RE: [OziUsers-L] Problems with track recording

  • Des Fry
    Message 1 of 15 , May 13, 2013
      I would have thought that specifying a value of 1m forTrack Point Interval
      is not very useful. GPS is only accurate to around 5m for most gps domestic
      gps receivers. Even when standing still my position jumps about a bit
      because of this. Try specifying a value of 10m and then ozi should make a
      better track log.

      You do not say what you are doing when recording gps signals with ozi - are
      you walking, cycling, driving, flying or perhaps sailing?

      If your speed is fairly constant then you could specify a track point
      interval that equates to the distance you travel in 5 seconds.

      Do not confuse track tail with the track log. I don't use moving map on the
      PC, I use Ozi for Android on a tablet. Ozi creates a new track log file for
      each new day that it is used. I understand that in PC moving map you can
      specify that a new track log file is created Daily, Weekly, Monthly or
      Never. Check the Track tab under configuration to change these values.

      You used to be able to specify the track tail length, but I no longer see
      this in my version of Ozi. There was a warning to keep it short so as not
      to slow down screen refresh performance. The track tail roughly equates to
      real time track recording but only shows the most recent section. Does
      anyone know if you can still specify the track tail length? (I'm still using
      V3.95.5r).

      I'm not sure I fully understand your problem with the track tail.

      Des

      Desmond Fry, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK

      Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email

      Message 2 of 15 , May 13, 2013
        Des, you must have an old GPS or recording in a poor location. All of our newer GPS's dont move around when stationery unless we are in a poor location.

        In relation to the track trail, Des has limited it to 10,000 points, so if you record more than 10,000, then while your latest track points continue to be shown, first track points slowly disappear.

        Laurie

        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Des Fry" <desfry@...> wrote:

        > I would have thought that specifying a value of 1m forTrack Point Interval
        > is not very useful. GPS is only accurate to around 5m for most gps domestic
        > gps receivers. Even when standing still my position jumps about a bit
        > because of this. Try specifying a value of 10m and then ozi should make a
        > better track log.
        >

        > You do not say what you are doing when recording gps signals with ozi - are
        > you walking, cycling, driving, flying or perhaps sailing?
        >
        > If your speed is fairly constant then you could specify a track point
        > interval that equates to the distance you travel in 5 seconds.
        >

        > Do not confuse track tail with the track log. I don't use moving map on the
        > PC, I use Ozi for Android on a tablet. Ozi creates a new track log file for
        > each new day that it is used. I understand that in PC moving map you can
        > specify that a new track log file is created Daily, Weekly, Monthly or
        > Never. Check the Track tab under configuration to change these values.
        >

        > You used to be able to specify the track tail length, but I no longer see
        > this in my version of Ozi. There was a warning to keep it short so as not
        > to slow down screen refresh performance. The track tail roughly equates to
        > real time track recording but only shows the most recent section. Does
        > anyone know if you can still specify the track tail length? (I'm still using
        > V3.95.5r).
        >

        > I'm not sure I fully understand your problem with the track tail.
        >

        > Des
        >

        > Desmond Fry, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK
        >
        > Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email

      • Des
        Message 3 of 15 , May 14, 2013
          Hi Laurie

          No, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 out in the open here in the UK and receiving 18 satellites. I'm really puzzled by your assertion that your gps receivers provide sub 1 metre accuracy. Do yours use an augmentation system? Even the US government say the best you can expect for the civilan service (SPS) is 3 metres with a high quality gps receiver. See:
          http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/
          I don't know how accurate glonass is though.
          This morning OziDroid is reporting an HDOP of 13.1ft which I thought referred to the accuracy of the gps position, but I confess I do not fully understand its meaning other than it is dilution of precision. GPSstatus app reports the following: DOP=1.5, HDOP 0.8, VDOP 1.3 but again I don't know what units are used here. Perhaps some of our more experienced gps users can explain it for the benefit of the group.
          In practical terms, I belong to a couple of hiking clubs and several members have gpsrs. When I look at Ozi's track on large scale O.S. walking maps (10K or 25K), I see a tight cluster of 'breadcrumbs' around our position whenever we stop for any length of time eg snack time or picnic lunch. I see this with tracks from various garmin units and android smartphones and my tablet. I interpreted this to mean that the reported gps position varies by around 3 to 5 metres. You must have some pretty wonderful gps receivers if they don't show any movement at all.
          Perhaps other members could comment? Have I misunderstood what you are saying and does the general experience show no movement at all when standing still?

          Thanks for the info about the track tail being limited to 10,000 points. Can you specify how often it records a point for the track tail?

          Regards, Des

          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie" <laurencemiles@...> wrote:

          > Des, you must have an old GPS or recording in a poor location. All of our newer GPS's dont move around when stationery unless we are in a poor location.
          >
          > In relation to the track trail, Des has limited it to 10,000 points, so if you record more than 10,000, then while your latest track points continue to be shown, first track points slowly disappear.
          >
          > Laurie
          >
          > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Des Fry" <desfry@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I would have thought that specifying a value of 1m forTrack Point Interval
          > > is not very useful. GPS is only accurate to around 5m for most gps domestic
          > > gps receivers. Even when standing still my position jumps about a bit
          > > because of this. Try specifying a value of 10m and then ozi should make a
          > > better track log.
          > >

          > > You do not say what you are doing when recording gps signals with ozi - are
          > > you walking, cycling, driving, flying or perhaps sailing?
          > >
          > > If your speed is fairly constant then you could specify a track point
          > > interval that equates to the distance you travel in 5 seconds.
          > >

          > > Do not confuse track tail with the track log. I don't use moving map on the
          > > PC, I use Ozi for Android on a tablet. Ozi creates a new track log file for
          > > each new day that it is used. I understand that in PC moving map you can
          > > specify that a new track log file is created Daily, Weekly, Monthly or
          > > Never. Check the Track tab under configuration to change these values.
          > >

          > > You used to be able to specify the track tail length, but I no longer see
          > > this in my version of Ozi. There was a warning to keep it short so as not
          > > to slow down screen refresh performance. The track tail roughly equates to
          > > real time track recording but only shows the most recent section. Does
          > > anyone know if you can still specify the track tail length? (I'm still using
          > > V3.95.5r).
          > >

          > > I'm not sure I fully understand your problem with the track tail.
          > >

          > > Des
          > >

          > > Desmond Fry, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK
          > >
          > > Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email

        • kaptain_mila
          Message 4 of 15 , May 14, 2013
            Hi Des, Hi Laurie,

            Before to going into the jungle of accuracy do not forget my original topic! :)

            I am currently sailing with Ozi, but it is irrelevant in point of view of track recording.
            I miss the option to record the track log in time base. E.g.: recording in every second (as coming from the GPS device) In this way I can record a RAW track of my. (and analyse it later.)

            I am still in the opinion: the track log management is very confuse in Ozi. There is no concept inside only they followed the history, the needs. Unfortunately they missed one important feature the real time tracking.

            -mila-

            p.s.: The workaround I am using to record the raw NMEA sentences with the GpsGate software. I can omit GpsGate as soon the time base log recording would implemented in Ozi.

            -mila-

            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Des" <desfry@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > each new day that it is used. I understand that in PC moving map you can
            > > > specify that a new track log file is created Daily, Weekly, Monthly or
            > > > Never. Check the Track tab under configuration to change these values.
            > > >

            > > > You used to be able to specify the track tail length, but I no longer see
            > > > this in my version of Ozi. There was a warning to keep it short so as not
            > > > to slow down screen refresh performance. The track tail roughly equates to
            > > > real time track recording but only shows the most recent section. Does
            > > > anyone know if you can still specify the track tail length? (I'm still using
            > > > V3.95.5r).
            > > >

            > > > I'm not sure I fully understand your problem with the track tail.
            > > >

            > > > Des
            > > >

            > > > Desmond Fry, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK
            > > >
            > > > Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email

          • David Read
            Message 5 of 15 , May 14, 2013
              Hi all
              AFAIK, all dilution of precision, whether it be horizontal or vertical
              is a product of the ever changing satellite constellation patterns
              locked on to in every given update period (usually every second).

              The satellites are not geostationary, and most gps instruments will keep
              testing signal strength and go for the satellites with the strongest
              signal path and discard the satellites with the weaker signals.

              If the average of the locked on satellites are in the same sector of
              sky, the DOP will be large.
              If the average of the locked on satellites are spread across the whole
              sky, the DOP will be smaller.

              IMHO, basic geometric triangulation also indicates that the vertical DOP
              will always be worse than the horizontal DOP.

              I would suspect that some receivers may use a longer sampling time, or
              hang on to a slowly weakening satellite signal longer than others.

              I have always experienced an increased "vagueness" of position,
              especially at low speed (ie. walking) compared to a vehicle track.

              My $0.02 worth

              Cheers
              Dave
              South Oz

              Message 6 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                On 14-May-13 6:35 PM, kaptain_mila wrote:
                > Hi Des, Hi Laurie,
                >
                > Before to going into the jungle of accuracy do not forget my original
                > topic! :)

                Sorry Mila, guilty as charged .....
                ;-)

                > I am currently sailing with Ozi, but it is irrelevant in point of view
                > of track recording.
                > I miss the option to record the track log in time base. E.g.: recording
                > in every second (as coming from the GPS device) In this way I can record
                > a RAW track of my. (and analyse it later.)

                Isn't this a function of some gps's where you can set the "breadcrumbs"
                to be released at time or distance intervals?

                In the dim, dark depths of my fading grey cells, I do recall my Magellan
                eXplorist 500 could be set this way.

                I used to download the track from the 500 at the end of every day or
                sooner, as I had only 1000 track points to play with and I used to
                calculate the expected distance or time between points and set the time
                in seconds or distance in metres so that the 1000 point limit was not
                reached when it would start "munching" the earlier points.

                Cheers
                Dave
                South Oz
              • Bert
                Message 7 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                  I personally often, but not always, get an accuracy of 1 meter or less.
                  I drive into the parking place, and back in the car, and the GPS logs my
                  movements exactly.

                  Partly it is a matter of the GPS signal, the receiver, but most of all
                  the calculations inside the system. Once the system/receiver got the
                  data, it has to calculate a position from it, that takes a moment
                  depending on availability of the processor and memory, and speed of
                  processor and memory, and eliminate all spurious signals and
                  reflections. The better this algorithm is, the more accurate the position.

                  As an example. If you steadily drive down a road in 50 K, and sudenly
                  the GPS system get a position witch mean that turned 90 degrees at 250
                  K, it should ignore that reading. This is also why the positions that
                  make up the track often are not in a regular time interval. If you sit
                  stationary at the side of a road with big trucks passing, causing
                  reflections, you are bound to get a bit of "jumping around", if I park
                  the car on a country road on a plain, I get no "jumping around" at all.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                    Why not play around a bit with the Track configuration, as the Track
                    Point Reduction Factor. I am not sure how it works, haven't tried, but
                    could it mean that the lower the number the more track points are
                    calculated, until the processor and memory can't keep up.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                      Users of Ozi for Android should note that the Track Tail has a maximum of
                      only 1,000 points (see latest help file, extract follows) –

                      Working with Tracks
                      Track Tail
                      The track tail keeps a temporary record of where you have been. The tail is
                      only 1,000 points but can record a reasonable distance because of the
                      "smart" logging of track points.
                      If you want to see where you have been over a larger distance then use "Log
                      track to File" to keep a track for each day. The logged track can then be
                      loaded as a user track to see where you have been

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                        Gentlemen,
                        you are going farer and farer for the original topic.
                        Why there isn't an option to record the track in time base in
                        OziExplorer? (e.g.: in every 1 second)
                        The second question: Why there isn't user interface to show/hide/delete
                        the recorded track into the "Track Tail Log.dat"
                        Anyway I could answer both of them: They haven't implemented it.
                        Is this a big whish to implement a time base track log recording? (I
                        suppose it is much more easier task than the distance base, the actual
                        one.) There is a time stamp in the data coming from the GPS hardware.
                        ($GPRMC)

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                          On 14-May-13 11:17 PM, kaptain_mila wrote:
                          > Gentlemen,
                          > you are going farer and farer for the original topic.
                          > Why there isn't an option to record the track in time base in
                          > OziExplorer? (e.g.: in every 1 second)

                          Ozi cannot *create* trackpoints .... that is the function of the GPSr.
                          Ozi just *displays* the points.
                          If the GPSr was creating trackpoints at one second intervals, then Ozi
                          would display them as such.

                          > The second question: Why there isn't user interface to show/hide
                          > delete the recorded track into the "Track Tail Log.dat"

                          You would need to contact Des directly at info@...

                          Cheers
                          Dave
                          South Oz
                        • David Read
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                            Mila,
                            are you referring to trackpoints created whilst sailing or manually
                            creating trackpoints with Ozi?

                            On 15-May-13 6:57 AM, David Read dribbled:

                            > Ozi cannot *create* trackpoints .... that is the function of the GPSr.
                            > Ozi just *displays* the points.

                            What a load of twaddle! <blush> Senior moment!
                            ;-)
                            I was referring above to trackpoints created during a trip.

                            Of course you can create trackpoints manually with the Ozi software.

                            Is this what you are trying to do mila? Manually generate trackpoints on
                            a map at 1 second intervals using Ozi?

                            Cheers
                            Dave
                            South Oz
                          • Brian (GPSOZ)
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 14, 2013
                              >Ozi cannot *create* trackpoints .... that is the function of the GPSr.
                              >Ozi just *displays* the points.

                              But if I'm using a 5hz or 20hz GPS receiver will Ozi display all track
                              points created? Must try...

                              Cheers
                              brian
                            • Ian
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 15, 2013
                                There may be no option available because Des may never have been in your
                                situation. It may help if you email him and explain what you require and
                                why and perhaps request adding seconds, minutes and hours to the options
                                as well as the current distance options.

                                cheers, Ian