Re: [PBY] File - 014 Cut-away PBY shopping list

  • Bob Cleworth
    Message 1 of 147 , Apr 1, 2013
      Tell Doug to give us a photo or diagram of any of the parts particularly the heaters as these were never used by the RAAF in the Pacific and were removed - there must be some around but we need to know what they look like
      Bob Cleworth

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 01/04/2013, at 11:02 PM, PBY@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      THE CUTAWAY PBY SHOPPING LIST;
      TO BRING IT TO A HIGHER LEVEL OF AUTHENTICITY. 6/27/04

      Updated April 3rd 2006. Thanks to Bob Romaine.

      Although, happily, the Cutaway PBY is now displayed on the floor of the
      National Museum of Naval Aviation, Pensacola, Florida and she is beautifull!
      There are a few things that we still need to go in it but we just haven't
      been able to locate them. When we can find them with your help we will
      be able to install them where she is on display.

      1.) An Auxiliary Power Unit: NO LONGER NEEDED! IS INSTALLED!

      composed of: an Eclipse B, one cylinder 4 hp
      ENGINE with attached Eclipse NEM or NEP-2 generator and prefer it to
      be equipped with a Romec bilge pump. The bilge pump, if present,
      operates off the engines power take off (PTO) and is optional.
      We would even be happy to find a complete APU or any major components
      by themselves in any condition.
      *see Eclipse jpg atachment (to be added seperately)
      Note: Disregard number 699-2-A as it is an old Supply catalog
      stock number.

      2.) Stewart-Warner Heater Supercharger (Model 782-A) used to power aircraft
      Southwind type heater system. This example is from a PB2Y-5R but
      most of the PBY-5 units were similar. The 2hp. gasoline engine is on the
      left and the supercharger/blower is on the right.
      *See Model 782 attachment. (to be added seperately)

      3.) A two burner Chromalox brand Electric Stove or look-alike,
      about 18" X 9" and 3" high; burners are flat plate type about
      7 to 7 1/2" in diameter; on the end of the stove are two rotating
      type heat switches (Low, Medium, High and Off ). The rated voltage
      doesn't matter because the electrical system will not be energized.
      A look-alike will do.

      4.) Claxon (trumpet shaped) Warning Horn. (May be spelled KLAXON).
      It is shaped like a musical instrument with a tube and a turned under
      loop with a flared horn.

      5.) Air Almanac. USN Hydrographic Office Publication, for any year
      from 1942 to 1944 in any condition.

      6.) The following Long Range Air To Surface Vessel, Mk.II,
      (LRASV II) Radar Components (Airborne Radio Installation [ARI] ):
      (a) One Broadside Radar Transmitting Antenna (Yagi style).
      (b) One Broadside Receiving Array Impedance Matching Units.
      (c) Four Broadside Receiving Array antenna ( Dipoles ).
      (d) One Broadside Transmitting Array Matching Unit.

      7.) A British R-30 IFF Remote Control Unit which mounts under Master
      Electric Panel to the right of the Radiomans right arm.

      8.) A model SIS 1050 British Camera Control and Junction Box which
      mounts on bracket on starboard side of Bombers bow window.

      It will be deeply appreciated if we can be informed of any possible sources
      for any of the above equipment. We will follow up on every lead.

      Prepared by Jim Mooney.

      call Doug Kirby at 850-452 3604 Extension 149.

    • PBY@yahoogroups.com