Re: [PBY] PBM5A

  • royangie@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
      I noted on the PB5A pictures immediately that they had taken the gun
      turrets off and then when read the info found out why. We had these
      turrets mounted on trailers and took them to beach and they would fly a
      sleeve by and we would give it a go.
      Then back in the hangar we field striipped the 50 calibers until we got
      proficient. I think 45 seconds was acceptable. Then the bow turret had 2
      50 cal and the top turret had 2 50 cal and these were dangeroius. They
      had a piece of wire hanging in the area of the manual control.
      You could move the turret manually but you always hooked this wire over
      the handle to prevent the turret from being moved while you were out of
      the turret getting a cup of java.. Once back inside you removed the
      wire with the ring over the handle and then you could control the turret
      with hyddraulic power. The problem was that if you forgot to put that
      wire over the handle and left, when you came back if it had turned you
      were locked out but a greater problem was when getting in without the
      safet wire,the turrekt could turn andperhaps cut you in half. I have
      heard about this happening on the top turret which was located just aft
      of the trailing edge of the wing. One day I left the safety wire off the
      bow and started to enter and had my chest in the compartment. I
      immediatelky braced my arms against each side of the turret and was able
      to stop it. Now i am stucked there and mike could not be reached, I
      fnally got one hand in touch with the manual and managed to turn the
      turret just enukff to get my entire body in. I neverforgot that
      again...roy..I dont think you can see it in the pictures but the rear
      hatch on each side had a forward and a rear door. The JATO bottles were
      hung on the rear door..

      John 3:16