Re: [PBY] Two PBY to Australia Aug 1941

  • Wynnum Graham
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
      Allan,

      There is another interesting file at   37/501/77     .
      Read this file from page 1 onwards.

      The 0'Bierne/Moorer PBY flight of Aug41 picked up a senior RAAF officer Wing Commander Garing, who returned with them to Hawaii, and then gave assistance  for a B-17 flight of nine planes to Australia and then on to P. I.

      I see that Garing says Moorer was in 22-P-1.

      A page is attached.

      Cheers, Wynnum.
      From: Wynnum Graham <wbg@...>
      To: PBY@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 6:28 PM

      Allan,
      Start at page 25 and then page 24 etc etc. P24 attached is Aug41.
      Many pages are similar - I suggest read the lot first, then print what you need.

      Cheers, Wynnum
      From: Wynnum Graham <wbg@bigpond. com>
      Subject: [PBY] Two PBY to Australia Oct 1941
      To: PBY@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 1:36 AM

      Allan LeB.

      I've attached a page from a file in the Aust. Archives, concerning your brother's trip to Australia in 1941.
      There are some similar pages at file    AG17/1/1

      When this comes up, click "search now as a guest"
      At the next page, click "display"
      At the fourth page, click "view digital copy"
      Next you see page 1 of the file - - at top, delete  "   1  " and enter "  25  " then work backwards.

      Click enlarge helps with small or faint print.

      Cheers, Wynnum.
    • Allan LeBaron
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
        Wynnum:

        I think that is wrong.  Moorer was, or about to become, Engineer Officer of VP-22, 3rd in line to command of the squadron.  The "1" a/c (prewar, at least) was always the squadron commander's, with a command slash, and I can't imagine an officer in command switching off with a more junior officer at that time - maybe later, but pre-war they were pretty formal in this regard.  I wasn't there, but even later in the war I saw how seniority worked in the Navy and officers even a couple of numbers senior were treated with great deference.  For example, on Friday afternoons there were always a lot of Navy ships entering port at San Diego.  Each commanding officer had a signal number, which denoted his relative seniority - low was better.  And unless a ship was late or the more senior officer so permitted, ships entered harbor 'by the numbers.'

        We white hats paid attention to signal numbers, too, although they were really none of our business.
        The lower our CO's number, the sooner we were going to be moored and get to go on liberty.
        I learned what 'opportunist' meant as a white hat and won't ever forget it!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
            George:

            Girl at the Malte Shoppe, indeed!  White hats are supposed to pay attention!  Do you still think it was just a coincidence that theNavy tried to maroon you in the Alaskan Outback?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
              It wasn't the Navy that marooned us, Allan - it was the SHXXXY weather and an ILL-EQUIPPED twenty one yr old submarine. (no fathometer, no radar) We were really enjoying ourselves on WILD, WONDERFULL, uninhabited AMCHITKA. We could have stayed another week, or so, with rationing. But your mates in PATWING 4, I suppose, may have been a bit jealous while we were lolling around on the beach, collecting sea shells, enjoying 24 hr days of light duty and no watches. When we were finally located, four PBYs roared in, upsetting the serenity of our habitat, and yanked us back to the reality of DEPTH CHARGING and SILENT RUNNING. Oh, well - nothing was forever during that time. - GeoSS