File - 005 PBY related Books D to O

  • PBY@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Oct 1, 2006
      PBY related books, part 3 of 4:

      Latest update December 19, 2005;
      Added:
      - "Lucky Alex"
      - "Nor the years contemn"

      Dark Sky, Deep water.
      First hand reflections of the anti-U-Boat War in WWII.
      By: Norman Franks.
      Published 1997, (1999 in softback) by Grub Street.
      ISBN: 1-902304-37-3
      Softback 218

      Description and installation of meteorological equipment
      aboard Navy PBY-6A, 46683 (WHOI)
      By Andrew F Bunker

      Dicing with Death -
      An Airmans Account of His Training and Operations Against Japan.
      By: Arthur Sandell.
      Published by Raaf Base Fairbairn ACT Australia: Aerospace Centre.
      Published 2001
      ISBN:0642265593
      125 pages, b/w photos.
      This book was the winner of the 2000 heritage award,
      author served with an raaf catalina squadron against japan.

      Flying Boat -
      The history of 262 squadron RAF and the Origin of 35 Squadron SAAF.
      By: Ivan Spring, forword by Wing Commander ESS "GAR" Nash DFC, AFC.
      ISBN: 0-9583977-2-4
      Published: 1995, by Spring Air CC, PO box 92070, Norwood, Johannesburg 2117
      170 pages, b/w photos.

      The Flying Boats of Bermuda.
      By:L Colin A. Pomeroy
      ISBN: 0-9698332-4-5

      Flying Cats;
      The Catalina Aircraft in World War II.
      By: Andrew Hendrie
      ISBN: 1-85310-028-5
      Airlive Publishing, 7 St. John's Hill, Shrewsburey, England.
      Published: 1988
      240 pages

      Forgotten Warriors of the Aleutian Campaign
      By: Jim Rearden.

      Frigate Bird.
      By: P. G. Taylor
      ISBN: none
      Angus and Robertson Ltd, 105 Great Russell street,
      London, WC1, England.
      Published: 1953
      243 pages

      Flying with the Air-Sea Rescue Service.
      By L. E. Theiss
      Publisher: Wilde (USA) 1946
      292pages + 4 pages of photographs.
      In a typical post-war narrative style, the author provides memorable
      accounts of a number of rescues carried out by the US Air Sea Rescue Service.
      Includes many interesting tales of real-life operations carried out using PBY
      Catalinas, helicopters and rescue launches.

      Forgotten Squadron, The.
      Memories of WWII in Alaska
      By Ray Bergh.

      Galloping Ghosts of the Brazilian Coast
      By: Alan C. Carey
      On U.S. Naval air operations in the South Atlantic during WW.II,
      has a pretty good coverage of both VP-83 and VB-107 with photographs.
      It's available from www.universe.com.
      Contributed by Ragnar.

      HARD ROCK TO BLUE SKIES.
      By: Stan Mahoney
      Recounts pre WWII duty in PB2Ys, VP-11, and VP-14 and then later duty
      when Captain DeLorenzo was his PPC.
      This book is available from the author, Mr. Stan Mahoney,
      1801 Grove Road, El Cajon, CA 92020, USA.
      delivered anywhere in the US for $20.

      In the Hands of Fate;
      The Story of PATWING-10 8-December-1941 - 11-May-1942.
      By: Dwight R. Messimer
      ISBN: 0-87021-293-1
      Published:

      I Took The Sky Road.
      By Comdr. Norman M. Miller USN as told to Hugh B.Cave
      ISBN:
      Dodd,Mead & Co. New York
      Published: 1945
      212 pages
      Primarily about PB4Y's (Navy Liberator)---but it is a hellova book.
      Miller was called a "One man Task Force" and was even recommended
      for the Medal of Honor. Unconfirmed reports indicate that he
      got smashed the night before Pres Roosevelt was to award it to
      him and he missed the "Appointment"!!
      Ergo----many medals for Bus Miller but no Medal of Honor.

      Lake Boga at War;
      Inside Story of Secret RAAF Inland Flying Boat Unit - WWII.
      By: Brett Freeman
      ISBN: 0-646-24705-0
      Catalina Publication, PO box 170, Swan Hill,
      Victoria 3585, Australia.
      http://www.raafmuseum.com.au/shop/index.htm
      Published: 1995
      296 pages

      LETAJUSCHAJA LODKA CONSOLIDATED 'CATALINA'
      By: Morskoje Oruze.
      Russian minigraph illustrated with drawings and b/w photos.
      Text in Russian.
      36 pages

      Lonely Vigil (about Coastwatchers)
      By: Lord.
      Mentions Clemens and his men hauling a Cat out of the water onto the coast
      of Guadalcanal to hide it from the enemy, I don't think it was one of the
      amphibious types either!!! Also a sad story about an Ozzy Black Cat
      supplying some coastwatchers on Bougainville (Mason or Read) at night,
      on their last pass they crashed into a mountain. A few survived and were
      evacuated via sub later. This is also recounted in Minty's book. When things
      settled down later after the allied invasion one of the coastwatcher
      (Robbie Robinson & Co?) returned to the site and buried the pilots who were
      killed instantly by the impact. An example of the respect these courageous men
      had for each other. Brave men indeed.
      Jacob Vouza, one of Clemen's scouts (the one that was bayoneted and left for
      dead but made it back to Henderson to warn of an immanent attack).
      Description by Wayne Bawden.

      Lucky Alex: the career of Group Captain A.M. Jardine AFC,
      CD, seaman and airman.
      By: Castle, C. 2001.
      Trafford Publishing,
      Suite 6E, 2333 Government St., Victoria, B.C. V8T 4P4, Canada.

      Navigator In The South Seas
      By: BRETT HILDER
      Adelaide Seal Books 1978.
      Autobiography of Australian sea captain with Burns Philp in the Pacific
      includes memoirs of RAAF flying Catalina's in WW2
      Illustrated by b/w line drawings.
      232 pages.

      Nederlandse militaire luchtvaart III, Consolidated PBY-5/A Catalina.
      By: Nico Geldhof
      ISBN: none (Dutch)
      Published: 1989
      30 pages

      Nor the years contemn: air war on the Australian front 1941-1942.
      Rorrison, J. 1992.
      Palomar Publications. James Ferguson Pty. Ltd., Hamilton Central Queensland.

      Chronicles of a Nervous Navigator.
      By: John A. Iverach
      ISBN: 1-55056-178-2
      Published:

      No Tumult, No Shouting;
      The Story of the PBY.
      By: Lois and Don Thorburn
      ISBN: none
      Henry Holt and Company, 257 Fourth Ave, New York 10, USA.
      Published: 1945
      149 PAGES

      ON HELL'S PERIMETERS: PACIFIC TALES OF PBY PATROL SQUADRON 23 IN WWII
      By Don Klotz
      ISBN:171686908
      Eakin Press
      Published: 2002
      272 Pages
    • PBY@yahoogroups.com
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 1, 2010
        PBY related books, part 3 of 4:

        Latest update March 23rd, 2010;
        Added: "Never a Dull Moment "

        Dark Sky, Deep water.
        First hand reflections of the anti-U-Boat War in WWII.
        By: Norman Franks.
        Published 1997, (1999 in softback) by Grub Street.
        ISBN: 1-902304-37-3
        Softback 218

        Description and installation of meteorological equipment
        aboard Navy PBY-6A, 46683 (WHOI)
        By Andrew F Bunker

        Dicing with Death -
        An Airmans Account of His Training and Operations Against Japan.
        By: Arthur Sandell.
        Published by Raaf Base Fairbairn ACT Australia: Aerospace Centre.
        Published 2001
        ISBN:0642265593
        125 pages, b/w photos.
        This book was the winner of the 2000 heritage award,
        author served with an raaf catalina squadron against japan.

        Fabulous Catalina, the.
        Compiled by Bob Cleworth.
        Published by Bob Cleworth, 7 Wandella Avenue, Roseville 2069, Australia.
        Published October 2006
        Printed by Macquarie University Lighthouse Press, NSW 2109, Australia.
        ISBN - 1-74138-204-1 and 978-1-74138-204-4
        275 pages.

        Flight Manual for Itermediate Patrol Seaplanes (PBY)
        By: U. S. Naval Air Station, Pensacola, FL, 1944. Stapled.
        Over 9�" - 12" tall. 114 pages.
        Complete instructions on operating the Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina patrol
        bomber. This training manual was prepared as a guide to both students and
        instructors for use in the intermediate seaplane patrol course taught at the
        Pensacola Naval Air Station during World War II. It is a supplement to the PBY
        Pilot's Handbook and Erection and Maintenance Manuals provided with each PBY
        aircraft. The chapters include the following: 1) The Patrol Plane covering
        Starting, Engine and Propeller Operation and Safety Precautions; 2) Patrol
        Plane Seamanship including Launching, Wind Determination, Taxiiing, Beaching
        and Beach Approaches, Ramping and Ramp Approaches, Mooring, and Anchoring;
        3) The Patrol Plane in the Air including Take-offs, Climbing, Cruising and
        Spiraling, Landings and Precision Landings, Water Loops, and Emergencies both
        Practice and Real; 4) Patrol Plane Communications including Operating the Voice
        Radio in the PBY, Voice Radio Procedure, Interphone Procedure, and Operating
        the CW Radio in the PBY.

        Flying Boat -
        The history of 262 squadron RAF and the Origin of 35 Squadron SAAF.
        By: Ivan Spring, forword by Wing Commander ESS "GAR" Nash DFC, AFC.
        ISBN: 0-9583977-2-4
        Published: 1995, by Spring Air CC, PO box 92070, Norwood, Johannesburg 2117
        170 pages, b/w photos.

        The Flying Boats of Bermuda.
        By:L Colin A. Pomeroy
        ISBN: 0-9698332-4-5
        Colin writes:
        Dear Fellow PBY (and other flying boat/seaplane/floatplane) Enthusiasts,
        I am posting this notice on the egroup site to tell you about my new book,
        which was published just last week: "The Flying Boats of Bermuda".
        The book - which runs to some 90,000 words, 260 pages and contains over 220
        photographs and diagrams (most never before seen in print) - charts the
        history of marine aviation in Bermuda from the first flight in 1919, by a
        Burgess N-9H 'Jenny' from the American SS Elinor, through to the very last
        light seaplane movement in 1987 - and has major chapters on the USN
        (Darrell's Island and the NOB) and the RAF activities in Bermuda where, of
        course, PBY Catalinas were very much to the fore: the USN squadrons in flying
        ASW and SAR patrols off Bermuda, and the RAF involved in the ferrying of
        Lend-Lease aircraft (mainly across the North Atlantic).

        The annexes include a listing of all known Bermuda-Associated flying boat and
        seaplane accidents, large portions of the war diaries of RAF Bermuda
        (Darrell's Island and main island HQ) and of RAF Ferry Command/No 45 Group,
        plus a host of other material.

        Other than the PBY, military aircraft making appearances include the PBM
        Mariner, PB2Y Coronado, OSU2 Kingfisher and P5M Marlin; the civil aviation
        years section include the Empire Class flying boats, as well as the Boeing
        314, Sikorsky S-42 and the Vought-Sikorsky VS-44.

        USN squadrons referred to include VPs 15, 45, 49, 51, 52, 63, 74, 105, 201,
        207 and 215, and VSs 32 and 35; 201, 231 and 524 squadrons, and AFTERO, Ferry
        Command and 45 Ferry Group fly the RAF flag in the book.

        If you would like to order a copy of the book, you can do so by contacting:

        1. For US $ orders: Print Link Ltd, PO Box HM 937, Hamilton HMDX, Bermuda.
        The cost is $27.50, plus $5 air-lifted mail - please make your check payable
        to Print Link Ltd.

        2. For sterling orders: C A Pomeroy, Pallington Lakes, Pallington,
        Dorchester, DT2 8QU, England.
        The cost is �17.25, plus �5 for airmail or �2 for surface mail. Please make
        your cheque payable to C A Pomeroy.

        My RAF service was on Shackleton and Nimrod (ASW) aircraft; however, I do
        hope that those of you who flew and worked on aircraft such as the PBY will
        feel that I have done you credit in my offering.
        Warmest regards, Colin Pomeroy.

        Flying Cats;
        The Catalina Aircraft in World War II.
        By: Andrew Hendrie
        ISBN: 1-85310-028-5
        Airlive Publishing, 7 St. John's Hill, Shrewsburey, England.
        Published: 1988
        240 pages

        "Forgotten War Forgiven Guilt"
        By: David A. Witts
        Publisher: Yucca Tree (Las Cruces) 2003.
        Hardcover: 262 pages
        Publisher: Barbed Wire Publishing Services, Inc. (July 2003)
        Language: English
        ISBN-10: 1881325717
        ISBN-13: 978-1881325710
        Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.1 x 0.8 inches
        Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds
        Photos, map
        13th Air Force as written by PBY pilot, incl section on Japanese war crimes
        and allied POW's:
        "It seems the 13th Air Force's missions and accomplishments have never been
        officially recorded despite its amazing triumphs, including preventing the
        Japanese from overtaking Guadalcanal through intense air warfare.
        Without the help of official records, this important book is part memoir,
        part history and part meditation on history. Witts, who practiced law in Dallas
        following his tour with the 13th Air Force from 1943-46, recalls how he set
        about writing "Forgotten War, Forgiven Guilt":
        "It all started so simply. Five years ago, I donated to the Hoover Institution
        at Stanford University my personal WWII collection of maps, photographs, flying
        equipment, Japanese battle flags and paraphernalia collected during 50-mission
        tour with the 13th Air Force in the South Pacific. The Hoover archivist asked
        if I could provide a history to accompany the items. To my disbelief, no
        history of the 13th Air Force and its remarkable accomplishments existed."
        As Witts pursued official, written documentation, he discovered that the few
        accounts he tracked were completely inaccurate. To make matters worse, he was
        denied any sound explanations for the omissions from World War II history.
        "Forgotten War, Forgiven Guilt" is Witts' personal endeavor to tell the
        complete, accurate history of the 13th Air Force. His vivid, dramatic tale
        includes how this relatively small band of fighter planes fought the then-
        greatest naval airpower in the world to a standstill -- thereby halting
        Japanese expansion in the Pacific and ensuring an eventual allied victory.
        In addition to the numerous air battles and rescue missions conducted by the
        13th Air Foce, Witts also describes the atrocities of the Japanese that were
        more bestial, of longer duration and more widespread than those of Hitler's
        Germany.
        "Unlike Germany, which apologized, prosecuted its criiminals and compensated
        its victims, Japan remains in smug and resolute denial," says Witts. "Forgotten
        War, Forgiven Guilt" is my attempt to rectify the historical omission of the
        13th Air Force, as well as question why Japan has never been held accountable
        for its atrocities."
        According to Milton Friedman, economist and Nobel Laureate, Hoover Institution,
        Stanford University, this book is a highly personal and passionate commentary
        on the 13th Air Force by someone who was there. "Opinionated and shocking and
        also highly readable," says Friedman, who encouraged Witts to pen his memoirs
        as a historical record of the Pacific's forgotten fighters.

        The Forgotten Squadron - Memories of WWII in Alaska
        By: Ray Bergh
        Publisher: Privately Printed, Havre MT
        Publication Date: 1999
        Binding: Trade Paperback
        Illustrator: Photographs

[...]

        The Guadalcanal Campaign by Lundstrom.
        If you want to read some exctiting prose about PBYs mixing it up with enemy
        aircraft in the midst of those carrier slug fests in 1942, get a copy of
        Lundstrom's The Guadalcanal Campaign. His focus is on the USN fighters
        operations and tactics, but at Eastern Solomons and Santa Cruz the battles
        involved numbers of PBYs doing their thing, and in spades, and he's very open
        about indicating that the search sectors were laid out by the command using
        COMINT to estimate when and where the Japanese fleet would make their move.
        Contributed by Lou Dorny.

        HARD ROCK TO BLUE SKIES.
        By: Stan Mahoney
        Recounts pre WWII duty in PB2Ys, VP-11, and VP-14 and then later duty
        when Captain DeLorenzo was his PPC.
        This book is available from the author, Mr. Stan Mahoney,
        1801 Grove Road, El Cajon, CA 92020, USA.
        delivered anywhere in the US for $20.

        Icarus Updated; A boy and his dream.
        By Howard Spreeman.
        "I have described how it has always been my dream to fly even as a young boy,
        and Charles A. Lindbergh was my hero for his flight over the Atlantic even when
        I was just 8 years old. Many, many years later I would duplicate his daring
        flight, but mine was not so daring because I had four engines and thousands of
        gallons of gasoline as well as much improved navigation facilities.
        Although there is always danger in flying, there is also much enjoyment and
        satisfaction as well, and this story has tried to point all the many aspects of
        my experiences. My flying began as a crewmember in 1940 and continued until
        June 1960, when I retired. I look back fondly of those days and the many close
        friends I have made over the years, and I will never forget that time in my
        life. This is my story of pursuing my dream of flying for over 30 years and the
        escapades and incidents arising during that time. I accumulated more than 9,000
        hours in the air while living this dream and have qualified in more than 20
        different types of aircraft, including single and multi engine land craft as
        well as multi engined seaplanes. Naturally, any incidents occurred during this
        time and more than a few will remain in my memory until I die. I hope my story
        will be more than entertaining, but also educational. This tale will take you
        over much of the world during peace time as well as during World War II".
        Pages: 204.
        Howerd Spreeman was a RM/ARM in VP-23 at Pearl, also when they moved to Kaneohe
        and became VP-11. He was at Kaneohe 07Dec41.
        Howard Spreeman mentions Len Kizzire, Wally Banisky, Jack Parish.
        Library of Congress Control 2005903235;
        ISBN: 1413492584
        ISBN 978-1-4134-9259-O for hardcover
        ISBN 978-1-4134-9258-3 soft cover.
        Published: 2006.
        Ordering detail - Xlibris Corporation; 1-888-795-4274
        www.Xlibris.com ; Orders@...
        http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9781413492583
        Info by Wynnum Graham

[...]

        My Wings at Sunset: Living a Dream
        by Robert E. A. Lee
        Paperback: 190 pages
        Publisher: iUniverse, Inc. (October 30, 2007)
        Language: English
        ISBN-10: 0595443737
        ISBN-13: 978-0595443734
        Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 6 x 0.6 inches

        These are the emotional, intellectual, and spiritual remembrances of one man�s
        full and colorful life as a World War II Navy pilot, a musician, a broadcaster,
        a filmmaker and producer, a communication executive, and a writer and poet.
        In addition to reflecting on his many pioneering professional accomplishments,
        Robert E. A. Lee opens his soul to reveal his private world as son, brother,
        husband, father of six, and grandfather.

        Gleaning from more than eighty years of adventures spanning oceans and
        continents, Lee shares how his wings were first strengthened by those close to
        him in his native Minnesota, spread as a pilot in the Navy, and used to soar in
        his dealings with family, church, and career. With both pride and humility,
        Lee recounts riveting moments from his time in the war zone in the Pacific;
        his years as a Christian layman, supervising news, broadcasting, and publishing
        units for U.S. Lutherans; and his career in the trenches of television, feature
        films, radio, and print media. Lee also delivers keen insights into the
        evolution of mass communications during the twentieth century.

        Rich in the wisdom of a life well lived, My Wings at Sunset is the absorbing
        memoir of a man steeped in faith, filled with gratitude, and grounded in the
        foundation of family and country.

        Navigator In The South Seas
        By: BRETT HILDER
        Adelaide Seal Books 1978.
        ISBN: 9780936128443
        Autobiography of Australian sea captain with Burns Philp in the Pacific
        includes memoirs of RAAF flying Catalina's in WW2
        Illustrated by b/w line drawings.
        232 pages.
        of experiences of Brett Hilder, especially at sea and in the air.
        As a youngster in 1928 he went to sea with the Australian shipping line Burns
        Philip which traded mainly in Pacific and South East Asian waters.
        He also joined the Royal Australian Navy's reserve. He gained his second mates
        papers at the height of the Depression but by a stroke of luck obtained a
        third mate's post on one of the BP ships, trading mostly in the South Pacific,
        1936 he went to the RAN for nine months to qualify as a Leiutenant in the sea
        going reserve, In the late 30s he gained his master's certificate and rejoined
        BP and a short tile later was closely involved in evacuating people from the
        enormous Rabaul eruption. Next he passed his Extra Master's certificate and
        gained his first commant, a trial run on a large deep sea trawler to NZ and
        back. He next commanded one of BP's ships, based in Rabaul. He was there when
        WWII began so it was back to the RAN, but only briefly as he became an
        instructor on navigation and naval co-operation with the Royal Australian Air
        Force --- the navy was not pleased. He learned to fly and applied to go on
        operations with the RAAF's Catalina units. This upset the RAAF who would
        rather he continued with navigation training. When he went operational he had
        made the rank of Wing Commander and on Catalina night-flying operations was
        mining Japanese-held harbours. War ended and it was back to BP as a chief
        officer. In Singapore he found "pilfering, looting, graft and blackmarketing
        were rampant." Much of his subsequent service was in the South Pacific where
        he continued to have a life far from routine --- a few strandings, and near
        misses, salvage work, interesting encounters on islands fought over by the
        Japanes and Allies and explorations ashore. His story is an engrossing read,
        not dimmed by the passage of time.

        Nederlandse militaire luchtvaart III, Consolidated PBY-5/A Catalina.
        By: Nico Geldhof
        ISBN: none (Dutch)
        Published: 1989
        30 pages

        "Never a Dull Moment : From Hobart to Lake Macquarie: the Story of Lin Hurt"
        By: Beth Adey.
        Book Description: Tec Print, Squadron Leader Lin Hurt was a Catalina pilot
        during the second world war. He was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross for
        devotion to duty. Hurt and his fellow 'cat' pilots were commissioned to drop
        mines along the China Coast line. Painted black to aid in camouflage.
        Once while on a mission loaded with 1,500 gallons of fuel and 2,000 lbs of
        bombs the cat caught fire.
        Soft Cover.

        "None More Courageous" by Stewart Holbrook
        It has a lot of PBY stories from early WWII - typical wartime book with many
        details censored out but it does have the story of Bannowsky, the NAP from
        VP-22 who landed a PBY with wounded aboard - both PPC and lst pilot had bailed
        out.

        Nor the years contemn: air war on the Australian front 1941-1942.
        Rorrison, J. 1992.
        Palomar Publications. James Ferguson Pty. Ltd., Hamilton Central Queensland.

        North Atlantic Cat ( Catalina )
        By: Mcvicar, Don
        Binding: Hardcover
        ISBN: 0906393256