[PBY] RE: name this 5A

  • Erik Thingbo
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011

      Hi Douglas.

      Cut it be PBY-5A  Bu48281  CON SD Cn.1643  CF-IHJ  N68623.

      There was used in the film “Steelyard Blues”

      Kind regards

      Erik

      Meddelelsen er klar til at blive sendt med følgende vedhæftede fil eller link:
      CF-IHJ   N 68623  sd1643-0003_N68623_00-06-1968_Long Beach, CA, USA_Photo, Michael O'Leary collection

      Bemærk! E-mail-programmer forhindrer muligvis afsendelse eller modtagelse af bestemte vedhæftede filtyper for at beskytte mod virus. Kontroller indstillingerne for e-mail-sikkerhed for at afgøre, hvordan vedhæftede filer behandles.
    • David Legg
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011

        Erik/Douglas: I had not had time to enter into this query until now but I think it highly likely that the Catalina in question is indeed the one that Erik mentions below. My only reservation, and one I had not had time to look into, is that N68623/CF-IHJ was at Long Beach whereas the Tallmantz base was at Orange County .  Perhaps the original photo provided by Doug showing the Mantz Phoenix being worked on and the PBY-5A in the background was taken at Long Beach and not at Mantz’s normal base.  Notwithstanding that, I am pretty sure that on balance it is N68623 in the background.

        David Legg

        Editor, The Catalina News, The Catalina Society

        Cut it be PBY-5A  Bu48281  CON SD Cn.1643  CF-IHJ  N68623.

        There was used in the film “Steelyard Blues”

        Kind regards

        Erik

        Meddelelsen er klar til at blive sendt med følgende vedhæftede fil eller link:
        CF-IHJ   N 68623  sd1643-0003_N68623_00-06-1968_Long Beach, CA, USA_Photo, Michael O'Leary collection

        Bemærk! E-mail-programmer forhindrer muligvis afsendelse eller modtagelse af bestemte vedhæftede filtyper for at beskytte mod virus. Kontroller indstillingerne for e-mail-sikkerhed for at afgøre, hvordan vedhæftede filer behandles.

      • j-christophe polet
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
          I was also on this one.
          The only difference was in the blisters instead of the cargo doors....
          J-Chris.

          De : David Legg <pby5@...>
          À : PBY@yahoogroups.com
          Envoyé le : Jeudi 1 Décembre 2011 11h09
          Objet : RE: [PBY] RE: name this 5A

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
            David and Erik,   there is no information with the photo and I know little about the full history of the movie airplane.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
              I wrote my previous mail at my work place.

              I was also on this one.
              The only difference was in the blisters instead of the cargo doors....

              Now, looking to my pictures, I'm not conviced at all it is N68623.
              The "Mantz" picture displays blisters in place.

              But CF-IHJ was cargo-converted almost from Dorval in 1956.
              On the picture at Long Beach, it is still with cargo doors, like in the movie.

              No other Id in mind...
              J-Chris.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011

                Ah – what a lark!  I’d missed the blisters!  Padded cell time again.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
                  Well, then, the ball bounce to Heijo.

                  Are you quite familiar with the history of N84857... ex-N5582V.

                  Would N5582V fit a candidate?... while it was in open storage at Palm Springs with engines removed circa 1968.
                  Owned by 1964 by Thomas Kendall, whom some planes sat at Orange County airport.

                  ... except that this one also wears cargo doors (attachment is at Palm Springs 1981). But Kendall's PBYs were no cargo.
                  Nevertheless, I worry out the horn-balance rudder which was common on Kendall's fleet.
                  The tail on the 'Mantz picture' is to high to be balanced.

                  http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=8022

                  ......???
                  J-Chris.

                  De : David Legg <pby5@...>
                  À : PBY@yahoogroups.com
                  Envoyé le : Jeudi 1 Décembre 2011 19h49

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011

                    Hi J-Christophe.

                    I may say you have some “Hawkeye’s” I haven’t observed this with the blisters, but it is obvious.

                    “Well Done”

                    So it’s still a mystery!

                    Kind regards and have a nice weekend.

                    Erik