[PBY] Re: New Book: "The Flying Boats of Bermuda"

  • CPomeroy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2000
      Dear Fellow PBY (and other flying boat/seaplane/floatplane) Enthusiasts,

      I am posting this notice on the egroup site to tell you about my new book,
      which was published just last week: "The Flying Boats of Bermuda".

      The book - which runs to some 90,000 words, 260 pages and contains over 220
      photographs and diagrams (most never before seen in print) - charts the
      history of marine aviation in Bermuda from the first flight in 1919, by a
      Burgess N-9H 'Jenny' from the American SS Elinor, through to the very last
      light seaplane movement in 1987 - and has major chapters on the USN
      (Darrell's Island and the NOB) and the RAF activities in Bermuda where, of
      course, PBY Catalinas were very much to the fore: the USN squadrons in flying
      ASW and SAR patrols off Bermuda, and the RAF involved in the ferrying of
      Lend-Lease aircraft (mainly across the North Atlantic).

      The annexes include a listing of all known Bermuda-Associated flying boat and
      seaplane accidents, large portions of the war diaries of RAF Bermuda
      (Darrell's Island and main island HQ) and of RAF Ferry Command/No 45 Group,
      plus a host of other material.

      Other than the PBY, military aircraft making appearances include the PBM
      Mariner, PB2Y Coronado, OSU2 Kingfisher and P5M Marlin; the civil aviation
      years section include the Empire Class flying boats, as well as the Boeing
      314, Sikorsky S-42 and the Vought-Sikorsky VS-44.

      USN squadrons referred to include VPs 15, 45, 49, 51, 52, 63, 74, 105, 201,
      207 and 215, and VSs 32 and 35; 201, 231 and 524 squadrons, and AFTERO, Ferry
      Command and 45 Ferry Group fly the RAF flag in the book.

      If you would like to order a copy of the book, you can do so by contacting:

      1. For US $ orders: Print Link Ltd, PO Box HM 937, Hamilton HMDX, Bermuda.
      The cost is $27.50, plus $5 air-lifted mail - please make your check payable
      to Print Link Ltd.

      2. For sterling orders: C A Pomeroy, Pallington Lakes, Pallington,
      Dorchester, DT2 8QU, England.
      The cost is £17.25, plus £5 for airmail or £2 for surface mail. Please make
      your cheque payable to C A Pomeroy.

      My RAF service was on Shackleton and Nimrod (ASW) aircraft; however, I do
      hope that those of you who flew and worked on aircraft such as the PBY will
      feel that I have done you credit in my offering.

      Warmest regards,

      Colin Pomeroy.