Re: [PBY] Blow up of 13-P-10 and 13-P-1

  • Ragnar J Ragnarsson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      Wynnum,

      Just saw your two postings to the PBY group and wanted to tell you that the discussion was taking place on Bill Larkin's USNavyAircraft group. Suggest you re-post to that group because most the PBY crowd won't know what you're talking about and the ones on the USNavyAircraft group will sadly miss it.

      Home with the flu today,
      Ragnar

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        Wynnum:

        I don't know if this will help resolve the blister question in the
        Philippines, but quoted is a portion of an April 30, 1980 letter from
        retired Commander George Webber, who was a NAP at the time of the pertinent
        squadron shufflings.

        "...I was in VP-26. VP-21 left in September '39 for Manila. We left San
        Diego as VP-13 on 10 Sept '39 for Pearl. In June of '40 we took our PBY-4s
        as VP-26 to Cavite and brought back their VP-21 planes for overhaul. We
        used them for six months during overhaul and then we (VP-26) went back to
        Cavite for duty in Dec. '40. None of these 28 had blisters.

        "...I arrived in Australia at Broome on 22 Feb and in Perth on 6 March only
        to find that all my squadron mates who preceded me had left for home on the
        MT VERNON. About 36 of us were then kept in Australia to indoctrinate the
        new people arriving. I came home in March 1943 and became the first Flight
        Deck Officer on the MIDWAY (CVB 41) in 1945...."

        allan_lebaron@...

      • Wynnum B Graham
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
          Allan,
          Thanks for that - I took note of George Webber's letter last time you posted
          it - all data is valuable.
          Thing is though, 29 PBY-4 went to the Philippines.
          Three PBY remained in US, for grand total of 32 PBY-4s built.
          Of the three which remained stateside, only one had blisters - conversely,
          of the three built with blisters, only one remained stateside.
          Photo evidence shows a "blister" PBY-4 at Hawaii - I'm wondering If George
          Webber saw that one? Does his letter refer to it?
          Keen to hear.
          Cheers, Wynnum.

          > I don't know if this will help resolve the blister question in the
          > Philippines, but quoted is a portion of an April 30, 1980 letter from
          > retired Commander George Webber, who was a NAP at the time of the
          pertinent
          > squadron shufflings.
          >
          > "...I was in VP-26. VP-21 left in September '39 for Manila. We left San
          > Diego as VP-13 on 10 Sept '39 for Pearl. In June of '40 we took our
          PBY-4s
          > as VP-26 to Cavite and brought back their VP-21 planes for overhaul. We
          > used them for six months during overhaul and then we (VP-26) went back to
          > Cavite for duty in Dec. '40. None of these 28 had blisters.
          >
          > "...I arrived in Australia at Broome on 22 Feb and in Perth on 6 March
          only
          > to find that all my squadron mates who preceded me had left for home on
          the
          > MT VERNON. About 36 of us were then kept in Australia to indoctrinate the
          > new people arriving. I came home in March 1943 and became the first
          Flight
          > Deck Officer on the MIDWAY (CVB 41) in 1945...."
          >
          > allan_lebaron@...
        • Allan LeBaron
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
            Wynnum:

            No, he doesn't refer to a blistered PBY in Hawaii. Somewhere in his letters
            Ted refers to flying in a PBY with a blister but that may have been a
            regular -5A. His squadron shared a hangar with VP-26 before they went to
            the Philippines. I'll try to go thru his letters from 1940 to see if I can
            find that reference; if it is in 1941 then my assumption would be that it
            was a -5A. But I do remember that it was considered a new thing in PW2. I
            would have expected a 'blistered' PBY would be just the thing for PW10
            considering the kind of patrols they flew, but someone may have decided
            'uniformity' was more important; some Navy officers were great for
            uniformity. These photos Don Brammer is posting which show every airplane
            positioned to an eighth of an inch show that - it must have taken a long
            time to get everything just so for those photos and the thinking(?) which in
            to them would still be strong in 1940; that was when enlisted men were
            expected to do everything they were told to do, no matter how silly, with a
            'cheerful countenance.' Personally, I always enjoyed the ones who bitched
            some more - they often had the best ideas!

            allan_lebaron@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
              Norman:

              Just unsubscribe - send an e-mail to the site and put Unsubscribe in the
              Subject. Then, when you come back, subscribe again. I haven't tried it but
              don't think it is any problem - almost all administrators will take care of
              that. You might, when you do that, ask in the text to be resubscribed at a
              certain date.

              allan_lebaron@...

            • Norman Taylor
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
                ALAN: How do I sign off the PBY site for several days: I leave for my annual
                warbirds gathering in Titusville on the 6th of March and will be gone l0-l2
                days and don't want my e-mail to over load while I'm gone. Thanks Norm