Re: [OziUsers-L] Re: New Garmins due in next couple of months

  • Geoff Jamieson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      From what I can see from the Emap brochure, the Emap has exactly the
      same basemap as my Etrex Legend, comparing the Cooma area.

      GJ
      =======

    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        Joe Mehaffrey was the source, he spoke to Garmin and they verified the
        data...

        But... let's wait and see.... the anticipation has waned over five
        years of breath holding!!

        dan

        Michael Fitzgerald wrote:

        > Geez Dan, maybe there's hope yet ... make haste slowly and all that...!
        >
        > Here's a reply I got from Garmin on ... wait for it ... 4th December 2000!
        > The person who sent it was unknown at Garmin when I followed it up 6 months
        > later:
        > Dear Sir:
        > Thank you for contacting Garmin.
        >
        > Sorry in the present time the MapSource is the only software for Garmin
        > products.
        > But in very nearly future [sic] we will have street level detailed maps for
        > South Pacific countries.
        >
        > If you have any questions or inquires, please feel free to contact us anytime.
        > Best regards,
        > Frances Chen
        > Marketing Dept. Garmin (Asia) Corporation
        >
        > At 10:23 PM 28/02/2002 +1100, you wrote:
        >
        >> Straight off the newsgroup...
        >>
        >> Garmin are field testing the SPII and V with, what will probably be
        >> called, Metroguide Australia
        >>
        >> Expect Australian maps built-in to new Garmin units sometime after March
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >> Dan Baker.

      • Roger Fryar/R8/USDAFS
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          This isn't exactly a response to the subject, but there is a new ArcView
          Extension available (for free!) from the Minnesota Division of Natural
          Resources called DNRGarmin that's the slickest means of getting Garmin
          waypoints, tracklog and route info into ArcView...There is a feature that
          allows reprojection into a number of different projections...It is also
          possible to take some info out of the ArcView (polygons for example) and
          upload them into your Garmin...Garmin V would with tthis nesw
          extension...Here is the link
          <http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/Training/WebHelp/Training.htm>...Rog

          Dan Baker
          <heeler@webax To: OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
          s.net> cc:
          Subject: [OziUsers-L] New Garmins due in
          02/28/2002 next couple of months
          05:23 AM
          Please
          respond to
          OziUsers-L

          Straight off the newsgroup...

          Garmin are field testing the SPII and V with, what will probably be
          called, Metroguide Australia

          Expect Australian maps built-in to new Garmin units sometime after March

          Regards,
          Dan Baker.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • burnie_morgan
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2002
            The GPS V and SPIII will be released with a mapping product called
            City Navigator which supports auto routing on both the PC and GPS.
            Best guess is that it will include an unlock code for one state with
            additional states able to be purchased. It is not known if you will be
            able to purchased City Navigator on its own.

            Another product called Metroguide Australia will be released at the
            same time. It is not known if this will support auto routing.

            Release date is March/April (maybe).

            Burnie M
            Sydney
            US model GPS V