Cat 10 at Broome

  • NPO22
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      Silvano Jung from Lou Dorny

      First of all, what a marvelous find!  Nicole Bay at Broome fueling a Catalina!  Incredible.

      From what I know - or think I know, and some of the Australian fellows can confirm this, I think - Nicole Bay was the only tender at Broome through this period, and was either owned by or at least contracted to QANTAS to fuel their planes.

      There were four Dutch Catalinas destroyed there on 3 March: Y-59, Y-60, Y-67, & Y-70.  There was evidently a fifth that left that morning for Perth before the attack.  That detail I'll have to check again in the Dutch records I have.

      The were two RAF birds there - FV-N and FV-W of No. 205 Squadron.

      None of these are known to have carried any marking that would fit the photo.

      From other pictures of Dutch Catalinas, some of them had their rudder painted orange with a thick black outline.  The one in the picture does appear to have a triangular marking on the hull just aft of the waist blister, which makes me think it might be Dutch.  But the marking is very faint, and nothing I know how to do with the photos could sharpen that up.

      The two USN Catalinas their on 3 March were both PBY-4s, however, #7 was BuNo 1243 with blister waist enclosures.  Nevertheless, 1243 had a typical PBY-4 rudder, and the rudder in the photo is not a -4 but definitely a -5.

      How solid do you consider the date the photo was taken?

      Here's a curve ball that is worth chasing down.  One of the VP 22 Catalinas that flew out from Pearl in January was 22-P-2, renumbered #10 in Patrol Wing TEN.  This was LTjg Buzz LeFever's plane that spotted the Jap carrier on patrol from Darwin on 19 Feb.  Buzz and crew hopped down to meet PRESTON at Derby on 21 Feb, then to Broome, where - according to my reconstruction of PBY movements - she remained at anchor until she flew back to Darwin on the 26th to pick up Tom Moorer's crew, which had been rescued.  Number 10 flew back to Broome on the 27th and LT Deam at Broome had orders to send her on to Java, and she departed that day.

      Now, this PATWING10 PBY-5 could fit the bill and  be the plane in the photo IF...
      a - the date of the photo is unsure and may have been a few days earlier than 3 March, AND...
      b - if we can find someone who can confirm that the USN Cats carried their plane numbers on their rudder like that.

      I can think of a couple of people who might be able to say yea or nay to this idea:

      Chuck Beggarly, he was AMM1c back then and plane captain on another of VP 22's planes.  He was on the PRESTON during this period and would have seen the 10 Boat on a regular basis.  He's alive and well and active on this circuit in times past.

      Art DeMott, then RM1c, was a radioman on the 7 Boat at Broome during the 3 March raid.  Ho, too, might be able to recall seeing the 10 Boat, and whether it was marked so.

      Joe Brant, then Ensign and a second pilot in VP 22 was on the PRESTON at Darwin and Broome, and in fact was Buzz LeFever's second pilot for the Broome to Darwin and return flight and then for the Broome to Java flight as well.

      Charlie Peters, also Ensign and a VP 22 PP2C was also aboard PRESTON at this point and may have noticed such markings.

      I am forwarding your photo, Silvano, and this signal to them for review.  I don't have Joe Brant's e-mail, but he is up on the PBY circuit periodically, I believe.

      Thanks for your splendid work out there.  I hope this matter pans out, however to turns out.  Very interesting photo.  Can you tell more about it?

      Cheers, Lou

    • Larry Katz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        Lou,everytime I see something regarding the four Dutch P.Boats, I think
        back on flying a patrol in Y-72.I wish I could remember some of the
        instrumentation....I try to think back but I see no numbers on the
        tails.Cannot remember when VP22 left Pearl in early 42,went to see some
        of my buddies off on those hops, but for the love of me,I dont see any
        numbers.I can remember some early numbers below the pilots window.Will
        see if I can find Baggerly's plane,I have a picture of hisP.Boat with a
        caption under it, will try to find..........Larry