Christy got a job!

  • Jared and Christy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2005
      Hi everyone!  We've been in Maryland now for just over two months. Things are going fine. Jared continues to love his job. For those that don't know he works for an environment non-profit agency called Canaan (pronounced ka-NAYN) Valley Institute. Basically he helps little community groups who are trying to clean up a stream or particular watershed. CVI provides training, small grants and general help to these groups and he basically goes to a lot of these group meetings helping each individual one in a different way.

      The big news here is that after two desperate months sitting around I finally got a job!!!  It's assistant to the program manager at an organization called World Child that facilitates international adoptions. The Hagerstown office works only with adoptions from Guatemala. I'll be helping with a lot of the paperwork and basically being a liaison between lawyers in Guatemala City and adoptive parents here in Maryland. It's only part-time for now, but I'll work up to full time soon. I'm really excited because I'll get to use my Spanish and maybe even go travel down to Guatemala a few times a year. The best part is that it's a job I think I'll really like and I don't have to drive the 1-2 hours to DC or Baltimore everyday!!!! This place is only 10 minutes from our house and even right on the bus line.

      We've been able to get out and see all of our friends in the area and even make it back to Ohio about once a month to see family.  We had our first camping trip two weekends ago and look forward to exploring more of the State Parks and Appalachian Trail camping sites around here.

      So thanks so much to everyone who has been praying for and thinking of us as we get used to our new life. We really appreciate it!!!  Looks like we're in the final stages of settling in here, this job being the last big piece.

      Take care everyone!

      Love,
      Christy and Jared

      Jared and Christy Bartley
      300 Northern Ave. Apt. 5F
      Hagerstown, MD 21742

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Alan Alexander
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 2005
        Howdy yall!

        Congrats to Jared and Christy! I�m glad to hear that everything is going
        well for you, plus for everyone else who seems to be moving on with life,
        taking steps to make further yourselves, get along and take more amazing
        steps. Kudos to all!

        All I really want to say about the past 4 months of my life is that they
        have been quite a deal more trying than I had originally thought. I guess
        that is "readjustment". Although I don�t think I ever completely
        "readjusted" to the "God Bless George W." billboard (yes billboard) that I
        had to pass everyday on my way out of Caldwell to College Station. I
        thought about taking a picture of it to share with you guys, but decided
        against ruining everyone�s day.

        I�m ready for Monterrey, which starts in July, but for the time being I have
        something else upon which I can focus. Today I am leaving for London and
        will be in the UK for about three weeks before I head to Spain & Portugal
        for a month. I�ve been looking forward to this trip for quite a long time
        and for a while was worried that it would not be feasible, but Gracias a
        Dios that everything worked out.

        You guys take care and stay in touch.

        Best,

        Alan J. Alexander

        >From: Jared and Christy <jandcbartley@...>
        >To: jandcbartley@...
        >Subject: [PCElSalAg42002] Christy got a job!
        >Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >Hi everyone! We've been in Maryland now for just over two months. Things
        >are going fine. Jared continues to love his job. For those that don't know
        >he works for an environment non-profit agency called Canaan (pronounced
        >ka-NAYN) Valley Institute. Basically he helps little community groups who
        >are trying to clean up a stream or particular watershed. CVI provides
        >training, small grants and general help to these groups and he basically
        >goes to a lot of these group meetings helping each individual one in a
        >different way.
        >
        >The big news here is that after two desperate months sitting around I
        >finally got a job!!! It's assistant to the program manager at an
        >organization called World Child that facilitates international adoptions.
        >The Hagerstown office works only with adoptions from Guatemala. I'll be
        >helping with a lot of the paperwork and basically being a liaison between
        >lawyers in Guatemala City and adoptive parents here in Maryland. It's only
        >part-time for now, but I'll work up to full time soon. I'm really excited
        >because I'll get to use my Spanish and maybe even go travel down to
        >Guatemala a few times a year. The best part is that it's a job I think I'll
        >really like and I don't have to drive the 1-2 hours to DC or Baltimore
        >everyday!!!! This place is only 10 minutes from our house and even right on
        >the bus line.
        >
        >We've been able to get out and see all of our friends in the area and even
        >make it back to Ohio about once a month to see family. We had our first
        >camping trip two weekends ago and look forward to exploring more of the
        >State Parks and Appalachian Trail camping sites around here.
        >
        >So thanks so much to everyone who has been praying for and thinking of us
        >as we get used to our new life. We really appreciate it!!! Looks like
        >we're in the final stages of settling in here, this job being the last big
        >piece.
        >
        >Take care everyone!
        >
        >Love,
        >Christy and Jared
        >

        >Jared and Christy Bartley
        >jandcbartley@...
        >300 Northern Ave. Apt. 5F
        >Hagerstown, MD 21742

        >http://mail.yahoo.com
      • mary sacra
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2005

          fyi - i had a dream last night. we were all reuniting in el salvador. but it was pretty. it was like a small mexican pueblo that was cute and had culture. so im waiting for y'all and i hear y'all coming up to where i am and i see alan walking around trying to find the place and then nathan comes up with a hat on missing one of his front teeth. then sabra comes up giggling and missing one of her front teeth. then the bartleys come up without their front teeth. isaac is there too, but for some reason he has all of his teeth. that was pretty much it. i think we drank some and hung out at this mexican bar (in el salvador) but it was all dark the whole time. weird. as i was writing this, i was sitting here wondering why the hell i had that dream, then i realized that one of the last things i saw before i left el salv was christa without one of her front teeth.

          crazy dream, but it made me feel like i had just been with all of yall and then i woke up and now i miss everyone.

          jill

          p.s. glad you bartleys are doing well. work is okay for me. not so stimulating, but stress free for the most part. got to use mi espanol on the tele today because some cuban called in and could only speak spanish so they transferred it to me and then i had to translate and write an email for one of my co-workers in espanol.

          - have been denied from ut law, but am still waiting to hear for univ. of houston and one other ghetto school in houston. we'll see...

          >From: Jared and Christy <jandcbartley@...>
          >To: jandcbartley@...
          >Subject: [PCElSalAg42002] Christy got a job!
          >Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Hi everyone!  We've been in Maryland now for just over two months. Things are going fine. Jared continues to love his job. For those that don't know he works for an environment non-profit agency called Canaan (pronounced ka-NAYN) Valley Institute. Basically he helps little community groups who are trying to clean up a stream or particular watershed. CVI provides training, small grants and general help to these groups and he basically goes to a lot of these group meetings helping each individual one in a different way.
          >
          >The big news here is that after two desperate months sitting around I finally got a job!!!  It's assistant to the program manager at an organization called World Child that facilitates international adoptions. The Hagerstown office works only with adoptions from Guatemala. I'll be helping with a lot of the paperwork and basically being a liaison between lawyers in Guatemala City and adoptive parents here in Maryland. It's only part-time for now, but I'll work up to full time soon. I'm really excited because I'll get to use my Spanish and maybe even go travel down to Guatemala a few times a year. The best part is that it's a job I think I'll really like and I don't have to drive the 1-2 hours to DC or Baltimore everyday!!!! This place is only 10 minutes from our house and even right on the bus line.
          >
          >We've been able to get out and see all of our friends in the area and even make it back to Ohio about once a month to see family.  We had our first camping trip two weekends ago and look forward to exploring more of the State Parks and Appalachian Trail camping sites around here.
          >
          >So thanks so much to everyone who has been praying for and thinking of us as we get used to our new life. We really appreciate it!!!  Looks like we're in the final stages of settling in here, this job being the last big piece.
          >
          >Take care everyone!
          >
          >Love,
          >Christy and Jared
          >

          >Jared and Christy Bartley
          >jandcbartley@...
          >300 Northern Ave. Apt. 5F
          >Hagerstown, MD 21742

          >Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          >http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Christa Bruce
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2005
            Hey All,

            SO, to continue with the new job news, I got that Cali job with the LA Conservation Corps!  It's only for 6 months...that's where the sorta comes into play.  For me, PERFECT, since I'm going to India in December with Ramya and Karen.

            I'll be working in the San Bernardino Forest outside of LA in California.  And, don't be jealous, but I'll be getting a chainsaw rating.  Yeah, that's right.  Two weeks of training and I'll be set loose on underbrush and such.  Not logging, just a pruning.  I'll be working on trail maintainence, habitat conservation, fire prevention and community outreach.  Room and board is included and there is a van to take us out of the forest on Fridays and bring us back Sundays if we want.  No worries that I'll go nuts in the forest with a chainsaw.  A friend of mine is coming out so we can catch a DMB show, west coast style.  You're all invited.

            And, to update you all on the lesbian 'do, things have gotten a bit better.  The hair is still an absolute mess and very very unbecoming.  However, it's slowly growing and I feel like a girl more every week.

            C. BARTLEY - CONGRATULATIONS on your new job.  It sounds very cool!  Things have been busy here, I promise to call next week.  Glad to hear that all well in Hagerstown.

            SACRA - I'm glad your last visions of El Sal involved my toothless trap!

            Miss you all and hope all is well.
            Chau,
            Christa

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Christa Bruce
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21, 2005
              Hey Alan!

              Your trip sounds like it will be awesome!!!!  Are you traveling alone?  I'm glad it all worked out and you get to kick it in Europe before heading to Mexico.  Hmmm...I think we are all readjusting well!

              Karen, Sabra and I to Peru.  Then, Karen to Mexico, me to the forest and Sabs to Chi-town.
              Alan to Europe and then to Mexico.
              Isaac, Fox, and Zach still in El Sal.

              We could write a book on readjustment!

              Give the gift of life to a sick child.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/o20olB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Do you Yahoo!?
              Make Yahoo! your home page

            • mary sacra
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 21, 2005

                sabes??? whats your story?? will you either write all of us or at least tell me about your latest plans??

                jill