Communities.com, Turner Broadcasting Collaborate for Cartoon Orbit Development

  • Bill Frantz
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
      FYI - Pardon the marketingeese, but this is the kind of thing the company
      is doing these days. :-)

      Contact:
      Kellie Krug
      Communities.com
      408-342-9540
      kellie@...

      Jim Babcock
      CartoonNetwork
      404-885-0609
      jim.babcock@...

      COMMUNITIES.COM, TURNER BROADCASTING COLLABORATE
      FOR CARTOON ORBIT DEVELOPMENT

      Next Generation Attributes Enhance Cartoon Network Online Experience

      CUPERTINO, CA (December 11, 2000)...Communities.com, the pioneer in online
      community tools, products and services, announced its collaboration with
      Turner Broadcasting in the design, architecture and licensing for Cartoon
      Orbit, the new online arm of CartoonNetwork.com.

      Communities.com licensed key technologies and provided extensive design and
      architecture expertise to Turner's site, most specifically in the area of
      online trading, user-personalized cartoon worlds and real time community
      tools. Cartoon Orbit allows fans to build their own personalized cartoon
      worlds, collect, play with and trade their favorite characters, chat and
      play games.

      "Turner has been an ideal partner," said Bobby Napiltonia, CEO of
      Communities.com. "They provided a clear vision of what they wanted to
      achieve with Cartoon Orbit. The power of their brands and the attentiveness
      to their customer experience made the collaboration work wonderfully. It
      has afforded us the opportunity to provide a real-time online interactive
      experience via a skill set and tool set available only through our years of
      community-building expertise and our unique suite of technologies."

      "Turner Broadcasting has focused on creating entertaining and compelling
      web presences, said Scott Teissler, CTO at Turner. Communities.com, with
      interactive community based expertise in site building dating to the '80's,
      met our criteria for co-developing such an environment. Communities.com's
      base of code and online community building experience allowed us to
      construct a site with a more comprehensive and vital set of trading
      capabilities built in with lessened developmental and implementation risk
      than we otherwise would have been able to do. Their ability to focus on
      next generation functional attributes has allowed us to create an unmatched
      experience for our users."

      Cartoon Orbit was launched with five worlds from which users can create
      personal online environments and play with characters in ways never before
      possible on the Internet. In addition, the members can buy, and trade
      collectible cartoon icons called "cToons", amassing points for future
      purchases as they interact on each other's "cZones." The cToons are
      available in limited quantities, and many are Flash-enabled, allowing for
      movement and sound cues, that make some more valuable than others. Cartoon
      Orbit is a completely COPPA, kid-safe community across all components from
      canned chat to parental approvals.

      "This significant partnership enables Communities.com to extend our
      renowned expertise in interactive technology and community building to a
      large mainstream audience interested in a broad array of content,"
      Napiltonia added. "Further, this alliance is a model for how
      Communities.com is creating unique, immersive destinations that leverage
      the appeal of marquee media brands and the power of our tools to deliver
      the most complete communications experience to millions of consumers," he
      concluded.

      ABOUT COMMUNITIES.COM
      Communities.com provides a unified platform of communication and
      collaboration technology and infrastructure that enables users to interact
      online. Our interactivity communication platform, Passport® enables the
      websites of our clients and their users to communicate in custom
      environments with integrated text, BBS, graphic, voice, rich-media and
      peer-to-peer capabilities. The Passport server infrastructure is designed
      to utilize a distributed network and scalable delivery platform, ensuring
      stability and reliability. Located in Cupertino, California, Communities is
      privately held with investments from individuals and companies including
      Michael Crichton, Helix Investments, Creative Labs, Open Text, Softbank
      Investment Partners and agincourt partners LLC.

      ABOUT CARTOON NETWORK
      CartoonNetwork.com, Cartoon Network Online's flagship site on the World
      Wide Web, is consistently among the most popular entertainment sites on the
      Web. Cartoon Network, currently seen in 68.3 million U.S. homes and 145
      countries worldwide, is Turner Broadcasting System Inc.'s 24-hour,
      ad-supported cable service offering the best in animated entertainment.
      Since its launch in 1992, Cartoon Network has remained one of ad-supported
      cable's highest-rated networks. Cartoon Network's Web site is located at
      http://CartoonNetwork.com Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a subsidiary
      of Time Warner Inc., is a major producer of news and entertainment products
      around the world and the leading provider of programming for the basic
      cable industry.

      ###
    • iDoug
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
        Ummm...the phrase "crock of shit" comes to mind. LoL :-)

        Regards,

        -iDoug

        ----------------------------------
        Doug Mehus "iDoug"
        i-Doug.Com Visual Communications
        E-Mail: idoug@...
        E-Mail 2: doug.mehus@...
        AIM: idougo
        ICQ: 1841240
        MSNIM: e_doug
        Website: http://www.i-doug.com
        ----------------------------------
[...]

        PCG web page: http://www.electroservice.com/PalCommGp/
        Class & Chat logs:http://members.xoom.com/Maryellen/pcginfo.html
        How friends can subscribe: PCGF-subscribe@egroups.com

        Palace Community Group Palace
        PCG.KSV.com Port 9998
      • Maryellen© Chadwick
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
          --- In PCGF@egroups.com, Bill Frantz <frantz@c...> wrote:
          > FYI - Pardon the marketingeese, but this is the kind of thing the
          company
          > is doing these days. :-)

          Hmmmm very interesting Bill- seems they havent given up yet.

          Interesting to know.. thanks for keeping us informed :-)

          ME
        • pterry@columbus.rr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
            FYI - Pardon the candor, but ... why should I really give a
            hairy rats-behind? CC runs out on it's user base then trys telling
            us "what's up" with the company?

            Why don't they simply file their Chapter 11 case and flush the
            damned company? (thereby LEAVE US ALONE)

            *NOTE: I realize that this won't message won't set well with
            a few on this list, but that's too bad .. they can kick me off
            if they want .. it's the way _I_ feel.

            -----