SeeYou and Ozi3D tracks replay

  • Bernard Garon
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 12:00 AM
      Hi Neville and Des and all!

      Thanks for the info. How do you convert the
      world vector maps of "seeyou" software to Ozi? I have not seen that on their
      web site.
      As for the track replay feature in Ozi3D, I hope it will be implemented soon
      for this will make Ozi the best of them all.
      Bye the bye, the map print option of OziE could use some improvement as
      well: some kind of WYSIWYG would be usefull...

      Bernard

      Discutez en ligne avec vos amis ! http://messenger.msn.fr
    • neville_young
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 1:41 AM
        Bernard

        This method works for many mapping programs, even in OziExplorer
        itself (useful at times).
        I quote from my previous post to this group:

        I have had considerable success with many similar programs, both
        vector and raster,(even UBD!)by printing the maps with a postscript
        driver.

        This is what I do:

        1. Install a new postscript printer driver - freely available on the
        WWW or Windows CD ( I use HP 2500C Series3).
        2. Fit the area you wish to print on screen (some programs allow
        printing of larger areas).
        3. Print the map using the HP driver (600dpi) and save to a file with
        a .ps extension. Try various paper sizes to alter the file size.
        4. Open the postscript (.ps) file with Photoshop or Paintshop Pro at
        150, 300 or 600dpi. Crop, reduce colours etc.
        5. Save to preferred format (I use .png).

        The ideal size range of the .ps file is between 10 - 250MB.
        Much larger and my PC has a fit.

        Neville

      • philp@e-result.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 3:48 AM
          There is a Save As function that allows you to create a .BMP or .JPG file.

          The BMP works well (haven't tried the JPG) - you just need to specify the size of the BMP image. This seems to determine how much of the map is saved - you need to experiment a bit - but you can calibrate the map OK in OziExplorer (WGS 84 and Long/Lat projection) gives pretty accurate result for UK. You need to turn OFF the overlays (it seems to default to putting the Controlled Airspace areas in. For the UK it has rudimentary features (very major roads, rivers and towns). Not too much use for practical navigation IMHO but nice for plotting long distance tracks for display.

          Looks good with the free DEM data from NASA in Ozi3D.

          Phil

          Thanks for the info. How do you convert the
          world vector maps of "seeyou" software to Ozi? I have not seen that on their web site.
          As for the track replay feature in Ozi3D, I hope it will be implemented soon for this will make Ozi the best of them all.
          Bye the bye, the map print option of OziE could use some improvement as well: some kind of WYSIWYG would be usefull...

          Bernard

          This email is confidential and intended
          solely for the use of the individual to
          whom it is addressed. Any views or
          opinions presented are solely those of
          the author and do not necessarily
          represent those of e-result plc.

          If you are not the intended recipient,
          be advised that you have received this
          email in error and that any use,
          dissemination, forwarding, printing,
          or copying of this email is strictly
          prohibited.

          If you have received this email in error
          please notify the sender by reply or by
          telephone on +44 (0)1422 327000.
        • Robert France
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 5:40 AM
            Folks
            Anyone else getting really odd results with Ozi 3d?

            Big lakes that are on the side of a hill (good for waterskiing without a
            boat?)

            Cheers

            Rob

          • Geoff Greig
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 5:53 AM
              Rob,

              I just got some. But it was because I accentuaded the height and am
              using the one K World DEM data.

              I have found when you have the low resolution DEM data that if you
              increase the the Maximum height factor from 5 to 10 in the
              Configutation, System Tab that the high areas stand out more.

              Geoff Greig
              Brisbane Australia

              Robert France wrote:

              > Folks
              > Anyone else getting really odd results with Ozi 3d?
              >
              > Big lakes that are on the side of a hill (good for waterskiing without
              > boat?)
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Rob

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Sirion David
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1 1:55 PM
                No, not at all. Would depend on the DEM data you have and your map
                calibration. Send me what map you are using, as it is more than likely I
                have it.
                If you are using that free Yankee data, then you will be getting that sort
                of result. It shows the town of the The Rock being the The Rock, with the
                houses and town all draped over the rock and down the near vertical
                sides -pretty damn good of the locals to hang on eh!

                I have had no problems with the Auslig DEM data, and the DE Series II is
                great and accurate.

                Regards,
                DA.

                > Anyone else getting really odd results with Ozi 3d?
                >
                > Big lakes that are on the side of a hill (good for waterskiing without a
                > boat?)
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Rob

              • Robert France
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1 5:26 PM
                  David

                  Yep, that's the problem, significant displacement of 5-10 KM plus.

                  I tried both sets of Yankee data, the second site was better than the
                  first, but still poor.

                  Lake Thompson in the high country would have been a wake boarders dream
                  as you could have done real pipelines along the sides of the lake,
                  however the second problem was that the tracks when load into Ozi
                  overlay fine, but if the map was created then the track added it went
                  miles out, but if the track was added first, map created, then the track
                  overlaid again, all is well.

                  Anyway, as I said to Des, I think I will sit down and read the
                  instructions fully rather than my usual minimalist "how much do I have
                  to read to show something cool!"
                  \
                  Cheers

                  Rob

                  > Anyone else getting really odd results with Ozi 3d?
                  >
                  > Big lakes that are on the side of a hill (good for waterskiing without

                  > boat?)
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Rob

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1 5:28 PM
                    Folks

                    Does anyone have access to good elevation data for VIC/AUS at 1:25,000
                    scale (500m point intervals?)

                    And how much is it??

                    Apologies if this has already been asked.

                    Rob
                  • Robert France
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1 7:50 PM
                      Hi Folks

                      Anyone in Melbourne have this.

                      I have ordered a copy form Des who is currently out of stock, but have
                      some time to play this weekend.

                      Reply offline to rob@...

                      Cheers

                      Rob F
                    • Teppo Rapo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2 1:51 AM
                        I have had some troubles with tracks as well...
                        They are around 200 meters off... same goes with map features.
                        Features which are on spot at OE but ~200 meters off in OE3D.
                        Looks close to amount that would be caused by datum error but
                        it's a bit different than that... I used digital map 1:8000 with
                        perfect calibration. no visible error... Calibration is in Finland
                        Fayford and transverse mercator with Finish settings.
                        -teppo

                        http://sbc.yahoo.com
                      • Robert France
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2 3:05 AM
                          After a chat with Allan and Des this is fixed in the new version 1.03

                          rob

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2 10:05 AM
                            Could be that the fundamental problem was that you were finish before
                            you started!
                            So sorri