Greece..

  • Teppo Rapo
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hello fellows!

      Some of you were looking for map of Aegean sea...
      I'm out for Cyclades as back-packer in 6 of September.
      3 nice week for island hopping! I was asking for maps
      when we was planning the trip and I found couple sea
      maps from Web... I loaded them to following address:
      http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/teppo.rapo/

      -teppo

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Teppo Rapo
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
        ...forgot to say that I did super fast calibration to them and seems
        to be that 2 of maps have bad stitching... see grids...
        -teppo

        --- Teppo Rapo <tepporapo@...> wrote:
        > Hello fellows!
        >
        > Some of you were looking for map of Aegean sea...
        > I'm out for Cyclades as back-packer in 6 of September.
        > 3 nice week for island hopping! I was asking for maps
        > when we was planning the trip and I found couple sea
        > maps from Web... I loaded them to following address:
        > http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/teppo.rapo/
        >
        > -teppo

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • woja53
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
          Thanks Teppo!

          I'm Hoping to do some sailing in the Agean in a couple of years time
          but probably nearer to split and the dalmation coast.
          But I'll keep these charts on file anyway.

          Roger Knight
          Adelaide, South Australia

          --- In OziUsers-L@y..., Teppo Rapo <tepporapo@y...> wrote:
          > ...forgot to say that I did super fast calibration to them and seems
          > to be that 2 of maps have bad stitching... see grids...
          > -teppo
          >
          > --- Teppo Rapo <tepporapo@y...> wrote:
          > > Hello fellows!
          > >
          > > Some of you were looking for map of Aegean sea...
          > > I'm out for Cyclades as back-packer in 6 of September.
          > > 3 nice week for island hopping! I was asking for maps
          > > when we was planning the trip and I found couple sea
          > > maps from Web... I loaded them to following address:
          > > http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/teppo.rapo/
          > >
          > > -teppo

          > http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Bill Bradshaw
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2002
            Well I know have the datums of the USGS maps set right, NAD27 Alaska,
            because my track files plot perfectly. I do not know if the problem is
            caused by the DEMs being WGS84 and the USGS being NAD27 Alaska or not.
            Des has graciously offered to take a look at a DEM and USGS map for me.

            Thanks,

            <Bill>

            Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
            N 53� 51.140' W 166� 30.228' (WGS 84)

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
              Teppo

              You forgot to calibrate one of your maps. No idea of location!
              http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/teppo.rapo/safeharbour.zip

              Neville
            • Teppo Rapo
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                He!
                I got this great idea to make a little joke..
                It is from Rosala island in Finland, should be
                quite close to WGS84 N59,890030 E022,515420 ;)
                -teppo

                --- neville_young <scubadiver@...> wrote:
                > Teppo
                >
                > You forgot to calibrate one of your maps. No idea of location!
                > http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/teppo.rapo/safeharbour.zip
                >
                > Neville

                http://finance.yahoo.com
              • Teppo Rapo
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                  I need help.
                  I have bunch of maps, with map files of course.
                  MAP files are pointing to .TIF and I have converted
                  all images to PNG's by excellent batch conversion of
                  IrfanView. No I would like to change MAP file to point
                  PNG's instead of TIFs. I could open them one by one
                  and browse the new image but.... Lazy Fin....
                  Any ideas?

                  -teppo

                  http://finance.yahoo.com
                • John Dubbeld
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                    A little program called Mapfix will do that.
                    It used to be on the Oze website.
                    If you can't find it, I can email it to you.
                    John
                    MAPFIX V1.10 now takes three parameters, map file names, new directory spec
                    and new file extension. (thanks Russell)----- Original Message -----

                    > I have bunch of maps, with map files of course.
                    > MAP files are pointing to .TIF and I have converted
                    > all images to PNG's by excellent batch conversion of
                    > IrfanView. No I would like to change MAP file to point
                    > PNG's instead of TIFs. I could open them one by one
                    > and browse the new image but.... Lazy Fin....
                    > Any ideas?
                    >
                    > -teppo

                  • John Dubbeld
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                      I've put Mapfix.exe and Mapfixinstructions.txt in the Utilities folder odf
                      the group's file area.
                      John

                      > I have bunch of maps, with map files of course.
                      > MAP files are pointing to .TIF and I have converted
                      > all images to PNG's by excellent batch conversion of
                      > IrfanView. No I would like to change MAP file to point
                      > PNG's instead of TIFs. I could open them one by one
                      > and browse the new image but.... Lazy Fin....
                      > Any ideas?
                      >
                      > -teppo

                    • Brian Sommerville
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                        The original and the best:

                        http://www.gpsoz.com.au/mapfix.htm

                        Cheers
                        Brian

                        > I have bunch of maps, with map files of course.
                        > MAP files are pointing to .TIF and I have converted
                        > all images to PNG's by excellent batch conversion of IrfanView. No I
                        > would like to change MAP file to point PNG's instead of TIFs. I could
                        > open them one by one and browse the new image but.... Lazy Fin....
                        > Any ideas?
                        >
                        > -teppo

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        ---
                        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                        ---
                      • Teppo Rapo
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                          Thanks!
                          To really be honest with you all, I had that program but
                          did not know how to use it.... or it was not working...
                          This is what I was looking for! Thanks again!
                          -teppo

                          --- Brian Sommerville <brian@...> wrote:
                          > The original and the best:
                          >
                          > http://www.gpsoz.com.au/mapfix.htm
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Brian

                          http://finance.yahoo.com
                        • tepporapo
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                            I do have a mapfix.exe.
                            But, I don't no how to use this....
                            Should I use "run" from start menu? All that happens I try
                            to click to application is that "command promt" window flashes....
                            or what ever it is in Win98, now at office running NT...

                            Thanks in advance:-teppo
                          • John Dubbeld
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                              Run it from a command prompt window

                              > Should I use "run" from start menu? All that happens I try
                              > to click to application is that "command promt" window flashes....
                              > or what ever it is in Win98, now at office running NT...
                              >
                              > Thanks in advance:-teppo

                            • Richard Lemay
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                                Teppo,

                                If the mapfix program did not do it, you could try the script below. You
                                would have to copy the text and pate it in a notepad window and save it with
                                the extension .VBS - A change will be required where indicated. Also,
                                make sure that you only have files that you want to have the .TIF replaced
                                for .PNG in that directory.

                                Richard - ve3spd
                                P.S. I once played Santa on ham radio too while other fello hams were
                                inviting sick children in the local hospital to talk to Santa...

                                Here is the script:

                                Dim fs, fldr, fc, f, ts
                                Dim buff

                                Set fs = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                                Set fldr = fs.GetFolder("d:\program files\ozi\maps\temp") ' You will have
                                to change this to your own folder location
                                Set fc = fldr.files

                                for each f in fc
                                set ts = f.OpenAsTextStream(1,0)
                                buff = ts.readall
                                ts.close
                                buff = replace(buff, ".TIF", ".PNG")
                                set ts = f.OpenAsTextStream(2,0)
                                ts.write(buff)
                                ts.close
                                next

                                I have bunch of maps, with map files of course.
                                MAP files are pointing to .TIF and I have converted
                                all images to PNG's by excellent batch conversion of
                                IrfanView. No I would like to change MAP file to point
                                PNG's instead of TIFs. I could open them one by one
                                and browse the new image but.... Lazy Fin....
                                Any ideas?

                                -teppo

                                http://finance.yahoo.com

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Teppo Rapo
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                                  hi santa!

                                  I took a web lesson about these applications
                                  and I may now know how to do it.... I have to try it.
                                  About scripts.... I know use for them just as much as pig
                                  for a silver spoon... Sorry no skills! Only problem what
                                  I'm having with mapfix is that I don't know how to use
                                  it! ;) Now I may have a slight clue how to proceed with it.
                                  -teppo

                                  --- Richard Lemay <richard_lemay@...> wrote:
                                  > Teppo,
                                  >
                                  > If the mapfix program did not do it, you could try the script
                                  > below. You
                                  > would have to copy the text and pate it in a notepad window and
                                  > save it with
                                  > the extension .VBS - A change will be required where indicated.
                                  > Also,

                                  http://finance.yahoo.com
                                • Rob
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                                    I downloaded the proggy, but when I click, it just flashes the window, no interface anywhere? clues?
                                    Rob
                                    PS tried both versions, I am using Win98SE

                                    2/09/02 10:08:07 PM, "Brian Sommerville" <brian@...> wrote:

                                    >The original and the best:
                                    >
                                    >http://www.gpsoz.com.au/mapfix.htm
                                    >
                                    >Cheers
                                    >Brian

                                  • Brian Sommerville
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                                      Gidday

                                      Yeah run it from a DOS (command or CMD) window

                                      Try mapfix /? For help

                                      Cheers
                                      Brian

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                                        Still no go, even tried opening a dos window and starting mapfix via C:\windows\desktop\mapfix.exe
                                        but all I get then are the comments
                                        Rob

                                        3/09/02 8:13:20 AM, "Brian Sommerville" <brian@...> wrote:

                                        >Gidday
                                        >
                                        >Yeah run it from a DOS (command or CMD) window
                                        >
                                        >Try mapfix /? For help
                                        >
                                        >Cheers
                                        >Brian

                                      • Brian Sommerville
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                                          Gidday

                                          Something like this should work:

                                          D:\OziExplorer\Maps>mapfix
                                          mapfix V1.10 27-May-2000
                                          -v - be verbose (optional)
                                          <filespec> - .map files to fix, wildcards allowed
                                          <dir> - new drive and directory (e.g. 'c:\mydir').
                                          Trailing '\' is optional. Use quotes (") to included
                                          spaces.
                                          <ext> - new extension (e.g. 'tif'). Leading '.' is optional.

                                          Example: mapfix *.map d:\data\maps\images .bmp

                                          D:\OziExplorer\Maps>mapfix -v *.map c:/maps/ .tif
                                          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

                                          Cheers
                                          Brian

                                          Still no go, even tried opening a dos window and starting mapfix via
                                          C:\windows\desktop\mapfix.exe but all I get then are the comments Rob

                                          3/09/02 8:13:20 AM, "Brian Sommerville" <brian@...> wrote:

                                          >Gidday
                                          >
                                          >Yeah run it from a DOS (command or CMD) window
                                          >
                                          >Try mapfix /? For help
                                          >
                                          >Cheers
                                          >Brian

                                        • dtooes
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 2, 2002
                                            Rob

                                            The following is an excerpt from the text file that goes with mapfix.

                                            Also I find it easier to create a .bat file to run mapfix [ call it
                                            mapfix1.bat]
                                            rather than continue to go to a dos window and type things in
                                            remember the .bat file can be edited in notepad just don't double
                                            click as then it will run.

                                            Also mapfix expects to be in the same directory as the files
                                            its "fixing". So copy the mapfix.exe and the mapfix1.bat to the
                                            relevant directory then just double click on the mapfix1.bat file.

                                            Remember that mapfix is not very happy about having spaces in
                                            directory names and doesn't use [ as far as I'm aware] the dos 8
                                            character with a tilde ~ directory name

                                            mapfix V1.10 27-May-2000
                                            -v - be verbose (optional)
                                            <filespec> - .map files to fix, wildcards allowed
                                            <dir> - new drive and directory (e.g. 'c:\mydir').
                                            Trailing '\' is optional. Use quotes (") to included spaces.
                                            <ext> - new extension (e.g. 'tif'). Leading '.' is optional.

                                            e.g. 1

                                            mapfix *.map d:\data\maps\images .bmp
                                            This will take all files with a .map extension and change the 3rd
                                            line (which seems to be where ozi puts the .tif pathname) to the new
                                            specified path (d:\ in this case). It will also change all file
                                            extensions to .BMP

                                            e.g. 2

                                            mapfix sh*.map e:\mymaps\ .tif

                                            This will take all files that start with sh with extension .map and
                                            change the 3rd line to the new specified path (e:\mymaps\ in this
                                            case). Also changes extensions to .tif

                                            --- In OziUsers-L@y..., Rob <wommy@a...> wrote:
                                            > Still no go, even tried opening a dos window and starting mapfix
                                            via C:\windows\desktop\mapfix.exe
                                            > but all I get then are the comments
                                            > Rob
                                            >

                                            > 3/09/02 8:13:20 AM, "Brian Sommerville" <brian@g...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > >Gidday
                                            > >
                                            > >Yeah run it from a DOS (command or CMD) window
                                            > >
                                            > >Try mapfix /? For help
                                            > >
                                            > >Cheers
                                            > >Brian

                                          • Rob
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 3, 2002
                                              Went to a lot of trouble to screen capture the UBD and paste together, ended up with a file 1.2 gig and 4 metres square but looks good.
                                              After conversion to 8 bit colour got the size down to 260 meg and 36 meg then as a tiff packbits.
                                              What I would like now is a streets and/or suburbs namesearch database, does anyone know if there is such a thing.
                                              Rob
                                            • dtooes
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 3, 2002
                                                I don't know of any street name database but there is a suburb and
                                                poi database. Unfortunetly it has a problem with geo-referencing and
                                                David Sirion is going to fix it up when surfaces from his new job

                                                Dave T

                                                --- In OziUsers-L@y..., Rob <wommy@a...> wrote:
                                                > Went to a lot of trouble to screen capture the UBD and paste
                                                together, ended up with a file 1.2 gig and 4 metres square but looks
                                                good.
                                                > After conversion to 8 bit colour got the size down to 260 meg and
                                                36 meg then as a tiff packbits.
                                                > What I would like now is a streets and/or suburbs namesearch
                                                database, does anyone know if there is such a thing.
                                                > Rob
                                              • Rob
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 3, 2002
                                                  Do you know where it is Dave?
                                                  Rob

                                                  4/09/02 9:24:32 AM, "dtooes" <dtooes@...> wrote:

                                                  > To: OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >
                                                  > From: "dtooes" <dtooes@...>
                                                  > Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:24:32 -0000
                                                  > Subject:[OziUsers-L] Re: Sydney UBD
                                                  >

                                                  > I don't know of any street name database but there is a suburb and
                                                  > poi database. Unfortunetly it has a problem with geo-referencing and
                                                  > David Sirion is going to fix it up when surfaces from his new job
                                                  >
                                                  > Dave T
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In OziUsers-L@y..., Rob <wommy@a...> wrote:
                                                  > > Went to a lot of trouble to screen capture the UBD and paste
                                                  > together, ended up with a file 1.2 gig and 4 metres square but looks
                                                  > good.
                                                  > > After conversion to 8 bit colour got the size down to 260 meg and
                                                  > 36 meg then as a tiff packbits.
                                                  > > What I would like now is a streets and/or suburbs namesearch
                                                  > database, does anyone know if there is such a thing.
                                                  > > Rob
                                                  >

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                • Sirion David
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 4, 2002
                                                    I am back, and just getting back on top of things.
                                                    It is high on my priorities.

                                                    I will also make a NameSearch file with the Vic and NSW in the one file.

                                                    This working full time is most definitely only for the working class, and
                                                    not for gentlemen like us on this listserver. Well, only another 4 months
                                                    and 3 weeks to go.

                                                    Regards,
                                                    DA.

                                                    > I don't know of any street name database but there is a suburb and
                                                    > poi database. Unfortunetly it has a problem with geo-referencing and
                                                    > David Sirion is going to fix it up when surfaces from his new job
                                                    >
                                                    > Dave T
                                                  • petere_au
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 4, 2002
                                                      Rob

                                                      I was able to convert the UBD points of interest (beaches, old
                                                      peoples' homes ect AND suburbs into AMG. Can supply details if
                                                      interested.

                                                      pete