Re: Social note from Perth and Freemantle for ex-PW10 sailors

  • Allan LeBaron
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
      The U.S. Navy is making an increasing number of port calls to Freemantle
      because it is a popular port with the crews and relatively close to Indian
      Ocean operations. They have recently complete a wholesale swap there of a
      destroyer's crew vice bringing the destroyer back to the U.S. While there
      are some protestors, most of the population welcomes the visits. According
      to a recent story in Navy Times quoting a tourist official there, U.S.
      sailors spend three times as much per day as the average civilian tourist.
      Hey, white hats have always been willing to spend when they are having fun!

      Allan LeBaron
      Honi soit qui mal y pense

    • Larry Katz
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
        Allan first of all I passed the Jarhead notice to the Buffalo, most
        likely he will put it in his outgoing news letter.
        Regarding Freemantle, do you know that the entire time I was stationed
        in Perth, never made the short trip to Freemantle.At that time it was
        loaded (at times)with submariners and we airdales did not want any part
        of them as they were always looking for fights. As I recall very few of
        them ever came to Perth,when they did , they always got us in
        trouble,it seemed they always looked for us to start something. I can
        recall the big riot they had when they came down town and started with
        the Aussies. They had a big write up regarding that event.Larry

        Allan LeBaron wrote:

        > The U.S. Navy is making an increasing number of port calls to
        > Freemantle
        > because it is a popular port with the crews and relatively close to
        > Indian
        > Ocean operations. They have recently complete a wholesale swap there
        > of a
        > destroyer's crew vice bringing the destroyer back to the U.S. While
        > there
        > are some protestors, most of the population welcomes the visits.
        > According
        > to a recent story in Navy Times quoting a tourist official there, U.S.
        >
        > sailors spend three times as much per day as the average civilian
        > tourist.
        > Hey, white hats have always been willing to spend when they are having
        > fun!
        >
        > Allan LeBaron
        > Honi soit qui mal y pense

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Eric McKay
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
          Larry, Allan, group,

          Fair dinkum you blokes , - No wonder there was so much trouble . You guys
          still can't spell FREMANTLE.
          I believe you are correct about not many of the US Submariners coming up to
          Perth City.
          My folks did a lot of entertaining during the war and I never met a US
          Submariner , some RN , but mostly Dutch.
          We often had crew from ASR7 Chanticleer staying with us. She was in and
          around FREMANTLE for a long time.She left to return to the US 18 Feb 1945.

          Eric [Perth]

          > Allan first of all I passed the Jarhead notice to the Buffalo, most
          > likely he will put it in his outgoing news letter.
          > Regarding Freemantle, do you know that the entire time I was stationed
          > in Perth, never made the short trip to Freemantle.At that time it was
          > loaded (at times)with submariners and we airdales did not want any part
          > of them as they were always looking for fights. As I recall very few of
          > them ever came to Perth,when they did , they always got us in
          > trouble,it seemed they always looked for us to start something. I can
          > recall the big riot they had when they came down town and started with
          > the Aussies. They had a big write up regarding that event.Larry
          >
          > Allan LeBaron wrote:
          > >
          > > The U.S. Navy is making an increasing number of port calls to
          > > Freemantle
          > > because it is a popular port with the crews and relatively close to
          > > Indian
          > > Ocean operations. They have recently complete a wholesale swap there
          > > of a
          > > destroyer's crew vice bringing the destroyer back to the U.S. While
          > > there
          > > are some protestors, most of the population welcomes the visits.
          > > According
          > > to a recent story in Navy Times quoting a tourist official there, U.S.
          > >
          > > sailors spend three times as much per day as the average civilian
          > > tourist.
          > > Hey, white hats have always been willing to spend when they are having
          > > fun!
          > >
          > > Allan LeBaron
        • Larry Katz
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
            Eric, sorry about the double E in Fremantle,us PBYers were the good
            guys, we were gentlemen,I guess the sub mariners were holed up to long
            in their long underwater ships and had to let off steam. I feel sorry
            for the rest of us who never visited your terrific city,they have no
            memories of what a wonderful town you live in. We PBYers will never
            forget Perth and her families. Larry

          • bobby1452000 <bergstrm@pacifier.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
              Erik, one of my life goals is to visit the Perth, Fremantle area of
              your fair country. You seem to be worlds away from the rest of
              Australia when looking on the map. I found some webcams that show
              your excellent beaches with the deep blue water. Is it best to start
              with Perth and then just drive to the other cities in your area or
              fly between them? What are the attractions besides the beaches.
              Finally when is the best time of year to visit?

              On a side note, does anyone know where I can research the destroyers
              used in the Aleutians, December 1942? All I know of the ship is that
              it was brand new and was built in the Albina? shipworks, Portland
              Oregon. This was the ship that attempted to salvage the PBY in the
              photos that I posted to the VPNAVY VP-42 mishap website. Thanks Bob
              Bergstrom

            • NPO22
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
                Bob from Lou...

                U. S. Destroyer ops in the Aleutians... in you public library look at
                Roscoe, T., U. S. Destroyer Operations. He's got a section on the Aleutian
                Islands if I recall.