Stick time

  • R. O. Blankenship
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      Marlin and Crew

      I remember a few times I have sat in for everyone of the crew in PBYs,
      including the navigator (on a formation flight where the lead plane was
      actually doing the navigating for the group). I don't think I have ever
      seen any other crewmembers sit in on a radio watch though. Has any one had
      any experience with that?

      My only flights with APs as pilots was after the war. One memorable flight
      was a ferry flight from Quonset Point to Port Lyautey, FM to bring in a PBY
      for use in the area for ASR. The crew was two CAPs (Langowski and Tom
      Dobbs) and an ACMM as plane captain and me on the radio. 3 long days
      enroute and I did make a few ham contacts on that one.

      Best - Bob W4KGH
    • TWMcCarthy@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
        In a message dated 12/1/2001 5:37:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        blankens@... writes:

        << I remember a few times I have sat in for everyone of the crew in PBYs,
        including the navigator (on a formation flight where the lead plane was
        actually doing the navigating for the group). I don't think I have ever
        seen any other crewmembers sit in on a radio watch though. Has any one had
        any experience with that? >>

        Hey, that is a great thought. I recall my pilot seating me in the right-hand
        seat one time to "check out my flying ability". Actually, he wanted someone
        who could fly the plane and get it safely on the ground in case both pilots
        were disabled.

        He told me to just keep it level (watch the air speed and keep it constant)
        and keep the wings level by watching the indicator. I wallowed around like a
        hippo in a mud puddle and he finally gave up. But I'll bet he couldn't have
        done any better as a radio operator!

        Another time he let the Navigator attempt a landing. when he pointed the
        nose at the gfound and left it there, the pilot said "Enough of this, we will
        just have to take our chances."

        God bless America
        The Hoosier Hotshot
      • Ragnar J Ragnarsson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
          Bob,

          Do you have the BuNo on that PBY you ferried from Q.P. to Port
          Lyautey, and the dates?

          Ragnar

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > See What You've Been Missing!
          > Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
          > Click here
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/75YKVC/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/KmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • R. O. Blankenship
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
            Hi Ragnar

            I am sorry to say that I do not have any of the information you requested.
            I do know that it was in either 1954 or early 1955. The flight was from Q.
            P. to Argentia and the Azores with RONs at both places. I either didn't log
            the time or was careless. I rather believe that by that time I was not real
            interested in logging the time and that was a BIG mistake on my part.
            I had a lot of time as radioman in JDs about that time flying from Port
            Lyautey towing targets for the fleet in the Med. This was rather unusual
            since by that time I had changed my rating to Air Controlman (Control Tower
            Operator) and eventually changed it again to Technician. I also had flights
            after returning to the states in Beechcraft with APs as pilots and me as an
            instructor in Air Control school was assigned as Co-pilot of planes used to
            teach GCA operators on practice runs at Olathe, Kansas. That was scary at
            times because that was my first experience doing an approach toward the
            runway. Luckily we went over the fence and they pulled up for another go
            around.
            You know the one thing I have been racking my brain about was whether the
            plane we ferried was a 5A or a 6A but I just assumed it was a 5A when I
            first started thinking back about it much later.

            Long winded but sorry I can't help on the identification of the plane.

            Bob.