Re: [PCGScry] Questions.

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      > Is PCGScry still being actively worked on? I noticed that the last
      > release on the Metacraft site was well over a year ago. Is there a
      > newer release available elsewhere?

      I haven't worked on the program for quite a while. I wrote the program when
      I started playing AD&D with a Sorcerer character, and that's what drove my
      choices for features, etc. That's why some stuff isn't there, like
      memorized spell tracking, and other non-sorcerer stuff.

      Recently, that campaign ended, and now I'm playing Shadowrun. So, the
      likelyhood of any further development in the near future is pretty slim.
      However, I will still try to fix any bugs that crop up. The code seems
      pretty stable though.

      > Will there be an update to the program to fix anything that changes
      > when the revised Core books are released? Maybe this won't be
      > necessary, but I'm really hoping that the answer is yes. Also,
      > please don't forget about us MIPS users if an update happens! :)

      Hopefully it won't be necessary, but if it is, it depends on how much work
      is involved. Since I'm not actively using the program right now, I have
      little incentive to work on it. I don't want to completely abandon it, or
      it's users though, so I would be willing to send the source code to anyone
      that would like to work with it.

      And it's also entirely possible that I will get back into active
      development if I start playing AD&D again.

      > Does anyone know what program was used to convert the SRD .rtf files
      > into the XML files used with PCGScry? Many of the spells will change
      > (any many of them have already changed via errata) when the revised
      > Core books are released and I'd like to incorporate those fixes
      > directly from the SRD .rtf files if possible.

      I actually didn't do any conversion of anything ... the xml files came from
      the d20-xml project, which also has a group on Yahoo.

      > I just finished updating the XML template to work 100% with the
      > latest release of PCGen (4.3.10) and will upload it when I get home
      > from work tonight. I plan to continue updating the file as changes
      > are made to PCGen. I will use a naming convention that incorporates
      > the PCGen version to keep this from getting too confusing.
      >
      > For example, the version that I will upload tonight will be called ...
      >
      > csheet_pcgscry4310.xml

      Thanks!

      > This is an extremely valuable tool and I'd hate to lose it when we
      > start using the revised books! Thanks for the excellent game tool!

      You're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoy it.

    • Mariano Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        I would really like to work on the Project. I think I msg this before
        but now that you mention it I would really like to. Ill wait for your
        answer. Take care.
        Mariano

        >Hopefully it won't be necessary, but if it is, it depends on how much
        work
        >is involved. Since I'm not actively using the program right now, I have
        >little incentive to work on it. I don't want to completely abandon it,
        or
        >it's users though, so I would be willing to send the source code to
        anyone
        >that would like to work with it.
      • taxburdett
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2003
          It is good to hear that you haven't completely abandoned the
          project. I should be able to handle most of the changes made by the
          revision in the xml template, but it's not a sure thing. With that
          in mind, I would be very interested in obtaining the source code
          when you decide to make it available. Thanks for the reply!