Re: Ed Stewart - new member

  • Franz
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2013
      David, N608FF was unique in that it had a square decal about 1' X 1' just forward of the air stare door on both sides..can't remember what it said though. I posted another picture of JJG taken in 1970 when it was owned by our subsidiary company Canadian Aero Service and this was typical of it's survey configuration with a loop on the front and a drop down "bird" for lowering on the back upslope. I also found an old picture of N610FF when it was in the survey configuration. Hope you had fun flying ! Ed

      --- In PBY@yahoogroups.com, "j-chris.polet" <prouilhacat2@...> wrote:

      > Interestingly it is the same livery that dressed CF-JJG.
      > Then I guess the picture shared by Richard Dumigan is the transition CF-MIR (still on the rudder) to N608FF.
      >

      > Jean-Christophe
      >

      > ________________________________
      > De : David Legg <pby5@...>
      > À : PBY@yahoogroups.com
      > Envoyé le : Jeudi 2 mai 2013 21h12
      > Objet : Re: [PBY] Ed Stewart - new member
      >

      > Your first photo of N608FF is a revelation!  Although I didn't bust a gut, I had been on the lookout for a photo of that Catalina with that registration for years!  The particular colour scheme it is wearing on that photo was very attractive but was later replaced with a very drab grey and red one which it still wore when our organisation (Plane Sailing Air Displays Ltd) acquired it at the end of 1984.  However, in the spares holding that same with it there were still a few panels with that previous livery on.
      >
      > Again, welcome to the group.
      >

      > David Legg
      > Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
      >

      > On 2 May 2013, at 19:15, Franz <sillohed666@...> wrote:
      >

      > >David,
      > >Which picture are you looking at that you think might be N609FF? All of the photos that I took are N608FF parked on the ramp in Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua in June 1968. I have never seen N609FF or N610FF which I believe were fire supression aircraft operated by Firefly in Oregon. The only other photo is CF-JJG parked on the ramp at Ranci, India.
      > >
      > >--- In PBY@yahoogroups.com, David Legg <pby5@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Actually, I just noticed that the second picture is not N608FF but N609FF, later VH-EXG and extant in Australia still but the first photo alone was worth the price of admission!!!
      > >>
      > >> David Legg
      > >> Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
      > >>

      > >> Begin forwarded message:

    • Allan Hanna
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2013
        Without getting into the long story, both N610FF (CV-399) and N609FF (CV-369) spent very little flight hours in fire suppression (although N610FF did spruce bud worm spraying in Alaska as 'test flights'). N610FF first flew survey showing the "Barringer Research" name, I believe that was late 1964. At that same time N609FF has its only outing doing fire suppression as a land based bomber, before conversion to survey configuration.

        Both of those planes are relatively easy to recognize in pictures - when Fairey (Aviation Canada, ltd - Victoria BC) did the conversion for us, we put the low wide Holley air intakes on top of the Bendix carburetors. I believe that was unique to the Queeney STC's, which was what we purchased as the licenses for our conversion. That same group of STC's was what allowed us to install the Sperry A-12 autopilot.

        Sorry for the delay in joining this discussion - long flight yesterday from Hong Kong to San Francisco, and a seemingly longer time yesterday evening with some of my friends here.

        Cheers!

        Allan C Hanna
        Chicago IL