Center of the Storm

  • bobby1452000
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hello group, I just received a copy of Jeff Dickrell's new
      book "Center of the Storm" and am very impressed with it. It is
      mostly concerned with the summer of 1942 and details the actions of
      Patrol Wing Four. The best thing about the book is that it is mostly
      first hand accounts of those who participated in the patrols and
      bombing missions in that hellish weather (remember that the summer is
      the worst time to fly up there due to the fog that developes due to
      the Japanese current's influence-of course anytime you have to fly up
      there is a bad time.) The photos are also a pleasent surprise due to
      the many included that I have never seen before. The photos of the
      Mavis's in Kiska harbor are interesting. I will try to locate a copy
      of the captured Japanese PBY Kiska attack movies that are referenced
      in the book. These films show PBY's bombing the harbor and also
      Davis's plane being blown out of the sky. All in all a good book too
      have on this "forgotten" war. The book can be ordered at;
      www.aleutians.org and is $12.95 plus shipping.

      Bob Bergstrom