Re : [PBY] JATO equiped PBY's

  • j-chris.polet
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012
      Was it the wiring (last minute)... or the unit release handle (after burn)... or both...

      Some warnings from the Technical Order :
      Always checking with the pilot to make sure all JATO switches are OFF.
      As little as 1V will cause operation of the igniter in 10 to 15 seconds.
      Then NO voltage at all.
      The electric leads shouldn't be connected until ready for take-off.

      The slip stream at the speed the airplane normally flies may not be sufficient to push the units off their mounts with the release open and may require one of the crews to reach out of the blister and push the units off to the rear.

      Did you say Waooh! Dangerous these things...

      De : Heijo Kuil <HKuil@...>
      À : pby@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Dimanche 1 avril 2012 5h20
      Objet : [PBY] JATO equiped PBY's

      Hello members.

      Today at Historic Flight Foundation I showed a visitor the inside of our B-25 "Grumpy" and when talking aircraft
      he said that his father was involved with JATO equiped PBY's.
      He had to pull the cords to get the JATO's starting.
      Any comments?

      Our B-25 Grumpy is flying to the Doolittle reunion in Dayton Ohio in April 17 - 20, see:
      http://www.doolittlereunion.com/

      They are hoping to have 25 B-25 Mitchell's at this last reunion.

      Greetings, Heijo.

    • Roy Carthen

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012

          A while back I wrote an episode about taking off from Gitmo Bay wth a JATO assist.. The plane was heavily loaded and the bay was smooth as silk.. After two unsuccessful take offs  we attached two bottles on both sidel.. Normally out Ordinance men took care of that.. As I remember the take off we were straining the old engines and just couldn’t break the suction and at the peak we popped the bottles and we leaped up out of the water.. That was the only time I was aboard on a JATO assisted take off.. There is more to the story but that is how I remember the experience.. At that time we had nine PBY 5A in our squadron. VP34 FAW 5 NAS, Norfolk, VA

          Diddy VP34

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012
            While in Norfolk, did you meet an engine mechanic named Joseph Franke?

            John

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012
              There is a Photo ofan RAAF PBY with JATO attached in David Vincen's"Catalina Chronicle" and also in one of those walk around boks or te Model makers one - can't lay my hand on it at the moment I am at Jindabyne NSW n the Snowy Mountains fo Easter (n snow tho! bu plenty sushine!) Yes Cats did have JATO assistance
              Bob

              Bob Cleworth

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012

                Hi John … No I cant say that I did.. No one by that name was in my squadron.  We had a little over 100 men and I knew most of them because I was a section leader.. I sure can’t remember all their names after all these years but I saw their names I would remember. My leading chief was a chief mechanics and his name was Reed and we called him “ Shanghai “ .  My chief’s name was Gasque and we called him :Pappy”  He transferred over from a General Service Electrician to an An Aviation Electrician…  We had several Chief Mechanics but only two come to mind .. Rose and Neely.  They used to say Neely played pro baseball before Navy.

                But the gentleman you ask about could have been in Fasron, FAW 5, Faetulant, or VP 49 (PBM) or VP 33 .. All of those were out on Breezy Point along with my

                Squadron VP 34… Sorry

                diddy

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                  Do you mean this one Bob?

                  A24-104 / Operation Sinbad.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012

                      Thanks Bob and others who have confirmed to me that JATO was used on PBY planes.  I was only involved with PBY planes in the ferrying of two of them and then in VP84 which was only squadron of PBY5A's that I was in.  I never knew this and never saw the area where they are attached but someone had to have access to the electrical attachments in order to chech for stray voltage before attaching them and also not to ever attach them until ready for use.  So, imagine there was access from the inside for this attachment part of their use.  We were normally using depth charges, however when the battleship Von Tirptz which was in a port in Europe would get their steam up our intellignece forces would notify us it might be getting ready to go to sea so at that time we took the depth charges off and installed torpedoes..  The Von Terpitz never came out so never had to use them so it was back to depth charges for us.  My crew sank 3 subs, however, I was only on board for the sinking of U408...roy

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                        Yes but the test shots I have not seen - they are fantastic
                        Bob

                        Bob Cleworth

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 2012

                          Hi John,

                          I was in VP 34  in 46-49…When I first joined the squadron it was called VP AM 4 … Across the hangar was VP 33 or VP AM 3 and also there was a VP MS 9 a

                          PBM squadron.. Later when they changed the squadron designations VP MS 9 became VP 49.   So this was long after you were there..

                          Enjoyed liberties at Ocean View Park …Spent the rest of my liberties at a place called Lew’s Bar..and sometime went to Virginia Beach .. We spent time in Gitmo

                          Bay flying air sea rescue for the fleet maneuvers.  A couple of time we flew to Maine to get out of the hurricanes way..

                          diddy