Re: [PBY] New member: Chris Johnson

  • Ragnar J. Ragnarsson
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
      Chris,

      Your Great Uncle was flying an U.S. Army Air Force Canadian Vickers built OA-10A [the USAAF type designation for the PBY-5A Catalina amphibian],  c/n CV 388, s/n 44-33908, of the 4th Emergency Rescue Squadron's B-Flight based at South Field, Iwo Jima. I presume you know the details of his death, but following is a short narrative of this mishap for the benefit of other group members who might be interested or able to provide you with information your looking for.

      On 29May45 "Dumbo 1" [the aircraft's mission code name], 1/Lt. Royal A. Stratton, made an open sea landing and picked up nine survivors from a ditched B-29, 17 miles bearing 135° from Tori Shima (30:30N, 140:30E). On takeoff in heavy swells the plane was engulfed in water and its port propeller and reduction gear casing broke off, cutting through the cockpit and fatally injuring the pilot, 1/Lt. Royal A. Stratton [not uncommon with the amphibian version of the Catalina]. The crew and survivors were picked up by a USS submarine Tigrone that sank the plane with gunfire.

      I don't have a picture of #44-33908, but I've attached hereto a picture of its brethren, #44-33906 "Sea Wolf", also of the 4th ERS. As a matter of fact this plane was that of B-Flight's C.O. and is taken shortly before the squadron was shipped overseas. The aircraft is white overall. The only Cat I know of in that color scheme is one located in the U.K. and in the markings of #44-33915. Group member David Legg can tell you all about that.

      I've also attached a picture of B-Flight's officers prior to being shipped overseas. The Flight's C.O., Capt. Winfred S. Goodman, is far left kneeling. He and his crew were lost on the transpac flight from California to Hawaii. Can you tell us which one your Great Uncle is?

      Ragnar

      From: ragsie@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:46:30 +0000

      Chris,

      Was your Great Uncle's name Royal A. Stratton, by chance?

      Ragnar
      From: HKuil@Hotmail. com
      Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:22:50 -0700
      Subject: [PBY] New member: Chris Johnson

      Hello members.

      Chris Johnson, new member of the PBY e-mail group wrote the following message:

      " I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a film about my great Uncle
      who was a WWII rescue pilot and flew a PBY out of Iwo Jima"

      Chris Johnson, please reply to this e-mail and tell us more......

      Greetings, Heijo.

      Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.
    • Allan Hanna
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
        Ragnar:

        Also a nice shot of the drop tanks that were adapted from the PV-1.

        Allan

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
          Ragnar, Chris and Group,

          I have five images of 44-33908 taken from the submarine during the resuce of the crew and B-29 survivors.  I will be out of town until Friday then will post images.  BTW,  this airplane, like many others in the SWPA recieved a coat of blue paint on it's upper surfaces in theatre.

          Mark

          To: PBY@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009

            Chris - further to the message below, and as suggested by Ragnar, I can direct you to the Catalina Society website where you will find photos of our airworthy Catalina based at Duxford in Cambridgeshire in England .  Like your Great Uncle’s aircraft, it too was originally built by Canadian Vickers in Cartierville in Quebec but it was used by the Royal Canadian Air Force and not the USAAF.  You will see from the photos however that it is now painted as a USAAF OA-10A and the reasons for this and the background to the individual aircraft (44-33915) will be found in the link pasted below…..

            http://www.catalina.org.uk/history-of-44-33915

            David Legg:

            Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society

            AB 08152

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
              Mark,

              The Accident Report doesn't include any photos, so I'll be interested in seeing the ones you have.

              Ragnar

              To: PBY@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
                Yes, the photos would be nice to see.  Sounds similar to the accident that took Jacques Cousteau's son.

                Bob Bergstrom

                To: PBY@yahoogroups. com

                From: HKuil@Hotmail. com
                Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:22:50 -0700

                Hello members.

                Chris Johnson, new member of the PBY e-mail group wrote the following message:

                " I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a film about my great Uncle
                who was a WWII rescue pilot and flew a PBY out of Iwo Jima"

                Chris Johnson, please reply to this e-mail and tell us more......

                Greetings, Heijo.

                Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.

              • Christopher Johnson
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Ragnar,

                  These two photos are just wonderful.  Thank you SOOO much.  And I also appreciate the detailed information you sent along with the images.  Just great.

                  Yes -- my Great Uncle is on the far left standing.

                  I would love any information about the Cat in the U.K. with the same paint scheme... so to David or anyone else who may have info on that, please let me know, if you would.

                  Thank you again Ragnar... these first couple days as part of the group have been rewarding and delightful.

                  And thank you again, Heijo, for including me.  I love learning about these pieces of the puzzle that make up my (and many others) family history.

                  Chris

                  To: PBY@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
                    Thank you, Mark.  I will look forward to seeing those images.

                    Here is a shot of my Great Uncle's plane from the Time Life book... I had thought that the plane looked much darker than the white pictured before it was sent over seas... but was unaware that they were repainted.

                    To: pby@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mark457@...
                    Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:22:30 -0700

                    To: PBY@yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
                      David,

                      Thank you for that... obviously disregard my earlier message (to Ragnar) about obtaining info about this plane.  I'm going through these messages chronologically.

                      I really appreciate your forwarding that info on to me.  I am NOW wondering if one of these planes exists with the paint scheme found in the theater with the blue covering the upper areas of the craft.

                      On a side note, the preservation and restoration of these beautiful planes is such a wonderful thing.  I'm so glad they are cherished by so many.

                      Thank you again.

                      To: PBY@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
                        Chris,

                        Do you have the Accident Report covering the loss of your Great Ungle and his aircraft? It's only some four pages, so if you don't I can scan and e-mail it to you.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
                          Ragnar,

                          I do not have the accident report.  I would love that... thanks. Very nice of you to offer to do scan and send it.

                          Chris

                          To: PBY@yahoogroups.com
                          From: ragsie@...
                          Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:33:53 +0000

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
                            See if you can get his logbooks and squadron history. Others will
                            tell you how to access the National Archives.

                            Tory Sullivan
                            Irvine, CA

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
                              Tory,

                              I will do just that...  this is all very new to me.  I hadn't thought of that route.

                              Chris

                              To: PBY@yahoogroups.com
                              From: tmsullivan@...
                              Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:19:43 -0400

                              Yahoo! News
                              Odd News
                              You won't believe
                              it, but it's true
                              Yahoo! Groups
                              Small Business Group
                              Improve your business
                              by community exchange
                              Weight Loss Group
                              on Yahoo! Groups
                              Get support and
                              make friends online.
                              .

                            • Heijo Kuil
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
                                Hello Chris and members.

                                Chris, you could try:

                                Naval Historical Center
                                Naval Aviation History Branch
                                805 Kidder Breese SE
                                Washington Navy Yard
                                Washington, D.C. 20374-506

                                Greetings, Heijo.

                                To: pby@yahoogroups.com
                                From: christopherjohnsoniv@...
                                Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:45:22 -0700

                                To: PBY@yahoogroups. com
                                From: tmsullivan@gmail. com
                                Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:19:43 -0400

                                Yahoo! News
                                Odd News
                                You won't believe
                                it, but it's true
                                Yahoo! Groups
                                Small Business Group
                                Improve your business
                                by community exchange
                                Weight Loss Group
                                on Yahoo! Groups
                                Get support and
                                make friends online.
                                .

                              • Christopher Johnson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
                                  Thank you, Heijo.

                                  I will try that, indeed.

                                  Chris

                                  To: pby@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: HKuil@...
                                  Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:23:00 -0700

                                  To: pby@yahoogroups. com
                                  From: christopherjohnsoni v@hotmail. com
                                  Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:45:22 -0700

                                  To: PBY@yahoogroups. com
                                  From: tmsullivan@gmail. com
                                  Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:19:43 -0400

                                  Yahoo! News
                                  Odd News
                                  You won't believe
                                  it, but it's true
                                  Yahoo! Groups
                                  Small Business Group
                                  Improve your business
                                  by community exchange
                                  Weight Loss Group
                                  on Yahoo! Groups
                                  Get support and
                                  make friends online.
                                  .

                                • Ragnar J. Ragnarsson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
                                    That would be a waste of time, Chris. All USAAF records are held by AFHRA [Air Force Historical Research Agency, Maxwell AFB, AL], not the NHC. They do have the 4th ERS' historical records on microfilm and those are available to the public at a reasonable charge ($30 last time I ordered a couple of years back). You will find contact information on AFHRA's website at http://www.afhra.af.mil/. The number of the microfilm reel you want is AO923 [document details here: http://airforcehistoryindex.org/data/000/067/271.xml]

                                    Ragnar

                                    From: HKuil@...
                                    Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:23:00 -0700

                                    To: pby@yahoogroups. com
                                    From: christopherjohnsoni v@hotmail. com
                                    Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:45:22 -0700

                                    To: PBY@yahoogroups. com
                                    From: tmsullivan@gmail. com
                                    Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:19:43 -0400

                                    Yahoo! News
                                    Odd News
                                    You won't believe
                                    it, but it's true
                                    Yahoo! Groups
                                    Small Business Group
                                    Improve your business
                                    by community exchange
                                    Weight Loss Group
                                    on Yahoo! Groups
                                    Get support and
                                    make friends online.
                                    .

                                  • Tory Sullivan
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
                                      Thanks, guys.  I knew you'd have great research ideas.

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      From: HKuil@...
                                      Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:23:00 -0700

                                      To: pby@yahoogroups. com
                                      From: christopherjohnsoni v@hotmail. com
                                      Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:45:22 -0700

                                      To: PBY@yahoogroups. com
                                      From: tmsullivan@gmail. com
                                      Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:19:43 -0400

                                      Yahoo! News
                                      Odd News
                                      You won't believe
                                      it, but it's true
                                      Yahoo! Groups
                                      Small Business Group
                                      Improve your business
                                      by community exchange
                                      Weight Loss Group
                                      on Yahoo! Groups
                                      Get support and
                                      make friends online.
                                      .

                                    • Christopher Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
                                        Thank you, Ragnar -- regarding the micro-film information and such.  I will go that route.

                                        Chris

                                        To: PBY@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: ragsie@...
                                        Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:07:50 +0000

                                        From: HKuil@Hotmail. com
                                        Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:23:00 -0700

                                        To: pby@yahoogroups. com
                                        From: christopherjohnsoni v@hotmail. com
                                        Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:45:22 -0700

                                        To: PBY@yahoogroups. com
                                        From: tmsullivan@gmail. com
                                        Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:19:43 -0400

                                        Yahoo! News
                                        Odd News
                                        You won't believe
                                        it, but it's true
                                        Yahoo! Groups
                                        Small Business Group
                                        Improve your business
                                        by community exchange
                                        Weight Loss Group
                                        on Yahoo! Groups
                                        Get support and
                                        make friends online.
                                        .

                                      • Mark Aldrich
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                                          Hello Group, sorry for the delay in sending these images but Hotmail was down for a couple of days.  An interesting aspect of these photos is that the quarter front image has been retouched to remove the APS-4 radar.  It is plainly visible in the other photos. That image may have been released to the press and radar was censored out, that is a guess but it seems plausible.   Mark

                                          To: PBY@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                                            Mark.  Thank you so much for sharing those.  They are amazing photographs. -- Wow.

                                            Chris

                                            To: pby@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: mark457@...
                                            Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:28:27 -0700

                                            To: PBY@yahoogroups. com

                                            From: HKuil@Hotmail. com
                                            Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:22:50 -0700

                                            Hello members.

                                            Chris Johnson, new member of the PBY e-mail group wrote the following message:

                                            " I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a film about my great Uncle
                                            who was a WWII rescue pilot and flew a PBY out of Iwo Jima"

                                            Chris Johnson, please reply to this e-mail and tell us more......

                                            Greetings, Heijo.

                                            Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.

                                            Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.
                                          • jean-christophe polet
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                                              Thank you Mark for sharing these pictures.
                                              J-Christophe.

                                              Hello Group, sorry for the delay in sending these images but Hotmail was down for a couple of days.  An interesting aspect of these photos is that the quarter front image has been retouched to remove the APS-4 radar.  It is plainly visible in the other photos. That image may have been released to the press and radar was censored out, that is a guess but it seems plausible.   Mark

                                            • Erik Thingbo
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 6, 2009

                                                Hi Mark.

                                                Also thanks for the photos, here from Denmark.

                                                All the best,

                                                Erik