Re: [PBY] Short Snorter signed by Admiral Halsey - Treasure Island to Honolulu

  • AL LEBARON
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      This may be no help but PanAm had used Treasure Island (site of the SF World's Fair) as their SF base while the Navy used Alameda.  When stationed at TI in the 1960s I remember being shown the seaplane ramps which the PanAm planes had used.  Also, although Halsey had been a vice-admiral at the time of Pearl Harbor, he didn't have the staff that he later acquired (or constructed) when he commanded Third Fleet.  [Admiral Spruance commanded the Fifth Fleet - mostly the same ships but the fleet designation changed depending which one was in command.  But that hadn't been worked out by 1943.