Re: [PCElSalAg42002] Update request

  • tower13floor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4 11:21 AM
      Hi Christy, Jared, and baby Jeff,

      I like how Bob started his email. Here's my story. It's like the start of a Lifetime movie. Luckily my life has only been like the beginning of one when everyone is normal and happy right before the daugher becomes bulimic or little Jimmy gets kidnapped or the husband's second wife shows up at the door.

      In the fall I started work with Genesee Valley Outdoor Learning Center, a place in Parkton, MD, 40 min north of Baltimore. I got room and board and I lived with my co-workers, who were fun people. Groups come to Genesee Valley for teambuilding and working together through initiatives, low, and high ropes. We had mostly schools come, but we also had boy and girl scout troops, churches, sports teams, and corporate groups. I learned a lot about how to use ropes, how to work with groups, a little about climbing, and I got to do some of the elements. A favorite was the zip n' dip, a zipline that lands you in a lake. The place is 350 acres of beautiful farmland and woods. Right now there's lots of corn growing, there are baby turkeys, pigs, and lambs. The fall season ended in November, so after
      being home for Thanksgiving (wasn't it nice to be home for it at last?) I went back to Parkton and worked for a catering company until Christmas. After New Year's I went to Ireland for about 3 months with 2 girls from work. We started in Dublin and vaguely followed the coast all around the whole country. We stayed with some distant cousins along the way and also worked for our room and board. At one place we cut briars and grass from a basket-maker's willow fields. We saw many beautiful sights and have seen enough churches, graveyards, and stone ruins to last a lifetime. We spent a week in Scotland in Edinburgh and in the Highlands. I tried skiing and had some spectacular crashes. After my travelling partners went home, I spent about 3 weeks on Clare Island in County Mayo. I worked for a family in their garden and took long walks amongst the sheep. For St. Patrick's Day there was a parade of tractors pulling decorated trailers. The island drunk led the way in a donkey-drawn cart dressed up at the saint himself. I came home in March and worked the spring season at Genesee Valley. Now I'm home in Rochester for a week until I go to camp in Maine to lead
      the trip to Mexico again. I may return to the ropes course in the fall, but I think I want to do something different, maybe out west. Who knows. For now I'm trying to brush up on Spanish and pack for the trip. It was nice to hear from you, and Jeff looks great!  If I end up in MD again I'll let you know. Talk to you soon!
    • Alan James Alexander-Pascoe
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2006

        Hello Friends,

        Sorry it has taken me forever to send out an update.  Lately it just seems like I don’t have the time to dedicate to myself that I used to.  Between, work, school, girlfriend and various other commitments it seems like I divide myself so many ways for others that I forget to leave a bit for myself.  In any case, it is good to hear from you and I’ll try to give you as much of an update as I can.

        I am still in Monterrey , Mexico and am still enjoying myself here.  School is going well and I am currently on “vacation” from class; the trimester ended last week and the summer session starts on Monday.  I had to work this week anyway so it was only a semi-vacation.  I wanted to go to South Padre Island with my girlfriend’s family this weekend, but Mexican Immigration has yet to give me back the renewal of my student visa and until they do, I can’t leave Mexico .  For all intents and purposes, I will finish school next month.  I am taking two summer classes and all that will remain to finish the degree once I finish the summer session will be my field project and I plan to mix that with my job.  Once the Field Project is done, I graduate, which will be this coming December.  After graduation life will get really interesting as I really have nothing planned.  I want to stay in Mexico to be close to my girlfriend, and because I generally just like it here, but I am starting to see that the prospects are limited and not that interesting.  I can’t say that studying for an MBA has been the most intellectually stimulating experience of my life, but it is free education and living here has been a fun and eye opening.

        I’ve been thinking about giving UT Law another run because I think being in an environment where I will basically take elective courses for two years (the second and third year) will give me a chance to try a bunch of different things and hopefully find something I like.  I want to investigate how I could parlay my experience, interest and bilingual abilities into a successful law career.  In addition, if I have to live in the US , at least I know that I like Austin .

        My job is OK, nothing to get excited about.  A local steel company known as Hylsa was bought by an Argentine company called Ternium.  Ternium reorganized their operations and did an IPO in February on the New York Stock Exchange.  Our ticker is TX if you care to look us up.  Anyway, given the IPO the company opened up a new department to begin to handle investor relations and to analyze the stock as well as the global steel industry.  They came to my school looking for people with a finance backgrounds and I got hired almost on the spot.  The extra money is helping a lot with school and at long last, I am finally using my finance degree.  It may be the only time I ever use it, but at least I am finally getting some practice out of it.  I think there is a possibility for a permanent job with Ternium, but nothing has been promised.  At present they are content with me and my work and from there we just have to wait and see what develops.

        Anyway, that is basically where I am right now.  I’m not exactly sure about what the future holds, I just hope to have interesting options for the next steps in my life, whatever they may be.

        I think about you all often and hope for nothing but the best for you.

        Take Care,

        Alan

        P.S. In case anyone missed it, Texas won the national title in football last January.  Hehe!  Hook’em!