Fall events with ACLU-PA (and friends)

  • Andrew Hoover
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2006

      Stand up.  Get active.  Defend freedom.

      Compassionate Assistance for Rape Emergencies (CARE) Act Press Conference and Rally

      Wednesday, September 13, 11:30am

      Capitol Rotunda, Harrisburg

      Speakers include:  Delilah Rumberg, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape; Darlene Bender, mother of a 20 year-old rape victim who was recently denied emergency contraception at Good Samaritan Hospital in Lebanon, PA; Senators Connie Williams and Joe Conti (co-sponsors of the SB 990); emergency room physician, Dr. Ralph Riviello; and members of the clergy.  You can also visit www.pacare.org for more information or email us at duvall@....

      The Rally to Defend the Constitution

      National Constitution Day, Sunday, September 17, 2:30pm

      Independence Mall, 5th and Market Streets, Philadelphia

      Keynote speaker: John Dean, former White House counsel under President Nixon and author of Worse than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush

      At his inauguration, President Bush swore to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States .”  Instead of defending the Constitution, he and his administration have repeatedly tried to subvert it.

      Help us send the message to those in power that we won’t tolerate these attacks on our Constitution!

      ACLU-PA will provide transportation from Harrisburg .  If interested, contact Andy Hoover at ahoover@... or 717-236-6827 x13.

      If your group would like be a co-sponsor, please contact us at info@... or 215-592-1513 x123.

      More information & updates at www.aclupa.org.

      Power to the People! Voting Rights

      Monday, September 25, 7pm

      YWCA of Greater Harrisburg , 1101 Market Street

      Featuring: Linda Thompson, Harrisburg City Council; Elizabeth Milner, The League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania; and a screening of The ACLU Freedom Files: Voting Rights (www.aclu.tv/voting)

      The right to vote is the most basic component of our functioning democracy.  Throughout the country's history, there have been those who suppressed that right, and, regrettably, such voter suppression continues in the 21st century in a new form.  Join us to learn more about this precious right and how we can protect it.

      Other events of note…

      Unity Rally for Hazleton

      Sunday, September 3, 1pm

      Memorial Park, Hazleton
      Since the passing of Hazleton 's anti-immigrant ordinance, the city's Latino community has found itself under assault.  Simply walking the street is to open oneself to taunts.  Long-time residents and citizens have been told to "go back to where they came from."  One community leader had literature from a white supremacist group placed under his office door.  The community needs our support.
      MORE INFO: Jackie Irizarry, jirizarry65@...

      Rally for a Death Penalty Moratorium

      Saturday, October 7, 1pm

      Capitol Steps ( Third Street ), Harrisburg

      Now is the time to stop any further executions in the State of Pennsylvania ! Bills were introduced in both the Senate and House of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, calling for a moratorium on the death penalty. These bills call for a two-year suspension of executions while the General Assembly conducts a study on issues relating to the death penalty. Join Amnesty International activists and concerned community members as we rally for a moratorium on executions in PA.

      MORE INFO: http://www.amnestyusa.org/events/mid-atlantic/10072006gotb-pa.html

      Teach-in to precede the rally: 10:30am-12pm, Learn important skills for lobbying your legislator and for winning a moratorium resolution in your town, faith group, or community organization.  Featuring Morgan Plant, lobbyist for Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence, and Sarah Craft, Field Organizer for Equal Justice USA .  Location: TBA, visit www.cpadp.org for updates.

      Andy Hoover

      Community Organizer

      American Civil Liberties Union of PA

      P.O. Box 11761

      Harrisburg, PA 17108

      717-236-6827 ext. 13

      ahoover@...

      Speak Freely! http://aclupa.blogspot.com

    • Elizabeth Kury
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
        Why do I get this message seven times? Beth Kury