Re: [PBY] BRIDGEPORT, 1942

  • frankd
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2001
      Wynnum:

      The plane departing Oahu on 31 Dec 1941 was the one in which we brought Adm
      Nimitz to Pearl Harbor. The senior PPC was Lt. B.F. McLeod. I was not on that
      return flight to San Diego because part of the incoming flight crew stayed in
      Kaneohe to patrol. My log book shows I patrolled out of Kaneohe in PB2Y-2
      BUNO 1636 the entire month of Jan 1942. On Jan 25th my log shows I flew to
      Midway Is. where we were shelled by a Jap sub at dusk that evening. It was my
      first time under enemy fire and as the Jap shells came whistling inbound I
      found myself wondering if "Is this how it is going to end?" But the shells
      fell mostly into the lagoon and I survived "my baptism of enemy fire!"
      We returned to Kaneohe the next day.

      F. DeLorenzo

    • Larry Katz
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2001
        Lou had to reread your note to me,You sure like to cut deep on things
        you dont know. Just remember you had to be doing the things we were
        doing and not to be stateside reading about us....You know what you
        implied asking me to tell you about my first experience into enemy
        controlled skies. I could send you my log book for you to read my
        notes,but makes no difference it would be another sea story.