Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [PCElSalAg42002] OOOOPS

Expand Messages
  • Christa Bruce
    Hi Traci, It s great to hear from you! Could you give us a few more details about the cremation thesis? Christa
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 15, 2006
      Hi Traci,
       
      It's great to hear from you!  Could you give us a few more details about the cremation thesis?
       
      Christa

       
      On 8/31/06, Traci Van Deest <tlvandeest@...> wrote:

      Hello All-

      I know that it has been a while since I have talked to any of you but that doesn't mean that I have forgatten about you. It is great to get emails once in a blue moon to see how you all are doing and where you are (even if they are slightly embarrassing). Looks like a lot of people are back in school and moving through. That is where I still am and will be for a long time. I have been in northern California at Cal State University, Chico working on my Master's in Anthropology. Hopefully, I can pass my exams and get my thesis done to get out of here in May. (My thesis is on cremation if any one wanted to know) Looking forward to moving on to somewhere else to get my PhD. It has been a good year. Although I was rather surprised at the amount of readjusting I had to do to get back into the groove of school. I don't know how many of you had to go through that but it was not fun. I guess that readjusting doesn't just happen coming back from El Sal.    

      The only good story I have from this summer is from my job at lumberyard. I was driving a forklift and loading a bunch of lumber onto a man's truck. The load started to shift and the customer was standing where I thought it was going to fall. So I start SCREAMING at him to move, without success. He saw what I didn't, a support on his truck that would stop the lumber and place it exactly where he wanted it on his truck. So here I am, first off a girl in a lumberyard,  screaming at the top of my lungs in the middle of the parking lot with several construction workers laughing their asses off, while I think that I am about to kill a man. Needless to say he didn't die, although I thought that I was going to. (I spent my summer working and doing research so my stories aren't very exciting.)

      Well I would love to hear how some of the rest of you are doing.

      Cuidense,

      Traci


      Subject: Re: [PCElSalAg42002] OOOOPS
      Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:47:35 -0400


      I'm living with four undergrad boys.  Alllright.

      On 8/29/06, mary sacra <jillsacra@... > wrote:

      alrighty gang -

      im really embarrassed here. i did not mean for everyone to get that last
      email. i meant to send it to just christa, but i do believe i sent it to
      everyone. great chisme. i just freaked out and called nathan and he gave me
      some good counseling and after the convo - our conclusion is that if there
      was any group of people to not be ashamed in front of, its you all. still
      pretty embarrassed though. damn list serves.

      and in case you are all wondering, mike and i are working through things and
      should be okay.

      so now that you all know what i have been up to this summer....what has
      everyone else been doing??

      >From: "Christa Bruce" < chbru19@...>
      >Reply-To: PCElSalAg42002@yahoogroups.com
      >To: PCElSalAg42002@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [PCElSalAg42002] New info
      >Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:57:54 -0400
      >
      >Sacra,
      >
      >Where the hell have you been? I guess in law school, seeings how your
      >leapfrog em no sirve. How are your living arrangements? Are you living in
      >a house with 4 undergrad boys? No? Well, I am! What the hell?
      >
      >I have class tonight from 7-10. Then would love to talk (I have a loaner
      >cell phone for the week...although, I'm really thinking I'll need one of my
      >own since I'm up here with no friends and only funky non-social children
      >(might as well be) living nearby.
      >
      >I'm pretty sure I have your number. I'll try to call you later tonight.
      >
      >Lonely and v lost in East Stroudsburg.
      >Bruce
      >
      >
      >On 8/28/06, mary sacra < jillsacra@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> what is going on labor day weekend? i feel so left out. not that have
      >>any
      >>money to travel anywhere, but i still want to know whats going on.
      >>
      >>signed,
      >>insecure and lonely in houston
      >>
      >>p.s. nathan - i talked to alexis last night. he is safe and sound in
      >>austin.
      >>hopefully mike and/or i will see him soon. and hopefully you wont be so
      >>scared to visit texas now that he and alex are here.
      >>
      >> >From: Adam Aroian < aaroian@... <aaroian%40alumni.nd.edu>>
      >> >Reply-To:
      >> PCElSalAg42002@yahoogroups.com<PCElSalAg42002%40yahoogroups.com>
      >> >To: PCElSalAg42002@yahoogroups.com <PCElSalAg42002%40yahoogroups.com>
      >> >Subject: [PCElSalAg42002] New info
      >> >Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:38:40 -0700 (PDT)
      >>
      >> >
      >> >Hey folks--
      >> >
      >> >I finally made it to New York. Here's the new contact
      >> >info:
      >> >
      >> >610 E 20th St. Apt. MG
      >> >New York, NY 10009
      >> >
      >> >Cell: (978) 257-6730
      >> >
      >> >Hope to see many of you Labor Day weekend. Give me a
      >> >buzz and I'll fill you in on my exploits.
      >> >
      >> >--AA
      >>
      >>
      >>



       


    • Traci Van Deest
      Well, I got the note from Christa asking for more information about my thesis and I thought the rest of you might be interested in hearing this too. Since my
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 18, 2006

        Well, I got the note from Christa asking for more information about my thesis and I thought the rest of you might be interested in hearing this too. Since my emphasis in my physical anthropology MA is forensics this might make sense (or just make you think that I am completely morbid!). I am studying the relationship between the weight of the cremated remains of an individual to their age at death and sex.  No, I am not collecting this data on each person myself, although I will have to witness a cremation before this is all through. The staff at a funeral home here in Chico has been weighing the ashes for some time as a precautionary measure against litigation. So a family can not say that they didn't get all of the deceased, the funeral home knows exactly how much remains were given back. Yes, this is flawed and can only work with honest funeral home directors (they are!). And yes, there are families out there who will claim not to have recieved all of the ashes of their loved one in order to get some money out of the funeral home. It has happened in the area and the family won.  Even though the family was lying, the funeral home had no way to prove it. Anyway, I am then going to compare the weights of people here in Chico to three other studies from other areas of the country to see how they weigh in relation to other groups of people. I could get into all of the importance of this to forensic anthroplogy, criminal litagation and the funeral industry but if I tell you all of that there would be no reason for you to read my thesis.  Hey, somebody has to...

        Hope all of you are well and enjoying life, whatever that may be.

        Traci


        From: "Christa Bruce" <chbru19@...>
        Reply-To: PCElSalAg42002@yahoogroups.com
        To: PCElSalAg42002@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [PCElSalAg42002] OOOOPS
        Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:43:19 -0400

        Hi Traci,
         
        It's great to hear from you!  Could you give us a few more details about the cremation thesis?
         
        Christa

         
        On 8/31/06, Traci Van Deest <tlvandeest@hotmail. com> wrote:

        Hello All-

        I know that it has been a while since I have talked to any of you but that doesn't mean that I have forgatten about you. It is great to get emails once in a blue moon to see how you all are doing and where you are (even if they are slightly embarrassing) . Looks like a lot of people are back in school and moving through. That is where I still am and will be for a long time. I have been in northern California at Cal State University, Chico working on my Master's in Anthropology. Hopefully, I can pass my exams and get my thesis done to get out of here in May. (My thesis is on cremation if any one wanted to know) Looking forward to moving on to somewhere else to get my PhD. It has been a good year. Although I was rather surprised at the amount of readjusting I had to do to get back into the groove of school. I don't know how many of you had to go through that but it was not fun. I guess that readjusting doesn't just happen coming back from El Sal.    

        The only good story I have from this summer is from my job at lumberyard. I was driving a forklift and loading a bunch of lumber onto a man's truck. The load started to shift and the customer was standing where I thought it was going to fall. So I start SCREAMING at him to move, without success. He saw what I didn't, a support on his truck that would stop the lumber and place it exactly where he wanted it on his truck. So here I am, first off a girl in a lumberyard,  screaming at the top of my lungs in the middle of the parking lot with several construction workers laughing their asses off, while I think that I am about to kill a man. Needless to say he didn't die, although I thought that I was going to. (I spent my summer working and doing research so my stories aren't very exciting.)

        Well I would love to hear how some of the rest of you are doing.

        Cuidense,

        Traci


        Subject: Re: [PCElSalAg42002] OOOOPS
        Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:47:35 -0400


        I'm living with four undergrad boys.  Alllright.

        On 8/29/06, mary sacra <jillsacra@hotmail. com > wrote:

        alrighty gang -

        im really embarrassed here. i did not mean for everyone to get that last
        email. i meant to send it to just christa, but i do believe i sent it to
        everyone. great chisme. i just freaked out and called nathan and he gave me
        some good counseling and after the convo - our conclusion is that if there
        was any group of people to not be ashamed in front of, its you all. still
        pretty embarrassed though. damn list serves.

        and in case you are all wondering, mike and i are working through things and
        should be okay.

        so now that you all know what i have been up to this summer....what has
        everyone else been doing??

        >From: "Christa Bruce" < chbru19@gmail. com>
        >Reply-To: PCElSalAg42002@ yahoogroups. com
        >To: PCElSalAg42002@ yahoogroups. com
        >Subject: Re: [PCElSalAg42002] New info
        >Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:57:54 -0400
        >
        >Sacra,
        >
        >Where the hell have you been? I guess in law school, seeings how your
        >leapfrog em no sirve. How are your living arrangements? Are you living in
        >a house with 4 undergrad boys? No? Well, I am! What the hell?
        >
        >I have class tonight from 7-10. Then would love to talk (I have a loaner
        >cell phone for the week...although, I'm really thinking I'll need one of my
        >own since I'm up here with no friends and only funky non-social children
        >(might as well be) living nearby.
        >
        >I'm pretty sure I have your number. I'll try to call you later tonight.
        >
        >Lonely and v lost in East Stroudsburg.
        >Bruce
        >
        >
        >On 8/28/06, mary sacra < jillsacra@hotmail. com> wrote:
        >>
        >> what is going on labor day weekend? i feel so left out. not that have
        >>any
        >>money to travel anywhere, but i still want to know whats going on.
        >>
        >>signed,
        >>insecure and lonely in houston
        >>
        >>p.s. nathan - i talked to alexis last night. he is safe and sound in
        >>austin.
        >>hopefully mike and/or i will see him soon. and hopefully you wont be so
        >>scared to visit texas now that he and alex are here.
        >>
        >> >From: Adam Aroian < aaroian@alumni. nd.edu <aaroian%40alumni.nd.edu>>
        >> >Reply-To:
        >> PCElSalAg42002@ yahoogroups. com<PCElSalAg42002% 40yahoogroups. com>
        >> >To: PCElSalAg42002@ yahoogroups. com <PCElSalAg42002% 40yahoogroups. com>
        >> >Subject: [PCElSalAg42002] New info
        >> >Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:38:40 -0700 (PDT)
        >>
        >> >
        >> >Hey folks--
        >> >
        >> >I finally made it to New York. Here's the new contact
        >> >info:
        >> >
        >> >610 E 20th St. Apt. MG
        >> >New York, NY 10009
        >> >
        >> >Cell: (978) 257-6730
        >> >
        >> >Hope to see many of you Labor Day weekend. Give me a
        >> >buzz and I'll fill you in on my exploits.
        >> >
        >> >--AA
        >>
        >>
        >>



         



      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.