[PBY] PBY Side Numbers

  • wbg@bigpond.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 1999
      Help - need explanation on the 'later in WWII' side numbering systems. I notice R631 and B034 mentioned recently. When did this numbering system start, and how/why did it come into being?

      All members can post a message to pby@egroups.com
      http://www.egroups.com/List/PBY
      Greetings
    • David Legg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 1999
        Harleyford's 'Aircraft Camouflage and Markings, 1907-1954' is not overly
        helpful but quotes the following: "Pre-war squadron markings were still used
        in many American-based units eg 74-P-3 in white on the nose of a Mariner
        indicating aircraft No 3 of Patrol Squadron 74. These markings were,
        however, discarded in combat zones, because of their revealing nature.
        Typical of combat area individual and formation markings were letter/number
        combinations such as L17,L18,L19 etc on 30 inch white letters forward of the
        US star on the fuselage sides."

        David Legg: Editor, The Catalina News, The Catalina Society

        david_legg@...