More PBY rescue tales

  • Louis Dorny
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2013
      GEOSS from Lou...

      You need not concern yourself with  the idea that you somehow burden us all with your anniversary. We always enjoy your input.

      Since you speak of a rescue by PBY, here's another story of a similar event, in rather more dire circumstances. Attached are six pages of narrative, 300-302 are on 17 January 1942, 359-361 on 25 January, 1942, and it concerns a raid by Army bombers and Patrol Wing TEN's rescue of one of the crews.

      This is in the Dutch East Indies, not even two months after the war started in the Pacific. The Wing and the Army are flying from Java, the Wing in addition mounting PBY patrols from tenders east of Java, in this case USS William B. Preston at Boeboe, Butong Island. For details, the Japanese took the Menado / Kema area with the important airfield at Langoan and the anchorage at Bangka Roads on 11 January, continued to push south and took the field at Kendari on 24 January. Greater Masalembo Island is in the eastern Java Sea.

      Also, though Campbell identifies his PBY #42 as the former Dutch Navy Y-42, he was mistaken, and Y-42 was lost in Dutch service.

      You'll notice, George, that this rescue was more traumatic than you own, but I suspect you really didn't want any more drama than you already had. Amchitka does not qualify as a lush tropical island in the South Pacific.

      Cheers, Lou