405Re: PCGen and PCScry

  • nokao83
    Apr 19, 2007
      Yes, it would. He's a lot occupied lately, we will speak toghether in
      the weekend about my last features request and about the translation
      stuff.

      However, as you should know, PcGen Internationalization stuff have not
      answered to my proposals of doing a very simple database where to put
      all the string to translate, and generate with it (with php or some
      other very-easy web software) the datasets dinamically, with the
      already-translated words inside them.

      I got some compliments by some of the mailing list reader but nothing
      else, and nothing is moving. My intention wasn't to do any revolution
      in the staff but only to find a better way of translating stuff, cause
      the actual way don't worth it...

      If you translate once, you'll have to translate again for every
      dataset change or for every tag added/changed.

      About the java thing, we will speak about that too. Martin itself
      speaked to me about the intention to use java, but as I known Pocket
      PC are NOT yet java mobile compatible...

      Palms really belongs to a Chaotic Plane...

      iPhones will be java compatible and will use MacOsx as OS...
      Pocket Pcs are Windows CE compatible but java is still not working in
      them ...
      There are Smartphones that use Symbian too, in that case java works...

      I don't know what to do: however, using .net (that I really hate...)
      it's possible to translate Vb .net software into java and viceversa,
      so, maybe, it will possible to mantain the code in a language and
      produce different installers for every device...

      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello back :)
      >
      > It would be fantastic if you could assist Martin with PCGScry, you'll
      > probably be able to assist a good deal with your knowledge of the
      > current version of PCGen :).
      >
      > As for porting to Java, it would certainly fit in with the PCGen main
      > project very very well. In fact you'd be able to extend on the
      > plugins that pcgen provides! Not to mention having lots more Java
      > developers that could help out.
      >
      > We're still wrapping up our publisher liaison work, but once that's
      > sotred we'll be focussing on publicsiing PCGScry and pcgenview.

      > > Hi Karianna ;)
      > >
      > > Maybe you remember me from the PcGen mailing list...
      > >
      > > Actually, I'm waiting for the "Internationalization of PcGen"
      > > mantainer to come back cause I'm interested in translating all the
      > > stuff in Italian.
      > >
      > > In the meantime, I contacted Martin here and maybe we will do
      > > something toghether in the weekend.
      > >
      > > Infact I'm interested in both having a master tool that loads
      > > characters and helps me to administrate a D&D session, and having
      > all
      > > the stuff translated in Italian. That of course links every of you
      > two.
      > >
      > > A java translation of PcGScry would be another step ahead into that
      > > project, but by now I just want the things "working" so I will try
      > > help Martin (as I can) in the "adding master tools" part of the
      > work.
      > >
      > > I was talking with him about java translation in another topic,
      > cause
      > > the future of Pocket Pcs is actually obscure, and Visual Basic .net
      > > isn't really an example of "portability", it surely wont work on
      > > iPhone that will be only java or macosx compatible... and iPhone
      > will
      > > rule the Palm world in less than 2-3 years...

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic