Re: Flight Officer David L. Smith?

  • cdagnese
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      Wynnum & David:

      This might be a good contact for info about the 3rd ERS ---

      Emergency Rescue Squadron reunion

      World War II members of the Air Force 3rd Emergency Rescue Squadron
      are planning a reunion in Dothan Sept. 17-19. Anyone who survived the
      war due to efforts of the squadron in the South Pacific in 1944-45 is
      asked to join in the annual celebration.

      Ultimately the squadron won five battle stars and numerous air
      medals. Since the war, the squadron has held several reunions across
      the country. They hope that this reunion will locate many people the
      squadron saved.

      Thursday through Saturday, the group will meet at the Comfort Inn in
      Dothan. There are a variety of activities planned including golf, a
      tour of Fort Rucker, and a visit to the Army Aviation Museum. The
      farewell dinner will be held September 19 at the Dothan Ramada Inn.

      If anyone knows someone who was rescued during WW II by the 3rd
      Emergency Rescue Squadron, please contact Selden X. Bailey at 334-792-
      5037 or e-mail Seldenx(at)aol.com.

      Carl D'Agnese

      --- In PBY@y..., "Wynnum Graham" <wbg@b...> wrote:
      > Heijo, Carl, Group,
      > Since Flight Officer Smith doesn't appear in the 2nd ERS rosters, I
      wonder
      > if he belonged to 3rd ERS (which is recorded as operating from
      Biak)......
      > or perhaps an even earlier outfit of possibly four Catalina PBY-
      5A/OA-10
      > operating under V Fighter Command.
      >
      > Did the surviving planes of this earlier outfit meld into 3rd ERS?
      >
      > Concerning the Catalinas which worked under V Fighter Command
      (Fifth Air
      > Force) in the early days, before 2nd and 3rd ERS reached the area,
      little is
      > known by me, but here is one record I have come across.
      >
      > Reference - Book, "Protect and Avenge - The 49th F Gp in WWII",
      Ferguson
      > and Pascalis, page 202 - [This plane was 43-3262, ex BuNo 08080] On
      16Oct43,
      > the 49th Ops Exec Capt Lidstrom was missing; The 49th hack PBY
      transport
      > was overdue at Oro Bay. The forty-niners' rescue flight team had
      just come
      > back at twilight after the search for Lidstrom when the pilot
      reported they
      > could not reach the harbour in the rainstorm. A year later to the
      month,
      > local tribesmen reported the wreckage not far from Pongani Village.
      The
      > remains of F/Os Cecil McElhiney and Dick Smith, radio officer 2nd
      Lt Bob
      > Mona, T/Sgt Hal Macha, S/Sgt Jack Holt, and Sgts Charles Dawson and
      Glen
      > Walterwere recovered for burial. [Clearly the Dick Smith mentioned
      here is
      > not the David L Smith after whom David J Smith is enquiring.]
      >
      > Now for those interested in PBY numbers, and units to which they
      belonged, I
      > have another quandry re "owner unit".
      >
      > 43-3263 ex Bu 08081 was flying in Australia before 2nd or 3rd ERS
      arrived in
      > the theatre - eg - out of & return to Essendon (land airfield at
      Melbourne)
      > pilot Lt Lang, 07Mar44. Then the same plane has a complete overhaul
      at Bowen
      > Queensland during July 1944, and later, in Nov44, is recorded with
      3rd ERS
      > working off USS ORCA at Leyte in the Philippines.
      >
      > Another from that bunch of planes I have come across is 43-3261 ex
      Bu
      > 08079 - - this was at RAAF 1 FBRD at Lake Boga on 05Feb44, but no
      other
      > details are recorded.
      >
      > Hoping someone can expand more on the history of these planes and
      their
      > units.
      >
      > Wynnum.

    • Ragnar J Ragnarsson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        I checked several 3rd ERS rosters as well as "A Walk Through the
        Valley - A History of the 3rd ERS 1944-1946" and his name is not
        listed there, nor are the other names David mentioned. I also checked
        a list of the first USAAF Catalina pilots that were trained by the US
        Navy at Pensacola. These were the ones that manned the first two
        Catalina rescue units, the V Fighter Command and XII Fighter Command
        Catalina Rescue Detachments, the predecessors of the Emergency Rescue
        Squadrons. Not listed among them either.

        I suspect that "1562" might be the designation of an ATC [Air
        Transport Command] Base Unit, but towards the end of the war and in
        the immediate postwar years, ATC Base Units frequently had a Catalina
        or two attached for Search & Rescue. I don't know what the ATC Base
        Unit number for Biak was, but believe it would have been in the 15**
        series.

        Ragnar

        > Since Flight Officer Smith doesn't appear in the 2nd ERS rosters, I
        wonder
        > if he belonged to 3rd ERS (which is recorded as operating from
        Biak)......
        > or perhaps an even earlier outfit of possibly four Catalina
        PBY-5A/OA-10
        > operating under V Fighter Command.
        >
        > Did the surviving planes of this earlier outfit meld into 3rd ERS?
        >
        > Concerning the Catalinas which worked under V Fighter Command (Fifth
        Air
        > Force) in the early days, before 2nd and 3rd ERS reached the area,
        little is
        > known by me, but here is one record I have come across.
        >
        > Reference - Book, "Protect and Avenge - The 49th F Gp in WWII",
        Ferguson
        > and Pascalis, page 202 - [This plane was 43-3262, ex BuNo 08080] On
        16Oct43,
        > the 49th Ops Exec Capt Lidstrom was missing; The 49th hack PBY
        transport
        > was overdue at Oro Bay. The forty-niners' rescue flight team had
        just come
        > back at twilight after the search for Lidstrom when the pilot
        reported they
        > could not reach the harbour in the rainstorm. A year later to the
        month,
        > local tribesmen reported the wreckage not far from Pongani Village.
        The
        > remains of F/Os Cecil McElhiney and Dick Smith, radio officer 2nd Lt
        Bob
        > Mona, T/Sgt Hal Macha, S/Sgt Jack Holt, and Sgts Charles Dawson and
        Glen
        > Walterwere recovered for burial. [Clearly the Dick Smith mentioned
        here is
        > not the David L Smith after whom David J Smith is enquiring.]
        >
        > Now for those interested in PBY numbers, and units to which they
        belonged, I
        > have another quandry re "owner unit".
        >
        > 43-3263 ex Bu 08081 was flying in Australia before 2nd or 3rd ERS
        arrived in
        > the theatre - eg - out of & return to Essendon (land airfield at
        Melbourne)
        > pilot Lt Lang, 07Mar44. Then the same plane has a complete overhaul
        at Bowen
        > Queensland during July 1944, and later, in Nov44, is recorded with
        3rd ERS
        > working off USS ORCA at Leyte in the Philippines.
        >
        > Another from that bunch of planes I have come across is 43-3261 ex
        Bu
        > 08079 - - this was at RAAF 1 FBRD at Lake Boga on 05Feb44, but no
        other
        > details are recorded.
        >
        > Hoping someone can expand more on the history of these planes and
        their
        > units.
        >
        > Wynnum.

        The

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • zebra22@iwon.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
          My Father, Flight Officer David L. Smith, was in the U. S. Army Air Corp, not in the Navy. I just wanted to repeat that to be sure everyone knows. He was stationed on Biak but I am not sure of the time frame.

          Thanks,

          David J. Smith

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > Sell a Home for Top $
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/KmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Home Selling? Try Us!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/KmiolB/TM

          Changed your e-mail? Keep your contacts! Use this free e-mail change of address service from Return Path. Register now!
        • ragsie@centrum.is
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
            David,

            Those units I mentioned were all Army Air Force, not Navy. I suspect your father might have been assigned to #1562 Base Unit. To find out whether that was Biak or not, I suggest you visit the website of AFHRA [Air Force Historical Rsearch Agency]and post a query to the e-mail address provided. Ask them where #1562 AAF Base Unit was located. If it turns out to be Biak, they probably have a history on the unit you can research by either visiting Maxwell AFB, or obatin a microfilm copy. The AAF Base Unit histories I've seen are quite comprehensive.

            Ragnar