42852Re: [PBY] ARE WE STILL ALL ALIVE? [1 Attachment]

  • Peter Van Warmerdam
    Apr 19, 2014
    To Tom and Louis and of course all other interested parties,

    Yes indeed my model is of a Dutch submarine that at its commission was the most advanced submarine in the world.  She and her sister were in a class by themselves, the O19 class, with my father’s boat being the first the be launched and commissioned in 1938.  These two, the O19 and O20 were minelaying subs in addition to attack subs with 4 bow tubes, 2 stern tubes and a dual deck launch tube system.  She also carried several spare torpedoes between the pressure hull and the deck.  She had also two 40 mm Vickers AA guns in retractable tubes.
    My father was placed in charge of the build by the Royal Navy (Netherlands) as the quality Control officer and made life quite hard for the dockyard due to unacceptable workmanship.
    The O 20 was lost with all men but the O19 survived the war with all the crew.
    My father was transferred to a cruiser at the outbreak of war with japan and was killed in action during the battle of the Java Sea.  There were a few PBY’s involved as well, too few and too late to make a difference.
    My thanks to him and all who fought against our common enemy.

    Cheers to all,

    Piet, the Flying Dutchman.

    On Apr 17, 2014, at 11:49 PM, Louis Dorny <louis41@...> wrote:

    Alive? Yes, all systems appear ti be in order and functioning normally, though age is taking its toll.

    I'm pleased, George, to have you still in the group and operational. There's a lot of seawater under the bridge since the S-27.

    Pete, your father's boat? Yes, a Dutch submarine... I can tell by the hull form. What number was your dad's boat? I'll guess O 16; your splendid model looks bigger than one of the K-series boats. Please tell us more about that.

    I was in San Diego last fall and visited the Air and Space Museum at Balboa Park. Their PBY-5 is impressive, and caused me to review in my mind the many pilots and crew of PBYs who didn't return from their patrols and attack assignments. The list is a lot longer than it should have been. Just three years ago I had the chance to interview one of the Patrol Wing TEN pilots, then Lieutenant (junior grade) Arthur 'Art' Jacobson. After the war he retired as Captain, then pursued a successful real estate career in the Seattle area. He was quite willing, but in the event, even with my prompts from the Wing's records, his memory would not be recalled... I think, like some vets, he managed to tuck those experiences away behind a password on his harddrive and just go on with his life.

  • Show all 6 messages in this topic