[PBY] Re: "Birds of a feather"

  • LBlackwolf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1 12:08 PM
      I recently called the Naval Historical Office in Washington DC and spoke to
      the lady that's run it for over 20 years. She said you cannot order the
      microfiche for a squadron for a certain time period you have to get it from
      the first day it starts to the day that squadron is disbanded. As the whole
      95 pages on microfiche was only $5.00 I got it. I was really excited since
      this was the Governments official "declassified" files on all action,
      rescues, bombing, etc. everything. Boy my dad and I were disappointed it
      started with Dec. 1944
      at the very end of when he was in and the war.......I called to ask what
      happened to WWII and she said if it is not in the records then as far as the
      government is concerned they didn't exist during WWII. How do you like
      that. After all those men did for us? I was so mad. Thanks for the
      correspondance. That book is elusive but I've known others who've found it.
      I keep hoping for amazon auctions.......thanks Leslie
      LBlackwolf@...

      Anybody can post a message, send it to pby@egroups.com
      PBY= Patrol Bomber from Consolidate
    • douglas tidy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 3:57 PM
        For some of those guys and gals flying mahogany bombers (desks) in
        Washington, and in the British Air Ministry, the war did not exist up to
        1944 (or after for that matter). If it was moving, salute it ; if it was
        motionless, paint it, was their axiom. SNAFU reached even unto the
        records it seems.

        http://members.tripod.com/~dptidy/74sqna.html
        http://members.tripod.com/~dptidy/index-5.html

      • TWMcCarthy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1 4:43 PM
          In a message dated 6/1/1999 1:10:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          LBlackwolf@... writes:

          << I recently called the Naval Historical Office in Washington DC and spoke
          the lady that's run it for over 20 years. She said you cannot order the
          microfiche for a squadron for a certain time period you have to get it from
          the first day it starts to the day that squadron is disbanded. As the whole
          95 pages on microfiche was only $5.00 I got it. I was really excited since
          this was the Governments official "declassified" files on all action,
          rescues, bombing, etc. everything. Boy my dad and I were disappointed >>

          Is it possible that the Squadron Number changed? I was in a PB4Y1 squadron
          and some of them changed from VB to VPB. It may be that the missing part is
          under another number?

          God bless America
          Tom McCarthy