Questions.

  • taxburdett
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2003
      Hi,

      I just started using this program a few weeks ago and it is working
      great on both my Casio EM 500 and a players Dell Axim Pocket PC's.

      Is PCGScry still being actively worked on? I noticed that the last
      release on the Metacraft site was well over a year ago. Is there a
      newer release available elsewhere?

      Will there be an update to the program to fix anything that changes
      when the revised Core books are released? Maybe this won't be
      necessary, but I'm really hoping that the answer is yes. Also,
      please don't forget about us MIPS users if an update happens! :)

      Does anyone know what program was used to convert the SRD .rtf files
      into the XML files used with PCGScry? Many of the spells will change
      (any many of them have already changed via errata) when the revised
      Core books are released and I'd like to incorporate those fixes
      directly from the SRD .rtf files if possible.

      I just finished updating the XML template to work 100% with the
      latest release of PCGen (4.3.10) and will upload it when I get home
      from work tonight. I plan to continue updating the file as changes
      are made to PCGen. I will use a naming convention that incorporates
      the PCGen version to keep this from getting too confusing.

      For example, the version that I will upload tonight will be called ...

      csheet_pcgscry4310.xml

      This is an extremely valuable tool and I'd hate to lose it when we
      start using the revised books! Thanks for the excellent game tool!
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        > Is PCGScry still being actively worked on? I noticed that the last
        > release on the Metacraft site was well over a year ago. Is there a
        > newer release available elsewhere?

        I haven't worked on the program for quite a while. I wrote the program when
        I started playing AD&D with a Sorcerer character, and that's what drove my
        choices for features, etc. That's why some stuff isn't there, like
        memorized spell tracking, and other non-sorcerer stuff.

        Recently, that campaign ended, and now I'm playing Shadowrun. So, the
        likelyhood of any further development in the near future is pretty slim.
        However, I will still try to fix any bugs that crop up. The code seems
        pretty stable though.

        > Will there be an update to the program to fix anything that changes
        > when the revised Core books are released? Maybe this won't be
        > necessary, but I'm really hoping that the answer is yes. Also,
        > please don't forget about us MIPS users if an update happens! :)

        Hopefully it won't be necessary, but if it is, it depends on how much work
        is involved. Since I'm not actively using the program right now, I have
        little incentive to work on it. I don't want to completely abandon it, or
        it's users though, so I would be willing to send the source code to anyone
        that would like to work with it.

        And it's also entirely possible that I will get back into active
        development if I start playing AD&D again.

        > Does anyone know what program was used to convert the SRD .rtf files
        > into the XML files used with PCGScry? Many of the spells will change
        > (any many of them have already changed via errata) when the revised
        > Core books are released and I'd like to incorporate those fixes
        > directly from the SRD .rtf files if possible.

        I actually didn't do any conversion of anything ... the xml files came from
        the d20-xml project, which also has a group on Yahoo.

        > I just finished updating the XML template to work 100% with the
        > latest release of PCGen (4.3.10) and will upload it when I get home
        > from work tonight. I plan to continue updating the file as changes
        > are made to PCGen. I will use a naming convention that incorporates
        > the PCGen version to keep this from getting too confusing.
        >
        > For example, the version that I will upload tonight will be called ...
        >
        > csheet_pcgscry4310.xml

        Thanks!

        > This is an extremely valuable tool and I'd hate to lose it when we
        > start using the revised books! Thanks for the excellent game tool!

        You're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoy it.

      • Mariano Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2003
          I would really like to work on the Project. I think I msg this before
          but now that you mention it I would really like to. Ill wait for your
          answer. Take care.
          Mariano

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2003
            It is good to hear that you haven't completely abandoned the
            project. I should be able to handle most of the changes made by the
            revision in the xml template, but it's not a sure thing. With that
            in mind, I would be very interested in obtaining the source code
            when you decide to make it available. Thanks for the reply!