carl dagnese - Admiralties Is.

  • Bill Kline
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2000
      I find the latest copy concerning , among others, the island of Los Negros, adjacent
      to Manus. My memory of the harbor at Manus was awaking from an afternoon
      nap aboard the troop ship USAT Willard A. Holbrook and found the largest
      collection of ships that this young 18 year old had ever seen, the 58th Task
      force. At least that what I was told. This was some time in October 44. We
      went to the receiving station at Manus, then to Los Negros and AROU# 1.
      Witnessed the smoke, heard the explosions when the ammunition ship
      Mt. Hood blew up, story goes that only two of the crew surveyed, the mail
      detail which was ashore. Spent about 8 - 9 months there then to AROU # 4
      on Guam. Had my extra ration of beer when the war with Japan ended. On
      Los Negros I remember an A-20 crashing on take off, ended up in a Army tent
      tent area on a Sunday morning wiping out a  number of Army troops. So
      many memories, some good, some bad, a lot of them brought back
      reading the email contributions of the PBY egroups. Back to the states
      to Whidbey Island and a PBY squadron and a tour in the Aleutians,
      Like the beer commercial, 'It just don't get any better then this'.
      Hang in there troops.
      Bill Kline  -- retired AOMC bkline@...