Join us Saturday! Teach-in and rally for a death penalty moratorium

  • Andy Hoover
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2006
      PLEASE FORWARD

      Dear friends,

      This Saturday, October 7, concerned citizens from throughout Pennsylvania will gather in Harrisburg to rally for a death penalty moratorium.  Why?  Because Pennsylvania's system of capital punishment is broken.  Innocent people have walked off of our state's death row, and there is little doubt that there are more innocent people among the 223 death row prisoners today.  As noted by the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court, the death penalty in our Commonwealth is heavily weighted against the poor and minorities.  90% of those sentenced to death here were too poor to afford their own attorney.  Nearly 70% of those on death row are people of color, giving our row the look of apartheid-era South Africa.

      Simply put, the death penalty is yet another inefficient, expensive, broken government program, and it needs to be stopped.

      On Saturday, we will rally on the state capitol steps (Third and State Streets) at 1pm to send the clear message that we will not stand idly by while this continues.  Our eastern neighbor, New Jersey, recently implemented a moratorium on executions for.  Pennsylvania needs to do the same.

      Before the rally, we will meet nearby at Grace United Methodist Church, 216 State Street, at 10:45am (sign-in begins at 10:15) for "The Path to Justice: Teach-in for a halt to executions."  There we will discuss and learn the important practical skills for working toward a death penalty moratorium, including lobbying your legislator and organizing a moratorium resolution in your town.

      To RSVP for the teach-in, please contact us at info@... or 717-919-1177.  Walk-ups are welcome, but we prefer RSVPs.  Pennsylvania Abolitionists United Against the Death Penalty and Central Pennsylvanians to Abolish the Death Penalty are proud co-sponsors of this morning of skill-building, and we are thrilled to join with Amnesty International USA, the sponsor of the rally.

      We look forward to seeing you on Saturday.  Moratorium now!

      peace,
      Andy Hoover
      Co-Chair, PAUADP
      President, CPADP

      Saturday, October 7
      Time out on killing in Pennsylvania! Rally for a halt to executions
      1pm, State Capitol steps, Third and State Streets, Harrisburg

      The Path to Justice: Teach-in for a halt to executions
      10:15-10:45am sign-in, 10:45 start, Grace United Methodist Church, 216 State Street, Harrisburg
      RSVP: info@..., 717-919-1177