Re: [PBY] Houston

  • Commander L. B. Dorny, USN (ret.)
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Eric! What a marvelous pic of the old HOUSTON.  At Darwin... she sailed from Darwin for the last time on 18 February, bound for Java. Her after turret was inoperable after the 4 February bombing, and she had only two Curtiss SOCs remaining, one here mounted on the catapult amidships. Where did you uncover this prize?  I'm putting this in the queue for publication! Let me know when you can, please.  Cheers, Lou
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
        Lou -  Have had that pic tucked away for sometime. I found it on the net  somewhere/somehow . Will get back asap.
        Eric

        Commander L. B. Dorny, USN (ret.) wrote:
        Eric! What a marvelous pic of the old HOUSTON.  At Darwin... she sailed from Darwin for the last time on 18 February, bound for Java. Her after turret was inoperable after the 4 February bombing, and she had only two Curtiss SOCs remaining, one here mounted on the catapult amidships. Where did you uncover this prize?  I'm putting this in the queue for publication! Let me know when you can, please.  Cheers, Lou

      • Eric McKay
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
          Lou -- Site ref. for the Houston pic is
          http://www.usshouston.org/ship.htm
          The same page should also show a pic of Langley with a PBY moored
          astern. Not a lot of quality in this one , but it will take a little
          enlargement.
          Ref. HMAS Yarra. As of April 2004 there were 2 survivors still with us
          out of the 13 that survived the engagement. One of them , a Leading
          Seaman by the name of Geoff. Bromilow is interviewed by "The Age " , a
          Melbourne newspaper.
          Check page:
          http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/22/1082616262661.html
          A current Ausie sub . HMAS Rankin , is named after the skipper of the
          Yarra..

          Regards , Eric

        • Commander L. B. Dorny, USN (ret.)
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
            Thanks, Eric.  That's just dandy.

            The three pics at Darwin are fabulous. There is, perhaps you were not aware, almost nothing in USN files about the LANGLEY's time at Darwin. I have reconstructed a good deal of it, in general terms, using other sources, but pics like that one are choice beyond imagining. Thanks.

            The ordeal of the YARRA is one of the tragedies of the Indies Campaign. I'm pleased to have you article on the survivor, and to know that HMAS RANKIN remembers her captain, and therefore her crew as well. Somewhere in my Dutch language files I have some dope on the submarine that picked up the YARRA men. When I find it again, I'll pass it on.

            Thanks, Lou

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                Eric from Lou... Almost certainly it was HrMs K XIV. No other boat could have been in the area. She had been on patrol in the Java Sea, signaled CZM (Helfrich's office) on the beach for permission to enter Tandjong Priok (Batavia/Djakarta) for fuel and work on her one diesel, was turned away in response and ordered to Ceylon. K XIV passed through Soenda Straat probably on the fourth or fifth, with course for Pigi Bay, on the west Sumatran coast for fuel, thence to Ceylon. From these movements, the idea that she surfaced in the area of YARRA's loss, S and E of Soenda Straat, is the purest kind of good fortune. She arrived in Ceylon 13 March.
[...]

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • George B Winter
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                  What about the USS Blackhawk? I saw the Black hawk at PH around July
                  1942.

                  George Winter