Re: [PBY] File - 005 PBY related Books D to H

  • Bob Cleworth
    Message 1 of 87 , Apr 1, 2013
      Another is Catalina over Arctic Ocean : Anti-Submarine and Rescue flying in WW2 by John French OBE DFC AFC AE. Pen&Sword (2012) ISBN 979 1 78159 053 9
      Good story this guy was in the RAF has a great career flew everything and had se interesting appointments

      Bob Cleworth

      Sent from my iPhone

    • PBY@yahoogroups.com
      Message 87 of 87 , May 31
        PBY related books, part 3 of 5:

[...]

        Compiled by Bob Cleworth.
        Published by Bob Cleworth, 7 Wandella Avenue, Roseville 2069, Australia.
        Published October 2006
        Printed by Macquarie University Lighthouse Press, NSW 2109, Australia.
        ISBN - 1-74138-204-1 and 978-1-74138-204-4
        275 pages.

        Flight Manual for Itermediate Patrol Seaplanes (PBY)
        By: U. S. Naval Air Station, Pensacola, FL, 1944. Stapled.
        Over 9�" - 12" tall. 114 pages.
        Complete instructions on operating the Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina patrol
        bomber. This training manual was prepared as a guide to both students and
        instructors for use in the intermediate seaplane patrol course taught at the
        Pensacola Naval Air Station during World War II. It is a supplement to the PBY
        Pilot's Handbook and Erection and Maintenance Manuals provided with each PBY
        aircraft. The chapters include the following: 1) The Patrol Plane covering
        Starting, Engine and Propeller Operation and Safety Precautions; 2) Patrol
        Plane Seamanship including Launching, Wind Determination, Taxiiing, Beaching
        and Beach Approaches, Ramping and Ramp Approaches, Mooring, and Anchoring;
        3) The Patrol Plane in the Air including Take-offs, Climbing, Cruising and
        Spiraling, Landings and Precision Landings, Water Loops, and Emergencies both
        Practice and Real; 4) Patrol Plane Communications including Operating the Voice
        Radio in the PBY, Voice Radio Procedure, Interphone Procedure, and Operating
        the CW Radio in the PBY.

        Flying Boat -
        The history of 262 squadron RAF and the Origin of 35 Squadron SAAF.
        By: Ivan Spring, forword by Wing Commander ESS "GAR" Nash DFC, AFC.
        ISBN: 0-9583977-2-4
        Published: 1995, by Spring Air CC, PO box 92070, Norwood, Johannesburg 2117
        170 pages, b/w photos.

        The Flying Boats of Bermuda.
        By:L Colin A. Pomeroy
        ISBN: 0-9698332-4-5
        Colin writes:
        Dear Fellow PBY (and other flying boat/seaplane/floatplane) Enthusiasts,
        I am posting this notice on the egroup site to tell you about my new book,
        which was published just last week: "The Flying Boats of Bermuda".
        The book - which runs to some 90,000 words, 260 pages and contains over 220
        photographs and diagrams (most never before seen in print) - charts the
        history of marine aviation in Bermuda from the first flight in 1919, by a
        Burgess N-9H 'Jenny' from the American SS Elinor, through to the very last
        light seaplane movement in 1987 - and has major chapters on the USN
        (Darrell's Island and the NOB) and the RAF activities in Bermuda where, of
        course, PBY Catalinas were very much to the fore: the USN squadrons in flying
        ASW and SAR patrols off Bermuda, and the RAF involved in the ferrying of
        Lend-Lease aircraft (mainly across the North Atlantic).

        The annexes include a listing of all known Bermuda-Associated flying boat and
        seaplane accidents, large portions of the war diaries of RAF Bermuda
        (Darrell's Island and main island HQ) and of RAF Ferry Command/No 45 Group,
        plus a host of other material.

        Other than the PBY, military aircraft making appearances include the PBM
        Mariner, PB2Y Coronado, OSU2 Kingfisher and P5M Marlin; the civil aviation
        years section include the Empire Class flying boats, as well as the Boeing
        314, Sikorsky S-42 and the Vought-Sikorsky VS-44.

        USN squadrons referred to include VPs 15, 45, 49, 51, 52, 63, 74, 105, 201,
        207 and 215, and VSs 32 and 35; 201, 231 and 524 squadrons, and AFTERO, Ferry
        Command and 45 Ferry Group fly the RAF flag in the book.

        If you would like to order a copy of the book, you can do so by contacting:

        1. For US $ orders: Print Link Ltd, PO Box HM 937, Hamilton HMDX, Bermuda.
        The cost is $27.50, plus $5 air-lifted mail - please make your check payable
        to Print Link Ltd.

        2. For sterling orders: C A Pomeroy, Pallington Lakes, Pallington,
        Dorchester, DT2 8QU, England.
        The cost is �17.25, plus �5 for airmail or �2 for surface mail. Please make
        your cheque payable to C A Pomeroy.

        My RAF service was on Shackleton and Nimrod (ASW) aircraft; however, I do
        hope that those of you who flew and worked on aircraft such as the PBY will
        feel that I have done you credit in my offering.
        Warmest regards, Colin Pomeroy.

        Flying Cats;
        The Catalina Aircraft in World War II.
        By: Andrew Hendrie
        ISBN: 1-85310-028-5
        Airlive Publishing, 7 St. John's Hill, Shrewsburey, England.
        Published: 1988
        240 pages

        "Forgotten War Forgiven Guilt"
        By: David A. Witts
        Publisher: Yucca Tree (Las Cruces) 2003.
        Hardcover: 262 pages
        Publisher: Barbed Wire Publishing Services, Inc. (July 2003)
        Language: English
        ISBN-10: 1881325717
        ISBN-13: 978-1881325710
        Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.1 x 0.8 inches
        Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds
        Photos, map
        13th Air Force as written by PBY pilot, incl section on Japanese war crimes
        and allied POW's:
        "It seems the 13th Air Force's missions and accomplishments have never been
        officially recorded despite its amazing triumphs, including preventing the
        Japanese from overtaking Guadalcanal through intense air warfare.
        Without the help of official records, this important book is part memoir,
        part history and part meditation on history. Witts, who practiced law in Dallas
        following his tour with the 13th Air Force from 1943-46, recalls how he set
        about writing "Forgotten War, Forgiven Guilt":
        "It all started so simply. Five years ago, I donated to the Hoover Institution
        at Stanford University my personal WWII collection of maps, photographs, flying
        equipment, Japanese battle flags and paraphernalia collected during 50-mission
        tour with the 13th Air Force in the South Pacific. The Hoover archivist asked
        if I could provide a history to accompany the items. To my disbelief, no
        history of the 13th Air Force and its remarkable accomplishments existed."
        As Witts pursued official, written documentation, he discovered that the few
        accounts he tracked were completely inaccurate. To make matters worse, he was
        denied any sound explanations for the omissions from World War II history.
        "Forgotten War, Forgiven Guilt" is Witts' personal endeavor to tell the
        complete, accurate history of the 13th Air Force. His vivid, dramatic tale
        includes how this relatively small band of fighter planes fought the then-
        greatest naval airpower in the world to a standstill -- thereby halting
        Japanese expansion in the Pacific and ensuring an eventual allied victory.
        In addition to the numerous air battles and rescue missions conducted by the
        13th Air Foce, Witts also describes the atrocities of the Japanese that were
        more bestial, of longer duration and more widespread than those of Hitler's
        Germany.
        "Unlike Germany, which apologized, prosecuted its criiminals and compensated
        its victims, Japan remains in smug and resolute denial," says Witts. "Forgotten
        War, Forgiven Guilt" is my attempt to rectify the historical omission of the
        13th Air Force, as well as question why Japan has never been held accountable
        for its atrocities."
        According to Milton Friedman, economist and Nobel Laureate, Hoover Institution,
        Stanford University, this book is a highly personal and passionate commentary
        on the 13th Air Force by someone who was there. "Opinionated and shocking and
        also highly readable," says Friedman, who encouraged Witts to pen his memoirs
        as a historical record of the Pacific's forgotten fighters.

        The Forgotten Squadron - Memories of WWII in Alaska
        By: Ray Bergh
        Publisher: Privately Printed, Havre MT
        Publication Date: 1999
        Binding: Trade Paperback
        Illustrator: Photographs

        Forgotten Warriors of the Aleutian Campaign
        By: Jim Rearden.

        Frigate Bird.
        By: P. G. Taylor
        ISBN: none
        Angus and Robertson Ltd, 105 Great Russell street,
        London, WC1, England.
        Published: 1953
        243 pages

        Flying with the Air-Sea Rescue Service.
        By L. E. Theiss
        Publisher: Wilde (USA) 1946
        292pages + 4 pages of photographs.
        In a typical post-war narrative style, the author provides memorable
        accounts of a number of rescues carried out by the US Air Sea Rescue Service.
        Includes many interesting tales of real-life operations carried out using PBY
        Catalinas, helicopters and rescue launches.

        Galloping Ghosts of the Brazilian Coast
        By: Alan C. Carey
        On U.S. Naval air operations in the South Atlantic during WW.II,
        has a pretty good coverage of both VP-83 and VB-107 with photographs.
        It's available from www.universe.com.
        Contributed by Ragnar.

        The Guadalcanal Campaign by Lundstrom.
        If you want to read some exctiting prose about PBYs mixing it up with enemy
        aircraft in the midst of those carrier slug fests in 1942, get a copy of
        Lundstrom's The Guadalcanal Campaign. His focus is on the USN fighters
        operations and tactics, but at Eastern Solomons and Santa Cruz the battles
        involved numbers of PBYs doing their thing, and in spades, and he's very open
        about indicating that the search sectors were laid out by the command using
        COMINT to estimate when and where the Japanese fleet would make their move.
        Contributed by Lou Dorny.

        HARD ROCK TO BLUE SKIES.
        By: Stan Mahoney
        Recounts pre WWII duty in PB2Ys, VP-11, and VP-14 and then later duty
        when Captain DeLorenzo was his PPC.
        This book is available from the author, Mr. Stan Mahoney,
        1801 Grove Road, El Cajon, CA 92020, USA.
        delivered anywhere in the US for $20.