32Death Penalty News Update: Exoneree suit to go forward, rally in Harrisburg, Unshaken Amish faith

  • Andy Hoover
    Oct 6, 2006
      1. Court: Former death row inmate freed by DNA can pursue lawsuit
      PHILADELPHIA A former death-row inmate exonerated by DNA after spending 22 years in prison can sue local officials for allegedly destroying evidence and ignoring his demands for DNA tests, a federal appeals court ruled.

      Nicholas Yarris, 45, became the first person freed from Pennsylvania's death row by DNA testing when he was released in January 2004. Yarris had first asked the tests 16 years earlier.

      2. Amnesty International to hold rally in capital
      Amnesty International Penn State wants students to "get on the bus."
      "Get on the bus to halt killing in Pennsylvania" is the name of the rally being held this weekend in Harrisburg by Amnesty International.
      The rally, which will take place at 1 p.m. Saturday, is being held in hopes of abolishing the death penalty in Pennsylvania.

      3. The power of a faith unshaken
      We live in a violent world - there's no getting around it. If we are fortunate enough not to see it in our personal lives, we see it in the ever present media (of which I am a part). And to a certain extent we've become desensitized to it. But then there comes an event that slaps us across the face.

      For me, that event was Monday's fatal shooting at an Amish school in Pennsylvania. Sadly, we've had a string of school shootings recently, including one in Wisconsin. But this one in particular resonated with me because I am a Mennonite.

      ----
      Central Pennsylvanians to Abolish the Death Penalty
      315 Peffer Street
      Harrisburg, PA 17102
      717-919-1177
      info@..., www.cpadp.org