Re: [PBY] Botwood PBY

  • allan_lebaron@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 89 , Feb 1, 2008

      Since the senior mech was the Plane Captain and the NAP (early on) the third pilot, was there ever a case where the NAP was also the PC?  It would seem unlikely except possibly if you had four pilots aboard, and it would seem likely to screw up the command relationships but it might have happened.  I believe there were numerous cases where the NAP, although third pilot, had more flying time than the PPC and co-pilot together.  And, as Bill Maris notes, sometimes the NAP was the better pilot.

      In many cases the NAP would have been a plane captain earlier in his career.  Would that cause problems for a PC later?  I don't know of any such situations - just curious.

      -------------- Original message from "Larry Katz" <papakatz@...>: --------------

      Mark,talk to any old timer Mech sitting up in the tower(especially a Chief or first class Mech)and you would have seen why we needed him  as much as the 2nd pilot,(unless when we needed two on the yoke to pull us up in a choppy sea). Our Mech in the tower was the PPCs other hand........ .......Especiall y in the early war years.Larry

      Message 89 of 89 , Feb 4, 2008
        See, guys, we had some officers who were gentlemen.  Then there were the others.
        -------------- Original message from "Bill Maris" <billmaris@...>: --------------

        GM DIDDY
        THOSE ROOF RATS WERE OF THE HIGHEST CALIBER, FROM S2c TO CDR AND WOULD LAY ANY AVAILABLE FEMALE AVAILABLE AT HER CONVIENCE IN ANY OUT OF THE WAY LOCKER THEY COULD GET IN TO. THEY ALWAYS CAME AWAY SMILING. VERY CAPABLE IN ALL ASPECTS.
        I KNOW THAT OUR PBY's IN VPB/SR AT CC WERE OFTEN ENTERTAINMENT CENTERS FROM TIME TO TIME ON THE BACK LINE PRETENDING THEY WERE WIPING DOWN THE BIRD. ONE ON WATCH AND THE REST TOOK A NUMBER. HAD A HAPPY CREW ALWAYS.
        SATB GB BILL