the tags with the
              new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time consuming.

              wrote:

              > On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:10 AM, bounty_hunter_42101 wrote:
              >
              > > Has anyone created a new output sheet that will work with PCGEN
              5.4
              > > yet, if not does anyone know what is necessary to create one.
              I'd be
              > > willing to give it a try if it is feasible...
              >
              > Finding and replacing the text variable names in the xml sheet was
              all
              > it required last time :)
              >
              > Check the errors you get from PCGen, they will tell you if you are
              > using an invalid variable. Also, if you get blanks where you
              expected
              > text. Look at a working sheet, you'll see the new variable names.
              >
              > ---
              > Kent Behrends

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Tom Simpson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                Well, I would agree that this would be the problem, BUT for the fact
                that I have been trying to use this app since the first template
                came out (version 3 I think). I have even downloaded the older
                versions of PCGen, to make sure that it was all compatible with the
                templates and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
                running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
                with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a cold
                start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a new
                unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me select
                the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
                information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix it
                along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
                problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that I
                could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate with
                it.

                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                  Hey Tom,

                  You aren't out to lunch on this one... Even after fixing the 5.00
                  template for myself I've still been having problems.

                  I've just recently grabbed the code and looked around at the app.
                  I've added a bunch of debugging statements in it and ran it on my
                  pocketpc (with the 2003 o/s), it also has the same problems.

                  From what I can tell the problem is in the SelectChar() routine of
                  the code. Once the cdlgMain.ShowOpen command gets fired off it
                  doesn't return itself back to the SelectChar() so that it can parse
                  the xml file. This is why the character sheet always looks blank.
                  Due to this glitch in the way that the 2003 PocketPC O/S seems to
                  work it doesn't look like you'll ever be able to open a character
                  sheet (my opinion & experiences) until that glitch is bypassed/fixed.

                  I'm not sure, if I'll be able to fix it though... or whether I have
                  the sanctioning of Ross to do so. I've got a fair VB background, but
                  I'm a little new to the Ipaq/PocketPC world.

                  I'll keep you posted if I find out anything else.

                  Take care Tom!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                    Well,

                    IMHO he has put the code out for download in the group. And has told me in
                    an email that he doesn't support it any more for updates, etc. I wouldn’t
                    think it is an issue to fix something and rerelease it. I was going to play
                    with the source myself, but don't have time, due to work now (US military
                    contractor), and don't have the tools currently to do anything about it.

                    Let me know. I will be a willing ALPHA and/or BETA tester for any updates to
                    the software!

                    Thanks,
                    Tom Simpson
                    tsimpson@...

                    "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
                    same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

> [...]
                    > it.
                    >

                    > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Mariano Rodriguez"
                    > <el_che_guevara@h...> wrote:
                    > > Hi Tom,
                    > > The program runs right? The problem is that it just doesnt
                    display
                    > the
                    > > character sheet is it? If this is the problem then it must be
                    that
                    > the style
                    > > sheet for PCGScry is out of date. The problem is that the format
                    > of the
                    > > PCGen sheets are changing constantly, currently the style sheet
                    > for PCGScry
                    > > is ouf of that, what would have to be done is just update the
                    tags
                    > with the
                    > > new ones. This is not a difficult job but it's a little time

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                    believed to be clean.

                    believed to be clean.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                      Hi Guys ... please feel free to consider the program open source. Go ahead
                      and make changes and distribute the results. Just make sure anyone that
                      wants to can check out your code changes. It would also be a good idea to
                      assign version numbers and document exactly what changes are made as you
                      go. That will make it much easier for others to do additional work based
                      on your work.

                      -Ross

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                        No problem Tom. I've just gotten the go ahead from Ross. I'll see
                        what I can do in the next couple of days and get back to you.

                        I'm in a couple of campaigns and I'm REALLY desperate to get it
                        working, since it'll save on my paper trail.

                        I'll keep you posted.

                        Murray Smith

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                          Thanks Ross for the go ahead. I'll see if I can take a crack at it.

                          The versioning is always a good idea and I'll put a suffix of a
                          letter on anything that I ship up to the yahoo group. I'll document
                          anything that I put into place, when and why in the forms when I make
                          changes to the program. They are all good suggestions, I just wasn't
                          expecting that I've have to go in and make changes.

                          So far, I've published the version 500a of the output sheet for
                          everyone in the group to grab. It won't fix all of the problems, but
                          it'll at least allow them to output their sheets for PCGEN 5 properly.

                          Thanks again Ross!

                          Murray H. Smith

                          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Carlson" <yahoogroups@m...>

                        • Tom Simpson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 12, 2004
                            Murray,

                            I just downloaded the template, it seems to work with the new BETA 5.5.6
                            version, IF anyone is interested. I still get the same issues with my ppc,
                            so I am assuming that it works.

                            wrote:
> [...]
                            the
                            > >> templat
                            > > es and such. I had this same problem with the same IPAQ
                            > >> running PPC 2002. A friend of mine gets it to run on his Jornada
                            > >> with WinCE 3.0 without ANY problems. I have even tried doing a
                            cold
                            > >> start of the handheld and wiping everything from memory like a
                            new
                            > >> unit, it still does the same thing, the app runs, and lets me
                            > > select
                            > >> the file I export from PCGen, it just doesn't display the
                            > >> information at all. I was hoping that going to PPC 2003 would fix
                            > > it
                            > >> along with some other (not related to pcgscry)issues. The other
                            > >> problems are gone, so I plan to stay with 2003. I just wish that
                            > >> could figure out why Pcgscry doesn't seem to want to cooperate

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cq2bd5i/M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupw
                            eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1074046762/A=1944183/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/j
                            ump/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;ord=1073960362324627?
                            http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1266404.22;sz=300x250;code=18495;
                            ord=1073960362324627?
                            http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.4419649.5606571.1261774/D=egroupmail
                            /S=:HM/A=1944183/rand=813647491

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                              Thanks for the update Tom! : )

                              I'm still investigating the problems in the load process using
                              PPC2003. There seems to be quite a bit more to this than meets the
                              eye. I've tried to hardcode as much as I can just for testing
                              purposes, I've even managed to get a please wait screen while the
                              information started to load my character sheet.

                              The unfortunate part is that when I put in display messages into the
                              code to show me the name and level of my character, these fields were
                              blank, so from what I can tell so far there will need to be an entire
                              overhaul of the loading routines... I'm not entirely sure if I will
                              be up to the task, but I'll give it a go this weekend and let you all
                              know...

                              'Til then.

                              Murray Smith

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 20, 2004
                                The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                                is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                                tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.

                                Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.

                                Murray H. Smith.

                                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "bounty_hunter_42101" <briancoy@a...>
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 21, 2004
                                  Thnaks , I'll try it out and see how it goes.

                                  Brian

                                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...> wrote:
                                  > The output sheet on this message board PCGEN500B.xml should work it
                                  > is located under the files section of this board for download. I
                                  > tested it under PCGEN 5.5.4.
                                  >
                                  > Hope that this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.
                                  >
                                  > Murray H. Smith.

                                • Tom Simpson