24ACLU-PA Job Announcement: Development Director
- Sep 5, 2006
Feel free to forward this to those you know who might be interested.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania (ACLU-PA), a non-profit, non-partisan public interest organization, is dedicated to defending and enhancing personal freedoms protected by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights through litigation, legislative advocacy and community education. The ACLU-PA has 11 volunteer chapters, approximately 20,000 members and 17 employees and operates with a $1.7 million budget. ACLU-PA seeks applications for a full-time Development Director. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and supervises the Development Coordinator. The Associate Director in the western PA office reports to the Development Director on development projects and solicitor training. The Development Director is based in Philadelphia but is responsible for the ACLU-PA program across the state of Pennsylvania .
The Development Director, working closely with the Executive Director, the Board and lay leadership, will be responsible for planning, supervising and executing development programs to: 1) reach our annual and long-range development goals, and 2) develop strategies to support the growth and expansion of the organization. These programs include, but are not limited to:
· Build an overall vision, excitement, and momentum for increased giving that supports state organizational growth and contributes significantly to the national campaign.
· Develop annual work plan and fundraising calendar with long and short range goals
· Identify and strategize cultivation and outreach to prospective donors; develop message, case statement and outreach materials
· Supervise Board campaigns and direct solicitations and set up solicitations for the Executive Director
· Track, cultivate and sustain planned givers
· Work collaboratively with ACLU national office to cultivate and solicit planned gifts from members and donors.
· Maintain foundation grants calendar of submissions and reporting cycles
· Build portfolio of foundation/grant prospects and supervise the writing of grants
· Make appropriate initial contacts with foundations and grant sources
· Develop membership-building strategies, messages and materials.
· Work with the Community Organizing Team for implementation of strategies
· Be knowledgeable of National ACLU’s membership activities
Other Duties as Assigned (e.g. maintenance of the special events calendar and preparation of reports for the Board of Directors)
· Bachelor’s degree with at least five years experience in fundraising. CFRE accreditation desirable.
· Demonstrated success in major gift solicitation for an advocacy or community-based organization.
· Experience with multi-faceted campaign planning, implementation and management.
· Computer proficiency, including extensive list/donor database management experience
· Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working with donors, volunteers and senior staff.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience developing successful marketing materials.
· Superb organization skills; detail oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines
· Demonstrated ability to motivate, lead and collaborate with colleagues and volunteers in positive, team-oriented approach and a commitment to diversity.
· Firm commitment to the mission and principles of the ACLU of PA.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary is based on experience. Excellent benefits provided.
All applications are treated confidentially. Interested candidates should send a letter of application, resume, a short business writing sample and a description of a successful fundraising campaign effort to Search, ACLU of PA, P.O. Box 40008 , Philadelphia , PA 19106 or by email search@.... Accepting applications now through Sep 30, 2006 and will continue until position is filled. No calls please. ACLU of PA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is committed to developing a diverse pool of candidates. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered individuals are encouraged to apply.
The ACLU of Pennsylvania is comprised of two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania . Both the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania have the same overall mission, and share office space and employees.