Re: [PBY] PBY operated from the Gippsland Lakes??

  • Wynnum Graham
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
      Bob, Heijo

      Bob, your PBY refers to Paynesville Boat Yard, shown in the attached photo.  It is the large building toward centre bottom. In front of the building are the two short jetties sans boats  for the Travel Lift. Above PBY is the Yacht Club.

      Heijo, there were no formal Catalina facilities or use by WWII Catalinas in the Gippsland Lakes or Mallacoota for that matter.
      Nor was there any occassional or informal use to my knowledge.

      As already mentioned, there was a RAAF base at Bairnsdale 1942/1943;  and at nearby Sale during the war and since.
      Supporting these RAAF bases, the was a RAAF Marine Section at Paynsville which provided crash/rescue boat and armoured target tow-boat services. Could this be the basis of some of the oldtimers memories?

      Cheers, Wynnum.
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        That makes sense.  The mystery of the Gippsland Lakes continue...

        Ragnar or Lou, do you have any thoughts on this one?

        Bob Bergstrom

        Heijo Kuil wrote:

[...]

      • Commander L. B. Dorny, USN (ret.)
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
          Nothing to add here. Patrol Wing TEN records in my possession go through 1942, and Gippsland Lake does not appear. From April 1942 on ward with the arrival of VP 21 the Wing's operations changed substantially from the first months of the war. Lou